One Church, Many Campuses

HeDied4U

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Would like to hear your thoughts on churches that have multiple locations, especially with the preaching coming from the "home" campus and shown on a video screen.

I'll be visiting the church of a friend tomorrow that is a "satellite" church. My understanding is that they have a "campus" pastor but he doesn't do any preaching.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I would think people would want their own "preaching" pastor at their church, even if he's just preaching the same message as at the "main" campus.

Thanks for all comments.

:)

HeDied4U said:
Would like to hear your thoughts on churches that have multiple locations, especially with the preaching coming from the "home" campus and shown on a video screen.

I'll be visiting the church of a friend tomorrow that is a "satellite" church. My understanding is that they have a "campus" pastor but he doesn't do any preaching.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I would think people would want their own "preaching" pastor at their church, even if he's just preaching the same message as at the "main" campus.

Thanks for all comments.

This has always seemed to me to be a very Catholic approach to church organization.

HeDied4U said:

Sounds like a Biblical pastor to me.

To me this is another example of the personality driven church...only the headline guy can preach and teach his adoring fans!

Good replies so far. I appreciate your comments.

Let me toss out a follow-up question...

I have the original question posted on another Christian forum, and have gotten some good responses there as well. There was one response, while I agreed with most of what was said in it, did contain one sentence I had to question. "A church is a local assembly - a "satellite" church, IMHO is an oxymoron. Hebrews 10:25 tells us 'not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together.' Having someone on a big screen is NOT assembling together."

As I answered on the other site...."How is it not assembling together? There is 'live' praise and worship music, so the people have come (gathered) together to praise the Lord. I would hope that among the people, there are folks who are encouraging one another. While I'm not comfortable with the thought of the preaching coming via video feed, the saints have gathered together for the service. Does there actually have to be a preacher 'on site' for it to be considered an official gathering of the saints? Would then a home Bible study not qualify as saints meeting / assembling / gathering together?"

Thoughts?

Once again, thanks!!

Other than the fact such churches often preach the gospel the set up is awful. As mentioned it breeds a church following a personality instead of the truth. Further, it removes the pastor from the people so that the one that is feeding them spiritually they do not know at all. That was never God's design. Even worse, it is nothing more or less than trendy denominationalism. And as an independent Baptist by conviction that bothers me to no end. As Wilkinson said it is Catholic. And there are lots of demons further down that road. Additionally, they breed the attitude that church is something I go and watch rather than somewhere I connect to and minister with and in. It is television church from your couch with a few more bells and whistles and that is never conducive to mature spirituality over the long term.

Tom Brennan said:
Other than the fact such churches often preach the gospel the set up is awful. As mentioned it breeds a church following a personality instead of the truth. Further, it removes the pastor from the people so that the one that is feeding them spiritually they do not know at all. That was never God's design. Even worse, it is nothing more or less than trendy denominationalism. And as an independent Baptist by conviction that bothers me to no end. As Wilkinson said it is Catholic. And there are lots of demons further down that road. Additionally, they breed the attitude that church is something I go and watch rather than somewhere I connect to and minister with and in. It is television church from your couch with a few more bells and whistles and that is never conducive to mature spirituality over the long term.
It was God's design to have an elder rule church assembly, we don't see that happening, do we?

Well, somehow I totally misunderstood my friend.

Turns out that each campus pastor actually does deliver the sermon at his location. It's the same sermon outline used at each campus, but delivered in the style of each individual pastor.

This afternoon, I looked up a couple of the other campuses online to see if their sermon had been posted online. Only one campus had it posted. Listened to it and was able to follow the same outline as I heard this morning, but it wasn't an exact word for word delivery that I heard this morning. I will admit that I liked it better the way I heard it in person.

Overall the service was very good. I liked the fact that they had a choir to accompany the praise band. The music was contemporary, but I didn't feel like I was at a Christian rock concert like some churches I've been in. The folks were friendly and made me feel welcome. If I was searching for a new church to call home, I could see me giving it strong consideration.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate all of your input.

HeDied4U said:

Turns out that each campus pastor actually does deliver the sermon at his location. It's the same sermon outline used at each campus, but delivered in the style of each individual pastor.

This afternoon, I looked up a couple of the other campuses online to see if their sermon had been posted online. Only one campus had it posted. Listened to it and was able to follow the same outline as I heard this morning, but it wasn't an exact word for word delivery that I heard this morning. I will admit that I liked it better the way I heard it in person.

Overall the service was very good. I liked the fact that they had a choir to accompany the praise band. The music was contemporary, but I didn't feel like I was at a Christian rock concert like some churches I've been in. The folks were friendly and made me feel welcome. If I was searching for a new church to call home, I could see me giving it strong consideration.

Here is how the Catholic Church distributes materials for their local churches.

The Roman Catholic Missal is a liturgical book outlining the instructions and prayers necessary for the celebration of the Catholic Mass throughout the year. The word 'Missal' is taken from the Latin word 'missa', meaning 'sent'. There are a variety of Catholic Missals available, such as Daily Missals, Weekly Missals, or Sunday Missals. Aside from the standard Roman Missal one can also find Marian Missals, Spanish Missals and children’s Missals. With your personal copy of the Roman Missal you are able to reflect on the Mass readings at your leisure.

The common sermons in this church reminds me for sure of the Catholic system of the Missal system of common liturgical service across the Roman Catholic Church.

https://www.catholiccompany.com/missals-c478/

The Catholics also have Church wide common sermons known as homilies.

Here is a link to free homilies for cheap Catholics.

http://www.catholicdoors.com/links/sermon.htm

Their system seems so Catholic.

They are definitely not Catholic.

I think I read on their website that they are part of the Reformed Church in America.

I don't think it's a good idea at all. It's driven by the rapid expansion of megachurches. It's a case of the church leadership becoming more and more distant from the people they serve, and that's a bad thing.

Pastor is a Rock Star! Thousands of lives they have influenced for God but somehow never found among that multitude another man who could preach.  8)

I'd say the question hinges on the person. I'm certain that the various leaders of the early church drew large crowds from surrounding areas. If the "person" is a true leader, then there is nothing wrong with it. A "true leader" knows that he can't do things alone and that local leadership is important.

Tom Brennan said:

I think all the same arguments would apply to Jack Hyles and FBC.

bgwilkinson said:
HeDied4U said:

Here is how the Catholic Church distributes materials for their local churches.

The Roman Catholic Missal is a liturgical book outlining the instructions and prayers necessary for the celebration of the Catholic Mass throughout the year. The word 'Missal' is taken from the Latin word 'missa', meaning 'sent'. There are a variety of Catholic Missals available, such as Daily Missals, Weekly Missals, or Sunday Missals. Aside from the standard Roman Missal one can also find Marian Missals, Spanish Missals and children’s Missals. With your personal copy of the Roman Missal you are able to reflect on the Mass readings at your leisure.

The common sermons in this church reminds me for sure of the Catholic system of the Missal system of common liturgical service across the Roman Catholic Church.

https://www.catholiccompany.com/missals-c478/

The Catholics also have Church wide common sermons known as homilies.

Here is a link to free homilies for cheap Catholics.

http://www.catholicdoors.com/links/sermon.htm

Their system seems so Catholic.

Do you believe the fact that they all preach the same sermon is wrong/unbiblical?
Apart from it's content?
If so, do you feel the same way about standardized Sunday School literature?

subllibrm said:
Pastor is a Rock Star! Thousands of lives they have influenced for God but somehow never found among that multitude another man who could preach.  8)

If each campus has a different pastor/teacher/preacher, who becomes the Rock star?

We did this for a number of years: rented a 500-seat lecture hall/theatre at a local university, where the sermons were usually delivered via video.

It was always intended as a temporary measure while our current building was under construction. Throughout it was continuously stressed that we were one church in two locations.

These days we are still growing, and instead of a multi-site church, we're working on a more traditional church plant in a local neighbourhood without an evangelical presence.

Tarheel Baptist said:
subllibrm said:

If each campus has a different pastor/teacher/preacher, who becomes the Rock star?

The one I was thinking near here has the same guy piped into three other "campuses". Four congregations tallied up as one, three of which get to watch the pastor on television. Why didn't they just plant three churches with their own pastors? Why do they not have other men who could preach? You know, the whole teach faithful men who will teach others kind of thing. In the case I am referring to it's pushing 20k people now. So why is he a rock star? Because it is about branding the pastor/church, not about the great commission IMO.

To your question, if each has it's own leadership then what is the "satellite" being referred to? Wouldn't they just be sister churches?

BTW while there is a certain "me too" thinking in IFB (Wally Beebe bus training on vinyl! Get yours now. Let the Methodist have the vans, amen?) it also happens elsewhere. If satellite is how Rick Warren and Andy Stanley can minister to so many thousands of people then it must be the right was to grow the church, right?

Ransom said:
We did this for a number of years: rented a 500-seat lecture hall/theatre at a local university, where the sermons were usually delivered via video.

It was always intended as a temporary measure while our current building was under construction. Throughout it was continuously stressed that we were one church in two locations.

These days we are still growing, and instead of a multi-site church, we're working on a more traditional church plant in a local neighbourhood without an evangelical presence.

And, I see nothing wrong with either method.
The video venue would not 'work' for older people (like me), but younger generations seem to have no problem with it.

A large percentage of church plants fail...and the viability rate for multi-campus congregations is much higher.
Our church plans to start another campus in the future, Lord willing.
We plan to have a campus pastor who does most of the preaching, but I will also preach some.

Plans are to eventually let it become an autonomous church.

subllibrm said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
subllibrm said:

The one I was thinking near here has the same guy piped into three other "campuses". Four congregations tallied up as one, three of which get to watch the pastor on television. Why didn't they just plant three churches with their own pastors? Why do they not have other men who could preach? You know, the whole teach faithful men who will teach others kind of thing. In the case I am referring to it's pushing 20k people now. So why is he a rock star? Because it is about branding the pastor/church, not about the great commission IMO.

To your question, if each has it's own leadership then what is the "satellite" being referred to? Wouldn't they just be sister churches?

BTW while there is a certain "me too" thinking in IFB (Wally Beebe bus training on vinyl! Get yours now. Let the Methodist have the vans, amen?) it also happens elsewhere. If satellite is how Rick Warren and Andy Stanley can minister to so many thousands of people then it must be the right was to grow the church, right?

I don't know the reasoning behind their decision, obviously.
But, personally, I see nothing wrong with the concept...not to say it hasn't been abused or misused...but to say it's always  wrong and motivated by pride is also wrong. I was very active in church planting for 20 years and they very often fail.
So for an established church to use their staff and their proven methods to plant satellites is not wrong.

But, that's just me....