Pastoral Counseling

Mathew Ward

Elect
Reaction score
Most IFB pastors are not qualified to provide the counseling that folks need to receive. Just because you have read a few Jay Adams books and took a course in Bible College does not make you qualified to provide professional Christian counseling.

A pastor would be wise to use a counseling group or organization that would provide the help needed for folks in the congregation he is watching out for.

If it is a sin issue or doctrinal issue, by all means meet with with those involved.

However for issues like sexual abuse, depression and many others go see a professional licsened counselor to get the help you need.

If a pastor has pride or control issues and is providing counseling that he is not qualified to do, it will end up in disaster imho.

I am going to agree here...a pastor must know his limits and what he is able to deal with.  There are so many Christian counselors who are trained to deal with those issues.  I wonder how many pastors are trained to deal with eating disorders...other than just telling them to have faith and it will be alright.  Many of these pastors are unqualified to preach the Word much less, counsel people.

Might I add that if a pastor is to meet with someone of the opposite sex or a juvenile...they need to have someone else in the office complex...should leave the door open (and talk so as not to have what is shared heard by anyone else)...and set a time for the counseling...ie. 30 minutes.

Not only what he can deal with but also how much he can deal with (agreeing with knowing himself).

It's been my experience that professional, licensed counselors are often not qualified to offer counsel...

Who asked about your opinion, counselor. Just kidding, I could not pass this up. Have a good day Brother!

BTW did you run that by RLS?