Notable Christians who died in 2021.

Tarheel Baptist

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
The definition of Christian is very broad, I note.

Well, I recognized 3 of the names. Guess the definition of "notable" is very broad as well.
And I'm guessing that the use of the word "Christian" is very broad as well. Many of those didn't preach Jesus Christ...Prosperity gospel ISN'T Christ....Faith healing isn't Christ....and much of the other "doctrine" being preached by these people hardly qualifies as Biblical!

Quite a rogue's gallery. With regard to most of these dearly departed, the article could have been titled "Goodbye, Good Riddance."

"THE PRICE IS RIGHT." The article about Frederick F. C. Price mentioned that he was a prosperity preacher and a buddy of Kenneth Copeland, but it didn't bring out that Price was a proponent of faith healing, which raises the question, why did he die of sickness (Covid)? His relatives answered that question when they said, “We accept his decision to go as he got a glimpse of glory a few weeks ago." The more extreme charismatics believe that as long as you have faith, you need not ever die and you can live forever. Looking at it from that point of view, the only reason Fred Price died was because he voluntarily decided to check out of this life and go to heaven.

For more on Price's theological heresy, see this link:

Frederick K.C. Price - Apologetics Index

"Despite telling his followers that he doesn’t allow sickness in his home, Price’s wife has been treated for cancer in her pelvic area. Referring to his wealth, Price says the reason he drives a Rolls Royce is that he is following in Jesus’ steps."

Don't even let me get started on Wrong Spong, Bishop Tut Tut, etc.

His political and theological liberalism notwithstanding, Desmond Tutu was, by all accounts, a warm-hearted and conscientious individual who strove for genuine racial reconciliation.

Spong, on the other hand, was an undisguised wolf whose career consisted primarily of denying every major tenet of the church of which he was a bishop.

Quite a rogue's gallery. With regard to most of these dearly departed, the article could have been titled "Goodbye, Good Riddance."

"THE PRICE IS RIGHT." The article about Frederick F. C. Price mentioned that he was a prosperity preacher and a buddy of Kenneth Copeland, but it didn't bring out that Price was a proponent of faith healing, which raises the question, why did he die of sickness (Covid)? His relatives answered that question when they said, “We accept his decision to go as he got a glimpse of glory a few weeks ago." The more extreme charismatics believe that as long as you have faith, you need not ever die and you can live forever. Looking at it from that point of view, the only reason Fred Price died was because he voluntarily decided to check out of this life and go to heaven.

For more on Price's theological heresy, see this link:

Frederick K.C. Price - Apologetics Index

"Despite telling his followers that he doesn’t allow sickness in his home, Price’s wife has been treated for cancer in her pelvic area. Referring to his wealth, Price says the reason he drives a Rolls Royce is that he is following in Jesus’ steps."

R.I.P. K.C. Price "Is Right"

Giving credit where credit is due - Bishop Tutu was a liberal, but yes, he did, and said, some very noble things, such as opposing the barbaric practice of "necklacing."

A tribute to Archbishop Desmond Tutu – a moral giant of our age - BizNews.com

"In 1985, Tutu intervened to stop an angry crowd in Eastern Johannesburg as it tried to 'necklace' a Duduza man suspected of assisting apartheid security forces. 'Necklacing' is a form of mob violence in which a crowd forces a tyre around a person’s neck and sets it alight. 'For a few tense moments, the 53-year-old Tutu, who won the Nobel Peace Prize last year … seemed to be in danger himself as the mob surged around the diminutive prelate in his purple cassock,' the Los Angeles Times reported. When black political leaders were finally released from prison in 1990, Tutu left the political stage to Nelson Mandela and others, while reserving and exercising the right to criticise politicians of any stripe, including Mandela himself, for their failures to live up to his and their ideals. Always his ideals were deeply embedded in faith, justice and ubuntu."

I knew 7 of them. Ernest Angley stands out in my mind prominently, most likely because I remember his Ohio-based ministry being on my TV when I was an unsaved kid and he was one of those faith healers who would slap people on the forehead and knock them to the ground, claiming he healed them. I thought it was bizarre, funny, and confusing.... wondered if that's what Christianity was really all about. It's sad that those in TV under the guise of Christianity are often charlatans who mislead gullible and vulnerable souls.

Giving credit where credit is due - Bishop Tutu was a liberal, but yes, he did, and said, some very noble things, such as opposing the barbaric practice of "necklacing."

A tribute to Archbishop Desmond Tutu – a moral giant of our age - BizNews.com

"In 1985, Tutu intervened to stop an angry crowd in Eastern Johannesburg as it tried to 'necklace' a Duduza man suspected of assisting apartheid security forces. 'Necklacing' is a form of mob violence in which a crowd forces a tyre around a person’s neck and sets it alight. 'For a few tense moments, the 53-year-old Tutu, who won the Nobel Peace Prize last year … seemed to be in danger himself as the mob surged around the diminutive prelate in his purple cassock,' the Los Angeles Times reported. When black political leaders were finally released from prison in 1990, Tutu left the political stage to Nelson Mandela and others, while reserving and exercising the right to criticise politicians of any stripe, including Mandela himself, for their failures to live up to his and their ideals. Always his ideals were deeply embedded in faith, justice and ubuntu."
I presume that he was indeed a moral man who fought for justice for his people who suffered under apartheid. In religion, those are the things that matter. I wonder if he understood the true tenants of salvation. I hope he did.
I also wonder how many of the people on the ‘notable’ list were truly saved by the grace of God?

I knew 7 of them. Ernest Angley stands out in my mind prominently, most likely because I remember his Ohio-based ministry being on my TV when I was an unsaved kid and he was one of those faith healers who would slap people on the forehead and knock them to the ground, claiming he healed them. I thought it was bizarre, funny, and confusing.... wondered if that's what Christianity was really all about. It's sad that those in TV under the guise of Christianity are often charlatans who mislead gullible and vulnerable souls.
I never heard Ernest Angley, but in college, my roommate would mockingly mimic him, so I've heard the name.

"...his decision to go" struck me as extremely arrogant, as if he could overrule the Lord God.
Thanks for the analysis.

I don't KNOW any of them, but I have heard of:
  • Luis Palau
  • Earnest Angley
  • David Yonggi Cho
  • Desmond Tutu
I've never heard of William Horne, but of all of the ones on the list, he sounded like a decent person... reading this thread, Desmond Tutu also sounds like he was a decent human being.

I don't KNOW any of them, but I have heard of:
  • Luis Palau
  • Earnest Angley
  • David Yonggi Cho
  • Desmond Tutu
I've never heard of William Horne, but of all of the ones on the list, he sounded like a decent person... reading this thread, Desmond Tutu also sounds like he was a decent human being.
It's too bad that being a "decent human being" can't get one into heaven! They'd surely go...but I sincerely doubt their salvation as they didn't seem to follow the tenets of Christianity, but rather a Social Justice Gospel!

I don't remember what comedian it was, but I remember a skit from many, many moons ago where the guy said that he went to a faith healing tent revival (or something like that), and the preacher proclaimed 'in the name of Jesus' while hitting the comedian's forehead, but he didn't go down, so the preacher kept hitting him on the forehead while proclaiming 'in the name of jesus Jesus JESUS.' The comedian said he never did go down, but did get back in the 'healing line.' When he got to the preacher, the preacher asked 'weren't you just here?' The comedian said, 'yeah, but now I have headache.'

Sorry to go off topic; please carry on with the regularly scheduled conversation. :D

I don't remember what comedian it was, but I remember a skit from many, many moons ago where the guy said that he went to a faith healing tent revival (or something like that), and the preacher proclaimed 'in the name of Jesus' while hitting the comedian's forehead, but he didn't go down, so the preacher kept hitting him on the forehead while proclaiming 'in the name of jesus Jesus JESUS.' The comedian said he never did go down, but did get back in the 'healing line.' When he got to the preacher, the preacher asked 'weren't you just here?' The comedian said, 'yeah, but now I have headache.'

Sorry to go off topic; please carry on with the regularly scheduled conversation. :D
Literally laughed out loud! 😂

I finally remembered that it was Mike Warnke who did the bit. Yeah, that Mike Warnke. Did some hunting around on YouTube and found a clip that includes the routine. It begins at the 4:17 point of the video