Opinions?

Walt

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
I saw this post on someone's FB page.

Last night my wife and I were discussing church drama. It's amazing how much drama goes on in our churches, even among the teenagers.

We narrowed it down to this. When we were growing up, our families NEVER brought problems home. Life was lived in a more simple way. Basically, we minded our own business. Now, with parents and teens having social media, they not only bring problems home, they invite the problems of others into their homes as well.

We must put up guard against this. Parents, if your child has emotional and attitude troubles I highly recommend they do not have a social media account of any type.

Social media can be used wisely but most young people do not have the character it takes to use it wisely. They "friend" the wrong people. They private message people when parents are completely unaware. They "like" inappropriate content. All these things happen and THEN, we wonder why our teens don't WANT to read their Bible? We wonder why our teens have problems with authority? We wonder why our teens have issues with God?

It's because they've been given free reign over their little world. "...but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame." Proverbs 29:15

I will state upfront that I don't agree with his advice.

Social media accounts are not causing the problem; they are revealing an existing problem in the teens.

Oh, and that verse from Proverbs is misapplied; by the poster's reasoning, no one should ever be on his own.

While there may be good reasons for not permitting young children to have social media accounts, a teenager, especially one from a Christian home that has "grown up in church" certainly should be mature enough to handle it.  If not, there is something seriously wrong with what has been done.

There is a fine line between "minding one's own business" and "sticking one's head in the sand".

Do I need to know about every scandal in every church?  Of course not.  But scandal in men that are held up to be "great" examples are valid to put out.  The Bible never covers mens sins.  I'm really sick of churches covering the evil that their leaders do on the idea that it is a local church matter.  If I gave money to a missionary that commits adultery, I have a right to know just as much as the local church.

Illustration: A friend of mine was a member of a church that gave over $18,000 of missions money to a man who was supposed to start a Chinese church.  My friend moved away and joined another church.  Shortly afterwards (2-3 months), the man was abruptly dismissed.  When my friend called the church to ask what happened, he was told "you're not a member here anymore; it's none of your business."  He and I discussed it; I thought the church was in the wrong, especially considering that a lot of that $18K was money he had given personally.  (He never did hear the entire story, but he had suspicions - he wouldn't tell me suspicions because he couldn't validate them).

Anyway, I've rambled a bit, but I think banning people from social media isn't the right answer; it seems to me that such a solution is treating symptoms rather than the real problem.

Your thoughts?

Social networking just makes more people aware. Gossip and church/family problems have been around from the beginning.

In fact, I'd say its good in many ways that people others for what they are.

Granted, its good at times to remain anonymous. :)

praise_yeshua said:
Social networking just makes more people aware. Gossip and church/family problems have been around from the beginning.

Is the sentence above missing a word?

I've been through situations in which the truth that should have been told was covered up that I think I may be a bit biased in this area.

I've heard many, many IFB preachers rail against the internet, social media, and anonymous posting.

I don't really have a problem with any of it.  Anonymous accusations can be treated for what they are worth.

Walt said:

No. Yeezy is always right, so English teachers are constantly rewriting grammar to conform.

Walt said:
praise_yeshua said:

I've been through situations in which the truth that should have been told was covered up that I think I may be a bit biased in this area.

I've heard many, many IFB preachers rail against the internet, social media, and anonymous posting.

I don't really have a problem with any of it.  Anonymous accusations can be treated for what they are worth.

Yes. I made a mistake. :)

I do it often. Contrary to what Ransom says.... I have consistently admitted my problems with typing. I have made many mistakes in this life. Just trying to do better. When you try to do better... OTHERS..... call you a know it all.

In fact, I'd say its good in many ways that people see others for what they are.

I have no problem with anonymous accusationa. The truth is the truth. If its true.... why does it matter who's saying it?

Good observations Walt.

I think often some Christians have a problem with the "if it's new it must be wrong" syndrome. Eventually, like screens in the sanctuary, they will get used to it and it won't be a big deal.

Instead of throwing out the medium a parent should teach the children how to use it properly. It's not the mediums fault. What is often at fault is the narcisism that can be associated with the medium. IMO that is where the drama comes from. But that is the teaching/learning opportunity from parent to child. In today's society when so much of the social and fiscal economy online prohibiting usage is just burying your head in the sand. 

And why did the kid's "not want to read their Bible" before social media?  ::)

It is true, some Christians have the "if it's new it must be wrong" mentality, and that is not the case, content and use being the problem

It would be prudent to note that Christians today of all ages have many more distractions than they did in day's gone by. Smart phone, tablet, laptop, pc, tv, video games, movies, etc. The list is pretty long, and while none of them are sin, there is no doubt they are occupying time. They are an outlet for an already depraved mind (all of us btw) to indulge itself.

It wasn't that long ago vinyl records a radio and a tv were all one had. And they didn't beep or alert you that there was something you needed to check out. Now, twitter, kik, text, email, pinterest, facebook just to scratch the surface are sending reminders continually. The simple amount of time it takes to even keep up with the alerts is something new to the last 10 years.

It is hard to say that cumulatively it is not detrimental.

ItinerantPreacher said:
It is true, some Christians have the "if it's new it must be wrong" mentality, and that is not the case, content and use being the problem

It would be prudent to note that Christians today of all ages have many more distractions than they did in day's gone by. Smart phone, tablet, laptop, pc, tv, video games, movies, etc. The list is pretty long, and while none of them are sin, there is no doubt they are occupying time. They are an outlet for an already depraved mind (all of us btw) to indulge itself.

It wasn't that long ago vinyl records a radio and a tv were all one had. And they didn't beep or alert you that there was something you needed to check out. Now, twitter, kik, text, email, pinterest, facebook just to scratch the surface are sending reminders continually. The simple amount of time it takes to even keep up with the alerts is something new to the last 10 years.

If you're on Android, you can turn off notifications for apps, although you have to do it for each app individually (unless there's an app out there to make multiple changes at once).

I use this feature.  I hate getting constant notifications, none of which interest me. 

Yep. Teaching and setting boundaries.

I remember years ago before cell phones were ubiquitous  and I was on the early FFF like an addict. I literally had to get a url blocker with a pass code set by someone else that would not allow me to come to the FFF url during certain hours of the day so I could get work done. Then for years I worked too hard to hardly ever come here. :)

The Rogue Tomato said:
ItinerantPreacher said:

If you're on Android, you can turn off notifications for apps, although you have to do it for each app individually (unless there's an app out there to make multiple changes at once).

I use this feature.  I hate getting constant notifications, none of which interest me.
I do too, being on Android as well, but a teen would lack the self control to do so, and the curiosity for them is pretty strong

Some teens...

praise_yeshua said:
In fact, I'd say its good in many ways that people see others for what they are.

I have no problem with anonymous accusations. The truth is the truth. If its true.... why does it matter who's saying it?

I agree re the truth.

At the same time, false anonymous accusations can destroy a ministry; how does one combat a behind-the-back whispering?

As I wrote earlier, I have experienced far more cover-ups than baseless accusations that actually hurt someone.

ItinerantPreacher said:

Good points.  I find the constant "pay attention to me!" annoying, so I turn most of them off; I change the frequency with which email is checked.  I just don't want the distraction.

I also refuse to put a FB app on my phone because it already bothers me way too much in email.

Much as I admit these points, it seems to me like the original poster is blaming social media rather than the person.

Walt said:
I also refuse to put a FB app on my phone because it already bothers me way too much in email.

It's also one of the biggest (if not THE biggest) battery-draining app available.  It's the first thing to get uninstalled or disabled when I get a phone.

Please let me assure everyone that teenage drama has existed long before social media was ever conceived. It exists because teenagers are well, teenagers and everything amounts to the end of the world as we know it.

Jubal Sackett

Jubal Sackett said:
Please let me assure everyone that teenage drama has existed long before social media was ever conceived. It exists because teenagers are well, teenagers and everything amounts to the end of the world as we know it.

Jubal Sackett

LOL.  Indeed.

It wasn't until I was an adult that I realized gossip was not part of our life growing up.  My mother is 95 and still doesn't say disparaging words about others (even if she can't remember their names  ;D.)  Our own sons have thanked us for raising them in a drama-free zone.  I hope they continue the tradition in their homes. 

Walt said:
praise_yeshua said:

I have no problem with anonymous accusations. The truth is the truth. If its true.... why does it matter who's saying it?

I agree re the truth.

At the same time, false anonymous accusations can destroy a ministry; how does one combat a behind-the-back whispering?

As I wrote earlier, I have experienced far more cover-ups than baseless accusations that actually hurt someone.

You're right. I don't think you can stop the whispers. Just live the truth. It'll show..... even if it doesn't. God knows. :)

ItinerantPreacher said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
ItinerantPreacher said:

I do too, being on Android as well, but a teen would lack the self control to do so, and the curiosity for them is pretty strong

App updates can re-enable notifications in Andriod. Its a endless, vicious cycle. :)

JrChurch said:
It wasn't until I was an adult that I realized gossip was not part of our life growing up.  My mother is 95 and still doesn't say disparaging words about others (even if she can't remember their names  ;D.)  Our own sons have thanked us for raising them in a drama-free zone.  I hope they continue the tradition in their homes.

Where (if anywhere) is the line drawn between "gossip" and warning about error?

My sister's mother-in-law won't say anything negative about people.  While that is very sweet on the hole, it does seem at times that she is avoiding the truth.  My sister talks to her about errors in what Mormons believe, but she just responds that "they are such nice people".

There are also different levels of exposure; a pastor than ran off with his secretary, but is no longer pastoring can be left anonymous (after the event - I think his church members have a right to know the truth); however, a pastor that did such a thing, and just ran to a different state to pastor another church needs to have his sin publicized, and he should be named.

The Bible speaks negatively about people, and we shouldn't be fooled into the "always be positive" way of living.