Northland Given to Southern Baptists

FSSL

Staff member
Administrator
Doctor
Reaction score
I know this is out of the proper category... but isn't everything now!

Northland International University (formerly, Northland Baptist Bible College) just became a Southern Baptist College.

My facebook friends are lighting up their statuses. How about yours?

Now at Northland, you will be able to receive your education DIRECTLY from Mohler!

Sign Alayman up.

FSSL said:
I know this is out of the proper category... but isn't everything now!

Northland International University (formerly, Northland Baptist Bible College) just became a Southern Baptist College.

My facebook friends are lighting up their statuses. How about yours?
I blame Maranatha Baptist Uni. ;)

This is going to happen to Piedmont soon as well. When you go from "_______ Baptist College" to "________ International University", it will probably not late. Especially w/ another fundie school near by.

Maranatha will face this in the not too distant future. BJU is 1/2 of what it used to be in matriculation. I agree. IFB schools are coming to their close.

Fundamentalist history is repeating itself.

If there are no more fundamentalist colleges
... there will be no more fundamentalists
... there will be no more FFF!!!

I actually grew up not too far from Northland. We did quite a bit of work on their campus and some of their buildings. I knew the founder and his family. I went there to summer Bible camp when I was 8 years old. Northland is in an area that is about 40 miles from anywhere. No large towns, no jobs, not much of anything. You absolutely have to want to go there to go there. Unless you love the Northwoods because it is IN THE WOODS!

I am just curious but has anyone else ever been up there?

Will Northland serve grits now?

Bob H said:

Good question.  And probably the most important one, too. 

Speaking of which, I had Texas style grits a couple weeks ago.  They weren't very good.  I prefer the real southern kind. 

Web said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
Bob H said:

Good question.  And probably the most important one, too. 

Speaking of which, I had Texas style grits a couple weeks ago.  They weren't very good.  I prefer the real southern kind.

What are Texas style grits?  I love me some good grits.

Well, I probably shouldn't have assumed they were a standard Texas style, but it's the first time I had them this way, and it was in Texas.  I'm pretty sure it was just dried regular corn, chopped up and then cooked until soft.  That's not grits.  That's just, well, cooked dried corn.  You'd think that would be good, since there was no limewater or hulling involved.  But it wasn't.  And butter, salt and pepper didn't help. 

Web said:
Well, tell me what good Texas Grits are!  I have family there, and I want to find the best place for them!  :)

Well, I've never been here, so I can't testify personally, but Magnolia Pancake Haus has a reputation for the best grits in south/central Texas.  I've heard nothing but good things about the place regarding all their food. 

Give me grits to go with my cheese. THAT is the only way I like them!

Grits is one of the FEW things I can tolerate in The South.

Also, Cajun boiled peanuts.

My people invented both, so I suppose the taste for em must be genetic.

Sweet Tea...  gag me!

So who "owned" Northland that they were able to "give" it to the SBC?

I am confused. I thought the SBC didn't "own" things. Just a cooperative fellowship. Even back when the GARBC "approved" schools they didn't "own" any of them.

subllibrm said:
So who "owned" Northland that they were able to "give" it to the SBC?

I am confused. I thought the SBC didn't "own" things. Just a cooperative fellowship. Even back when the GARBC "approved" schools they didn't "own" any of them.
The Patz family obviously held the purse.

It is probably a good thing. Had Northland been owned by a number of churches, it would be empty facilities in the middle of the woods.

Southern Baptist Theological Seminary is owned by the Seminary itself and governed by a board of trustees. Most of its funding comes from its endowment with only about 30% coming from the Cooperative Program. The seminaries are "affiliated" with the SBC, not owned by it.