Oh My goodness~!

BALAAM

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
I got witnessed to today by a lady who would have put most of you hacker girls to shame. Was in their house and they had several bibles around and she was telling me what a blessing I was (I know). I asked her where they went to church and she started on and on about being raised catholic and never knowing the bible and getting saved etc. She was Presbyterian! She knew the bible and was preaching to me about the great commission and the book of James. I said, "And here I thought we were the only ones that were preaching the gospel!" She went on and on about the gospel being for christians and not just a certain sect. Wish I could have recorded it!

Yes,  good news to hear on a rainy Saturday afternoon! 

Tom Brennan said:
Orthodox Presbyterian by chance?

Not sure. She was quite overbearing and kind of annoying but you absolutely could not miss her Zeal for the Lord. I will be back there this week and pump her husband for a little more info.

Evangelism Explosion is a soul wining outreach program sponsored by the former D. James Kennedy. A prominent Presbyterian pastor.

Hard core classical Calvinist, btw.

BALAAM said:
Tom Brennan said:

Not sure. She was quite overbearing and kind of annoying but you absolutely could not miss her Zeal for the Lord. I will be back there this week and pump her husband for a little more info.

Patriotic witnessed to you???

RAIDER said:
BALAAM said:
Tom Brennan said:

Patriotic witnessed to you???

He'd be saved now if I did.  ;) 
(Jk, Balaam)

Jim Jones said:
Evangelism Explosion is a soul wining outreach program sponsored by the former D. James Kennedy. A prominent Presbyterian pastor.
Forgive my ignorance

Why would a "hard core, classical Calvinist" promote Evangelism unless it was for church growth purposes.

I thought the "Elect" & Unconditional election (verses conditional election) says those who were chosen by God to be saved will be and the rest are completely out of luck. Sorry for my simplistic theology here.

sword said:
Jim Jones said:
Forgive my ignorance

Why would a "hard core, classical Calvinist" promote Evangelism unless it was for church growth purposes.

I thought the "Elect" & Unconditional election (verses conditional election) says those who were chosen by God to be saved will be and the rest are completely out of luck. Sorry for my simplistic theology here.

Kennedy was not viewed as a hard core Calvinist back in the 70s when he was one of my Grandma's favorites on TV and that same time frame when EE came out. My Dad used that program to become an actual "soul winner" through that, although he often led people to the Lord in hospitals and church visitation. Any teenager and adult in Dad's church could go through the program every week.
I was only in grade school, but my other siblings  and I stayed in the next room at church during the classes, and we behaved  without an adult actually staying  in there with us.  Of course, we knew Mom could see and hear through the block  walls.  She was like Superman.

I suppose the Methodist, Presbyterians & Lutheran church have changed a lot in one lifetime.

I guess the same could be said for most Baptists as well.

sword said:
Jim Jones said:
Forgive my ignorance

EE simply said, "We don't know who those are."

Thus, we must all share the gospel and then let Him sort out the elect.

Jim Jones said:
sword said:
Jim Jones said:
Forgive my ignorance

EE simply said, "We don't know who those are."

Thus, we must all share the gospel and then let Him sort out the elect.

Exactly.
The 'Calvinists' I'm familiar with see as many people come to Christ and baptized in their ministries/churches as do the 'non calvinists' I know.

BALAAM said:
I got witnessed to today by a lady who would have put most of you hacker girls to shame. Was in their house and they had several bibles around and she was telling me what a blessing I was (I know). I asked her where they went to church and she started on and on about being raised catholic and never knowing the bible and getting saved etc. She was Presbyterian! She knew the bible and was preaching to me about the great commission and the book of James. I said, "And here I thought we were the only ones that were preaching the gospel!" She went on and on about the gospel being for christians and not just a certain sect. Wish I could have recorded it!

I bet your wife paid her.  hahaha