Our church's 125th anniversary...

Fresh Air

Elect
Reaction score
...is tomorrow. We've worked on this for months. It will be the biggest service I've ever had in 19 years of pastoring. Joining us for the day will be the Sons of the Prophets tour group from Hyles-Anderson College. I still can't believe they didn't pick me for tour back in the day, but God has graciously enabled me to look past my bitterness. I will try not to bring it up with them tomorrow.  :D

If they don't give you some music CD's as swag, then walk away and knock the dust off your sandals.

God bless your services tomorrow. Thank you for your faithfulness!!

I heard some are flying in from NC for this event.

Rejoicing with you!

Baptist City Holdout said:
Were any charter members in attendance?

No?  Deadbeats.

Who is that third from the left in that pic?

14433008_926099824200409_3054039495574493472_n.jpg

BALAAM said:
These girls are 'sons of Prophets?'

If so, HAC has really changed their entrance requirements.

Teri in NC said:
How was the day?

Had a phenomenal day yesterday. Crowd about double normal size so just about perfectly filled the tent. About 25 visitors from out of town (ex-members, previous pastor's family) and about 25 from in town (ex-members, those reached by our door hanger campaign). Beautiful weather.  Good music (for some reason a girls tour group showed up instead of the boys one), good preaching (the previous pastor's son preached), interesting church history, beautiful anniversary cake, very happy people. People lingered long after both services. Over and over again I heard how from people how encouraging it was to them to see their old church doing well, and from our people how happy they were to see old friends and to show them how well we're doing.

The evening service I thought would be down from normal, but I think it probably set a record all by itself for evening services. Auditorium was packed and jammed. No visitors. All our own people. I preached on "Ten Reasons Why We've Lasted 125 Years." I ended the service by having the deacons individually pray from the pulpit.

My people worked so hard. We spent way too much money. But it resulted in one of the those red-letter days that people will talk about for years. More importantly, I think it will greatly encourage our people in the kind of long faithfulness I am trying to inculcate here.

Just the sweetest day...

Tom Brennan said:
Teri in NC said:
How was the day?

Had a phenomenal day yesterday. Crowd about double normal size so just about perfectly filled the tent. About 25 visitors from out of town (ex-members, previous pastor's family) and about 25 from in town (ex-members, those reached by our door hanger campaign). Beautiful weather.  Good music (for some reason a girls tour group showed up instead of the boys one), good preaching (the previous pastor's son preached), interesting church history, beautiful anniversary cake, very happy people. People lingered long after both services. Over and over again I heard how from people how encouraging it was to them to see their old church doing well, and from our people how happy they were to see old friends and to show them how well we're doing.

The evening service I thought would be down from normal, but I think it probably set a record all by itself for evening services. Auditorium was packed and jammed. No visitors. All our own people. I preached on "Ten Reasons Why We've Lasted 125 Years." I ended the service by having the deacons individually pray from the pulpit.

My people worked so hard. We spent way too much money. But it resulted in one of the those red-letter days that people will talk about for years. More importantly, I think it will greatly encourage our people in the kind of long faithfulness I am trying to inculcate here.

Just the sweetest day...

Wonderful!
John preached?

I love, love, love the former pastor's family.  Just good people.

I'm so glad things went well, it's great when former members enjoy coming back to visit. That's not always the case in some Baptist churches.

Can you share a little about the churches 125 year history there in Chicago. I would love to hear how the church has evolved. We will continue to pray for your great church and it's members.