Other Schools

Baptist City Holdout said:
You mean there are other schools?!?!!?!??!?!?  :eek: :-[

Heh. There are other schools that may not be "christian schools" but seem to have a lot of Christians in them.

I finished the DM/IST from University of Phoenix's online program from 2007-2012. Each summer, I had to attend a residency class or two for a week.

In the introduction of the first residency, the instructor was suggesting how to schedule time to work on one's dissertation. She said that scheduling specific time would give one other time to spend doing other things like time with family, hobbies, Bible study... The moment she said "Bible study," I heard someone say "Come on!," someone else say, "Amen!," and someone else say, "I hear ya!"

When introducing ourselves in the residency class, a 60-year old black woman called herself a "minister of God" and said something like, "I believe that our number one goal in life is to praise and serve our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, with all of our soul, strength, and mind!," to which others replied, "Amen!" The instructor (maybe mockingly replied), "Can I hear a big 'Amen' to that?"

In one of my online philosophy classes, we had to introduce ourselves and state some brief philosophical meaning to life. One student said something like, "I don't know what others think is the meaning to life, but I believe that there is one answer, and that answer is Jesus Christ!" I and most of the students in that class replied with "Amen, I agree!" The teacher replied with something like, "There seems to be a lot of religious beliefs being discussed in this class. This is a philosophy class. We need to keep the religion out of it and focus on the text." I thought that was weird to claim that religion doesn't belong in a philosophy class if religion is people's philosophy and the instructor seemed like the only person disagreeing with the students.

As an exception, there was one student who said something like, "I know that there is a lot of politics against this, but I believe that the Qur'an is the inspired word of God and that it is a book of morals." I replied, "I consider myself a Christian and I believe that the Bible is the inspired Word of God. I haven't read the Qur'an, but, when you say that it is a book of morals, I believe you and I believe that you are a moral person." He replied, "Thank you for your kind words my friend. That means so much to me."

University of Phoenix is not a Christian school, but I was surprised by the number of "Christians" that attended.

Jeep Dragon said:
The teacher replied with something like, "There seems to be a lot of religious beliefs being discussed in this class. This is a philosophy class. We need to keep the religion out of it and focus on the text.

I once took a philosophy class in a state university and the instructor said several times during the course of the class that the three major subjects of philosophy were the existence of God, the freedom of the will, and the immortality of the soul.  It doesn't seem possible to discuss those subjects without bringing religion into it. 

Random post:  It seems Cedarville is making big strides to the right (more conservative) while Northland is taking subtle steps the other way (as far as relaxed dress codes, etc.)  Very interesting to observe.

Least of These said:
Random post:  It seems Cedarville is making big strides to the right (more conservative) while Northland is taking subtle steps the other way (as far as relaxed dress codes, etc.)  Very interesting to observe.

Oh no! Relaxed dress codes!!!!  :eek:

What's with the pointless point posts?

(now THERE's a tongue twister)

Walt said:

Made you look!

Twisted said:
Walt said:

Made you look!

I always scan the new unread posts, so I would have "looked" even if you had posted something of substance.

All you have done is lowered yourself in my esteem.

(for Walt)

I am a graduate of "Other Schools!"
Me, too, though I don't know that the University of Waterloo counts as a "cult."

Maybe the Roman Catholic-affiliated college where I got my philosophy credits.

And the Objectivist club.

But that's it.