Pastor... do you get a book allowance?

FSSL

Staff member
Administrator
Doctor
Reaction score
Perhaps one of the greatest things our church did for us was to give the pastoral staff an annual book allowance.

Each pastor was given $800 a year.

Do you  get an allowance?

I asked a former pastor what book he was currently reading:

"I don't read anything but the Bible."

scared-smiley-face.gif

rsc2a said:
I asked a former pastor what book he was currently reading: "I don't read anything but the Bible."

It is difficult to believe pietists. I doubt they even read that!

FSSL said:
rsc2a said:
I asked a former pastor what book he was currently reading: "I don't read anything but the Bible."

It is difficult to believe pietists. I doubt they even read that!

It didn't seem pious to me. It seemed ignorant...especially for a teacher!

Not to change the subject unnecessarily - well, OK, maybe a little - but is a "book allowance" in contrast to a "decent salary that allows the pastor to buy whatever books he wants"?

Ransom said:
Not to change the subject unnecessarily - well, OK, maybe a little - but is a "book allowance" in contrast to a "decent salary that allows the pastor to buy whatever books he wants"?

It is a separate line item in church budgets. It is not a part of the pastors' taxable income. The church pays for the books directly.

I ALWAYS exceeded the $800 and bought more books from my own taxable income (which was still deductible) ;)

FSSL said:
It is a separate line item in church budgets. It is not a part of the pastors' taxable income. The church pays for the books directly.

Ah, OK. Until I encountered American fundamentalism, the only allowance I was familiar with was a vehicle allowance that compensated pastors for their use of their personal vehicles while on the job. A lot of other "allowances" really just seemed to be excuses to pay the pastor less.

Are books purchased on this allowance then your property, or the church's?

Ransom said:

Good question! I think that it remains the pastor's property. At least I have mine :D

FSSL said:
Ransom said:

Good question! I think that it remains the pastor's property. At least I have mine :D

Same with ours. If we got rid of it and put the $$$ in his salary there'd be tax implications. So he keeps the books except the ones I "borrow". When it comes to borrowing books I'm like a preacher, that is, I borrow like the Israelites "borrowed" from the Egyptians.

{Ex 12:35}

:)

Bob H said:
So he keeps the books except the ones I "borrow". When it comes to borrowing books I'm like a preacher, that is, I borrow like the Israelites "borrowed" from the Egyptians. {Ex 12:35} :)

Ha! Another deduction for your pastor! Loss!

FSSL said:
Bob H said:
So he keeps the books except the ones I "borrow". When it comes to borrowing books I'm like a preacher, that is, I borrow like the Israelites "borrowed" from the Egyptians. {Ex 12:35} :)

Ha! Another deduction for your pastor! Loss!

He's got some of mine so he ain't lost to much.. You borrow one of mine I'm gonna borrow one of yours.

admin said:
This is where digital books come in very handy. You need a section, I can send a pdf.

Naw. I'd rather you send me the book.

Ransom said:
FSSL said:

Ah, OK. Until I encountered American fundamentalism, the only allowance I was familiar with was a vehicle allowance that compensated pastors for their use of their personal vehicles while on the job. A lot of other "allowances" really just seemed to be excuses to pay the pastor less.

For tax reasons many churches pay many or all of a pastors utilities and expenses including housing, gas, cell phone, even wardrobe. The pastor takes less of a salary but has most of his needs cared for tax free. I believe this is common at least with baptist churches.

I think a reasonable budget for books makes sense. It encourages the staff to continue to study & learn.

FSSL said:
Ransom said:

If the pastor leaves the Church, he must either:

1.  leave the books with the Church

or

2.  pay taxes on it as taxable income.

This is according to the guy who led our minister's compensation workshop for my state convention which I attended about a month ago.