Pastor Max Lucado Baffled Over Evangelical Trump Supporters

Tim

Elect
Reaction score
http://www.npr.org/2016/03/06/469371887/pastor-max-lucado-still-baffled-over-evangelical-trump-supporters

I heard Max on NPR radio over the weekend. I am glad someone is speaking up against Trump. The link above is a good read IMHO.

Since Max isn't here to defend himself... I would love for you to take up his arguments.

I have some real problems with what he said.

praise_yeshua said:
Since Max isn't here to defend himself... I would love for you to take up his arguments.

With what issues are you in disagreement with?

I would not have said anything about Mr. Trump, never ? I would never have said anything if he didn't call himself a Christian.

Max Lucado should know better.  Obama calls himself a Christian, too.  If we're going to whine about the behavior of every politician who calls him/herself a Christian, we're won't have time for anything else.

The Rogue Tomato said:
I would not have said anything about Mr. Trump, never ? I would never have said anything if he didn't call himself a Christian.

Max Lucado should know better.  Obama calls himself a Christian, too.  If we're going to whine about the behavior of every politician who calls him/herself a Christian, we're won't have time for anything else.

Yep. Lucado lied about his reasons for focusing on Trump while having never weighed into a political race before.

Lucado knows he's lying. That is my number one problem with what he did.

Recovering IFB said:
praise_yeshua said:

With what issues are you in disagreement with?

Many of things he said are factually wrong. Also, he should have, given his standing in the community, contacted Trump directly and asked him about his comments.

We all have an opinion. Its one thing to comment on a public figure, its another thing for a public figure to comment on someone else without giving them the benefit of addressing the questions directly.

Oh, and Hillary claims to be a Christian, too.  So... no essays about a so-called Christian who lies every time she opens her mouth?

Tim said:
Yes, but did Obama receive such a large amount of evangelical votes?
Aye, there's the rub.....Obama and Hillary have never purposely pandered to the evangelical community.  Trump has....thus Max's problem with Trump.  It's not the fact that he stated he's a Christian, it's that he's trying to "join the club" and doesn't fit the white evangelical mold.

Tim said:
The Rogue Tomato said:

Yes. Yes he did. He received a very large number of the black evangelical vote. They have voted Democrat for decades...

FreeToBeMe said:
Tim said:
Aye, there's the rub.....Obama and Hillary have never purposely pandered to the evangelical community.  Trump has....thus Max's problem with Trump.  It's not the fact that he stated he's a Christian, it's that he's trying to "join the club" and doesn't fit the evangelical mold.

Obama pandered to black evangelicals

http://www.christianpost.com/news/white-evangelical-asks-black-evangelicals-why-they-re-elected-obama-84897/

So has Billary...

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/02/10/hillary-clinton-asks-black-pastors-for-salvation.html

Tim said:
http://www.npr.org/2016/03/06/469371887/pastor-max-lucado-still-baffled-over-evangelical-trump-supporters

I heard Max on NPR radio over the weekend. I am glad someone is speaking up against Trump. The link above is a good read IMHO.

The want a Republican presidential candidate who has the best chance of keeping Hilary from the presidency.  They care less about  the controversial things he says, they only care about winning and the others don't have the image or star power that even modern evangelicals seem to be attracted to. 

FreeToBeMe said:
Tim said:
Aye, there's the rub.....Obama and Hillary have never purposely pandered to the evangelical community.  Trump has....thus Max's problem with Trump.  It's not the fact that he stated he's a Christian, it's that he's trying to "join the club" and doesn't fit the white evangelical mold.

This.

I see it through this prism; Lucado is speaking to those that would make up his natural readership...white, evangelical conservatives. Lucado says he is concerned believers validate Trump as a Christian, because Trump say's he is ("nobody reads the Bible as much as he does" don't you know) yet has broadly claimed he has never asked for forgiveness. I guess saying "his own personal Viet Nam was not getting venerial disease" during his college years was not a reason to ask for forgiveness, among other things.

Just John said:
FreeToBeMe said:
Tim said:

This.

I see it through this prism; Lucado is speaking to those that would make up his natural readership...white, evangelical conservatives. Lucado says he is concerned believers validate Trump as a Christian, because Trump say's he is ("nobody reads the Bible as much as he does" don't you know) yet has broadly claimed he has never asked for forgiveness. I guess saying "his own personal Viet Nam was not getting venerial disease" during his college years was not a reason to ask for forgiveness, among other things.

Ah.... there's that bright smiling face...

First. What FreeToBeMe said was a lie. They have all pandered. All politcians pander. Trump.... panders.

Lucado LIED when he decided to focus upon one candidate.... IGNORING... all the others.

Yes. Trump isn't a saint. Neither is ANY of the candidates.

CRUZ uses his daddy and his "Christian collation" to sell himself to those who think he can change things for Christians. He openly claims he will deliver them. He has become their messiah. A man that will take all the money aways from bad people like Trump....Romney.... and others.... and give it to them.

That is a FULL BLOWN NUT.

I'd take Trump over a NUT like that.. any day.

Maybe Lucado should focus on where the real problems are...... on HYPOCRITES that believe they are better than anyone else and can't realize they're no better than anyone. Sometimes... WORSE.

I don't look for a "Christian President". If I did.... there wouldn't be one to vote for.

praise_yeshua said:
Lucado LIED when he decided to focus upon one candidate.... IGNORING... all the others.

So that's how you define a lie? No wonder you seem to throw the word around with so little care as to its actual meaning.

Ransom said:
praise_yeshua said:

So that's how you define a lie? No wonder you seem to throw the word around with so little care as to its actual meaning.

Lucado lied and said the only reason he spoke up was because Trump called himself a Christian.

Billary has done the same. Obama has done the same. Cruz has done the same....

Read a little would you? Lucado ignored all the other candidates that used the label "Christian" to pander...

praise_yeshua said:
Read a little would you? Lucado ignored all the other candidates that used the label "Christian" to pander...

You have merely repeated yourself: according to your definition, he ignored something you wish he had said, therefore he "lied."

My point stands, as does your dishonest attempt to redefine terms.

praise_yeshua said:
Ransom said:
praise_yeshua said:

Lucado lied and said the only reason he spoke up was because Trump called himself a Christian.

Trump, above all others going after the white, conservative evangelical voter is a phony when it comes to his Christianity as evidenced by his own words. His actions on a consistent basis certainly do not lend credence to his claim. IMO Lucado isn't speaking to those who would vote for Hillary or Sanders. Those people don't listen to him or read his books.

Just John said:
Trump, above all others going after the white, conservative evangelical voter is a phony when it comes to his Christianity as evidenced by his own words. His actions on a consistent basis certainly do not lend credence to his claim. IMO Lucado isn't speaking to those who would vote for Hillary or Sanders. Those people don't listen to him or read his books.

You'll have to excuse Yeezy. As a card-carrying Trump Chump, he believes the "But Mommy, they're doing it too!" defense actually vindicates his lord and saviour.

Ransom said:
praise_yeshua said:

You have merely repeated yourself: according to your definition, he ignored something you wish he had said, therefore he "lied."

My point stands, as does your dishonest attempt to redefine terms.

How difficult is this for you to understand. He LIED when he said it was the reason he spoke up. It wasn't the reason he SPOKE up. He's too smart to forget that everyone else I mentioned said they were Christians.

Just John said:
praise_yeshua said:
Ransom said:
praise_yeshua said:

So Lucado was speaking to voters? He was bashing Trump across the board.