Pastor reportedly buys his way onto New York Times bestseller list

qwerty

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
http://m.csmonitor.com/Books/chapter-and-verse/2014/0307/Pastor-reportedly-buys-his-way-onto-New-York-Times-bestseller-list

Not surprised anymore by this. Seems like recognition had become more important than ministry.

Eh. Unless he used church funds I got no problem with this. (though the article indicates he likely DID use church funds)
I certainly don't see why people would think this is immoral or unethical in any way (using your own money that is, to "buy" your way to a bestseller list). If someone is dumb enough to buy a book just because it's a "bestseller" then they deserve the book they get.

Darkwing Duck said:
I certainly don't see why people would think this is immoral or unethical in any way (using your own money that is, to "buy" your way to a bestseller list).

It's a deceptive and dishonest tactic that misrepresents the value or popularity of the book.  If it were the stock market that were being manipulated in this way, instead of the bestseller list, it would in fact be illegal.

Ransom said:
Darkwing Duck said:
I certainly don't see why people would think this is immoral or unethical in any way (using your own money that is, to "buy" your way to a bestseller list).

It's a deceptive and dishonest tactic that misrepresents the value or popularity of the book.  If it were the stock market that were being manipulated in this way, instead of the bestseller list, it would in fact be illegal.

Come on, the stock market??
I'd say it compares better to someone paying a reviewer to include their movie on a "top 10 of 2013" list or something.  Or paying the admin of this website money to increase your rep. Paying money to artificially get on a list of something that is completely unimportant is just not that big of a deal.

If true, regardless of the legal issue...I would think people would be concerned about the integrity issue, or have we passed the time when integrity matters from the pulpit?

Darkwing Duck said:
I'd say it compares better to someone paying a reviewer to include their movie on a "top 10 of 2013" list or something.

In that case, it's the literary equivalent of the payola scandals in radio in the 1950s and later, in which DJs were paid to play certain songs more frequently to artificially boost their appearance of popularity. That, also, is illegal. It seems the law doesn't like chart manipulation any more than it likes stock manipulation.

In addition to it obviously violating the spirit of the law, if not actually the letter, there's also the integrity of Mark Driscoll and Mars Hill Church to consider. Why do they need to manipulate the bestseller lists? Can they not market his books on their own merits, instead of an illusion?

Happens all the time. Individual ministries often make bulk purchase of products that affect overall sales #s. The problem lies in the fact they purposely did such to drive up the #s. Sad. Its truly sad.

I imagine they will fall back on "giving the books away to those who can not afford them" as a defense.

Seems like the same lack of integrity where preachers have "Dr." before their names when they have not earned it from an accredited institution.  Looks impressive on the door, the resume, and in the phone book; but is actually meaningless except it is another prideful act on zero integrity!

Sounds like he has had a come to Jesus moment.  Good for him and his church.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/formerlyfundie/mark-driscoll-apologizes-and-says-hes-changing-his-life-and-i-support-him/

Tom Brennan said:
qwerty said:

I'm usually in the camp of those who wouldn't spit on Mark Driscoll if he were on fire, but that was an astoundingly well written letter. If he wrote it, and means it, God will draw him to Himself. He does with all who seek Him in truth.

Amen, Tom!