Pastoral Pride

RAIDER

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
On another thread we were discussing the failure of FBCH staff members when it came to approaching Schaap about he heresy.  It was mentioned how you become a "marked man" if you question a pastor.
How did we get to this point?  Is pride an easy sin for a preacher to fall prey to?  Is it because so many churches have been split by church members with agendas?  Do preachers think that anyone who brings up something negative to them is against them?
What are your thoughts?

Along the way, pastors and lay folk alike have forgotten the teaching of Jesus:

But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all brothers. And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven. Neither be called instructors, for you have one instructor, the Christ. The greatest among you shall be your servant. Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

I think another thing that adds to it is the twisting of Scripture.  The average IFB preacher takes OT passages referring to kings and prophets and applies them to a preacher (i.e. I will not lift my hand against the Lord's anointed).  They feel that anyone who would dare question them falls in this category.

RAIDER said:
I think another thing that adds to it is the twisting of Scripture.  The average IFB preacher takes OT passages referring to kings and prophets and applies them to a preacher (i.e. I will not lift my hand against the Lord's anointed).  They feel that anyone who would dare question them falls in this category.

Only ignorant listeners.

I confronted my former pastor a few times about things that were going on in the church and it just went in one ear and out the other.

This pastor led me to the Lord and knew my parents before I was born, I have s lot of history with this man.

I feel like I confronted him in the right spirit there were no cross words, not one but the few things I brought up, he just made excuses and it was evident to me that I was waisting my time.

And yes, I was marked as "negative" thereafter and even after our first meeting he kindly called my name out saying I went to him and I how he was proud of me that I went to him and didn't "gossip".

I really didn't care that he called my name out because I knew I was right. We were there 8 years till we left about 4-6 months ago.

I thinks it's very very sad and I hate it!

RAIDER said:
On another thread we were discussing the failure of FBCH staff members when it came to approaching Schaap about he heresy.  It was mentioned how you become a "marked man" if you question a pastor.
How did we get to this point?  Is pride an easy sin for a preacher to fall prey to?  Is it because so many churches have been split by church members with agendas?  Do preachers think that anyone who brings up something negative to them is against them?
What are your thoughts?
Power......and the fear of losing it, drives agendas unless lifting up Jesus is the true reason for being in ministry.

The same holds true of some on deacon or elder boards, way too often.

fishinnut said:
RAIDER said:
What are your thoughts?
Power......and the fear of losing it, drives agendas unless lifting up Jesus is the true reason for being in ministry.

The same holds true of some on deacon or elder boards, way too often.

I agree with you here!

I would also like to add that I think that the pastor does the church a great disservice when he hires only "Yes Men" on the staff and refuses to have anything but "Rubber Stamp Everything Deacons."

The church member that seems to oppose everything simply because it's new and different from the norm is an idiot, too.

It is not one side without the other that is the recipe for success. It takes wisdom and understanding from both sides.

This may take some time and extra effort in teaching and then living out the same godly example that you desire for other to have. The Pastor may use the pulpit and other meetings to approach and confront the church members. If this is done regularly in this manner then you really shouldn't be offended, or resentful if you are a person that is often approached and confronted!

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. IMO.