Opinion piece about pastors withholding truth

The Rogue Tomato

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
http://www.westernjournalism.com/new-research-pastors-deliberately-keeping-flock-dark/

The author echoes what I've said at times here:

“‘There are five factors that the vast majority of pastors turn to [when asked that question about success],’ he explained. ‘Attendance, giving, number of programs, number of staff, and square footage.’”

It is time for Christians to acknowledge that these ministers are not pastors; they are CEOs. They are not Bible teachers; they are performers. They are not shepherds; they are hirelings

However, the problem with this opinion piece is that it fails to deliver on the primary issue it raises.  It says, "Did you get that? Ninety-percent of America’s pastors say they KNOW that the Bible speaks to all of these [political and social] issues, but they are deliberately determined to NOT teach these Biblical principles." 

And then, unless I missed it, the opinion piece fail to cite even one example of a Biblical truth on political and social issues that is not taught.  Mind you, I wouldn't be surprised if this is true.  I'd just like to see some real evidence instead of empty claims. 

I suspect I would disagree with the content of what many of those pastors would say if they didn't hold back. That's because a lot of them are conservative evangelicals with Religious Right convictions, and I'm politically libertarian, socially liberal-ish, and in a mainline/liberal denomination. Across those lines, we're definitely going to have differences of opinion.

But it is, or should be, all about the gospel, and not about numbers based success formulas.

What are the "issues" being avoided?  ???

Izdaari said:
subllibrm said:

I think we just have to guess. The article wasn't specific about that.

The author was plenty specific about those fraidy-cat, lily-livered, coward pastors that won't talk about this stuff. Well, specific about everything except what the heck it is he is talking about.

subllibrm said:
Izdaari said:
subllibrm said:

I think we just have to guess. The article wasn't specific about that.

The author was plenty specific about those fraidy-cat, lily-livered, coward pastors that won't talk about this stuff. Well, specific about everything except what the heck it is he is talking about.

Exactly...they never get to the deeper points of what it is all about anyway. A young seminary student wrote a blistering critique of the "religion" his parents handed down to him, said he was sold a package of lies.. but.. of course, he isnt going to get into it all. they never do.

C'mon Mater, what are they leaving out to protect their buildings and programs?