Open Championship

As a fellow southpaw, I felt like I helped Harman win that Claret jug. ;)

As a fellow southpaw, I felt like I helped Harman win that Claret jug. ;)
He’s like Phil—right handed but swinging lefty. Happy for him, seems like a nice guy. I’m not from Savannah, but grew up not far away, so almost feels like a hometown win.

He’s like Phil—right handed but swinging lefty. Happy for him, seems like a nice guy. I’m not from Savannah, but grew up not far away, so almost feels like a hometown win.

Ironically, I am right-hand dominant, but do everything that involves the swinging of something using two hands (golf club, baseball bat, etc) from the left side. That's because I had 3 older brothers who were very sports-minded and at least 6 years older than me, so when I started playing sports/baseball they decided that the advantages of being a left-handed hitter was worth molding me in that image despite my natural/biological traits....fast-forward into my adulthood....my old little league coach saw me out on the golf course and from a fairway away shouted out "Hey ALAYMAN, I still see after all these years you're hitting from the wrong side of the ball"! 😆

Savannah huh? Thought really hard (and haven't quite ruled it out yet) of going to that area for vacation this year.

Ironically, I am right-hand dominant, but do everything that involves the swinging of something using two hands (golf club, baseball bat, etc) from the left side.
I’m right handed and played a little baseball, a little golf and a lot of tennis growing up, all righty. I didn’t play a lot of golf as a kid, just an occasional round with my dad or a friend, but my dad was a hacker at best. I got more serious in college about the game after taking a one credit college golf elective class. After college, as a young adult, I began taking golf lessons for the first time in my life. I didn’t fully understand the science behind swinging lefty, but I had an instructor who did his best to convince me to scrap my swing and begin swinging lefty due to some bad habits that had been established—between my tendency to incorporate a tennis swing and my hacker dad’s instructions. Anyway, long story short, I ended up deciding to stick with righty because I didn’t want to spend money on all new clubs and new lessons to basically start at scratch.

I’m right handed and played a little baseball, a little golf and a lot of tennis growing up, all righty. I didn’t play a lot of golf as a kid, just an occasional round with my dad or a friend, but my dad was a hacker at best. I got more serious in college about the game after taking a one credit college golf elective class. After college, as a young adult, I began taking golf lessons for the first time in my life. I didn’t fully understand the science behind swinging lefty, but I had an instructor who did his best to convince me to scrap my swing and begin swinging lefty due to some bad habits that had been established—between my tendency to incorporate a tennis swing and my hacker dad’s instructions. Anyway, long story short, I ended up deciding to stick with righty because I didn’t want to spend money on all new clubs and new lessons to basically start at scratch.

Yeah, starting with ingrained bad habits of mechanics and muscle memory can be easily avoidable by getting decent instruction from the beginning. As a baseball junkie in my youth I had to overcome serious mechanical differences when I took up golf at 20 years old, and I still have a "baseball grip" for my golf swing. After about 4-5 years of floundering with a pretty bad slice/fade/shank and averaging about a 20-22 handicap I took 3 lessons from a local guy who dabbled at qualifying for the pro tours. After the 3rd lesson my banana-shot was severely improved and I shot my (then best) 81. Any young wannabe golfer/hacker who might have the misfortune of asking me advice for their game, you know, the wanting the latest driver, putter, or gimmick, I immediately ask "have you thought about taking that money you're spending on clubs and taking a lesson". I'm beginning to get to the stage of the game due to my age that I'm losing distance (maybe a half a club) and it's challenging and humbling, but golf has always been a game to check your ego, as it's been the hardest sport I've ever tried that I haven't been at least a notch better than average. Having said all that, it is still a game that you don't need anybody else to participate with you and yet you can still go out and compete, if nothing else against yourself.

After the 3rd lesson my banana-shot was severely improved and I shot my (then best) 81.
You shot an 81, but you didn’t mention that was on a par 3 course. 😆 J/K. That’s a great score. I’ve never broken into the 80s, but I used to be a pretty consistent low 90s guy on big par 72 courses in Florida surrounded by tons of water. Nowadays, I rarely play a par 72 course and usually opt for the executive courses due to time constraints.

BTW, Savannah is an awesome place to vacation!

You shot an 81, but you didn’t mention that was on a par 3 course. 😆 J/K. That’s a great score. I’ve never broken into the 80s, but I used to be a pretty consistent low 90s guy on big par 72 courses in Florida surrounded by tons of water. Nowadays, I rarely play a par 72 course and usually opt for the executive courses due to time constraints.

BTW, Savannah is an awesome place to vacation!

😁

I am still about a 16 handicap, but every once in awhile even a blind squirrel finds an acorn. I actually shot under par once on one of those rinky-dink 9 hole courses (shot a 34 on a 35), but I don't have a clue how it happened, other than some unusually lucky consistency in ball striking and few chip-ins. I almost always play the same really nice public course (an old Donald Ross design from the 1920s) that is only about 2 miles from my house, but shy away from courses with copious amounts of waters and traps, so my ego isn't too brutally injured. Here's a really cool story about a local legend that plays at that course all the time who recently qualified for the Senior British Open.

And by "time constraints" you really mean "my fishing addiction", right? 😚

If I ever do come to Savannah I will hit you up for some tips before I come.

😁

I am still about a 16 handicap, but every once in awhile even a blind squirrel finds an acorn. I actually shot under par once on one of those rinky-dink 9 hole courses (shot a 34 on a 35), but I don't have a clue how it happened, other than some unusually lucky consistency in ball striking and few chip-ins. I almost always play the same really nice public course (an old Donald Ross design from the 1920s) that is only about 2 miles from my house, but shy away from courses with copious amounts of waters and traps, so my ego isn't too brutally injured. Here's a really cool story about a local legend that plays at that course all the time who recently qualified for the Senior British Open.

And by "time constraints" you really mean "my fishing addiction", right? 😚

If I ever do come to Savannah I will hit you up for some tips before I come.
I’ve played a Donald Ross course in the Ocala area. Nice course design and appreciate the history and challenge of his courses. And yes…I chose to spend my extra income on the water hobby over the land hobby, but I live in an area where I’m surrounded by water, so it was an easy choice. 😎