Ottawa - World’s Worst McDonald’s

I regularly hang out with a friend who lives in the area, and my bus stop is across the street from 99 Rideau St. and this McDonald's. It's approximately 2 blocks from Parliament Hill and right on the edge of the Byward Market, which is bar central. At 2am this was one of the places people went after the bars closed. So yeah, it could get rowdy. Even now that the place closes at 10 pm, it's still in an area with higher than usual crime, lots of homeless, and drug dealers.

I don't think anyone's going to miss the place. Except the baby raccoons, maybe.

I regularly hang out with a friend who lives in the area, and my bus stop is across the street from 99 Rideau St. and this McDonald's. It's approximately 2 blocks from Parliament Hill and right on the edge of the Byward Market, which is bar central. At 2am this was one of the places people went after the bars closed. So yeah, it could get rowdy. Even now that the place closes at 10 pm, it's still in an area with higher than usual crime, lots of homeless, and drug dealers.

I don't think anyone's going to miss the place. Except the baby raccoons, maybe.
I would’ve been 99.99% sure it would have been in Atlanta, New Orleans, Detroit, Chicago, etc. Color me crazy, but I always assumed Canada was above such behavior.

I would’ve been 99.99% sure it would have been in Atlanta, New Orleans, Detroit, Chicago, etc. Color me crazy, but I always assumed Canada was above such behavior.
Other than the McDonald's, there are a few rowdy crowds that gather outside one or two poutine or shawarma take-outs after the bars close, but they're harmless. I was approached once by a guy who hoped I could sell him crack, but when I told him to get lost, he left me alone. Social problems and random drunk fights breaking out notwithstanding, you're still basically safe walking the streets after dark in that part of town.

I don't know when precisely it's closing, precisely. They're supposed to close up sometime in April. Last night it was closed for business at midnight, but the lights were still on.

Being across the street from the largest mall in the city, about half a block from a major light rail stop, and about two blocks from Parliament Hill makes 99 Rideau prime real estate. Wonder what will replace it? Probably a weed dispensary. We only have about 50 of those in the neighbourhood.

Wonder what will replace it? Probably a weed dispensary. We only have about 50 of those in the neighbourhood.
Do they have to be “medical” in Canada or can they be also be recreational? Where I live, it’s medical…and I never knew I had so many people living near me with back pain. 🫤

How can earthlings even afford to eat at those places?

How do you expect them to pay an acne faced high school student with magenta hair $15+/hr.?

The only good thing at McDonald's is their coffee. Black. A large is still less than $2 which is about a third the price of those over-sugared milk or soy beverages with a shot of espresso that people will wait in line for 20+ minutes to buy and call, "coffee".

Do they have to be “medical” in Canada or can they be also be recreational? Where I live, it’s medical…and I never knew I had so many people living near me with back pain. 🫤
Legal for recreational use by adults since 2018, and sold through government-approved retail outlets, or by the government itself, online.

Or, if you're cheap, you can just take a walk along Rideau St. on a Friday night between, say, Sussex Drive and King Edward Ave., and get a free high from the fumes. You'll have to cure your munchies somewhere other than McDonalds, though.

I wonder where the drunk crowd will go now that McDonald’s is closed. There’s got to be a replacement.

I wonder where the drunk crowd will go now that McDonald’s is closed. There’s got to be a replacement.
There's plenty of fast food in the neighbourhood. I think only a couple of shawarma or poutine shops are open past midnight, though.