Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Pension / 401K / IRA match

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

sword

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
While talking to pastor friends there seem to be a wide range of benefits and compensation provided for pastors.

They range from a lay pastor who works full time and get very little compensition from his church (his income and benefits come from his secular job) to full salary, housing, utilities, car and a wide range of other perks plus retirement benefits at 25 years.

Living wage and a gas allowance for using personal vehicles on church business, and a book allowance, for certain. Don't know about healthcare or retirement benefits for certain, but we're a big church, and those amenities are at least partly provided by the government anyway. I'm pretty sure there was an offhand mention of changing insurance providers at a members' meeting in the last few years, which would imply supplemental health benefits.

While talking to pastor friends there seem to be a wide range of benefits and compensation provided for pastors.

They range from a lay pastor who works full time and get very little compensition from his church (his income and benefits come from his secular job) to full salary, housing, utilities, car and a wide range of other perks plus retirement benefits at 25 years.
You forgot to mention their private jet.

No not really. I always fly first class keeps me away from the undesirables while flying.

Many of the churches we've been members of had a parsonage where the pastor lived. They also gave him some of his auto expenses, ie, gas, insurance, and car payment. Health insurance for sure...can't have a sick pastor, There were other things like an expense account for books, travel, etc. Some of the churches paid as much as they could, even helping the pastor find work outside of the church to assist in his living a fairly decent life.
In one church we paid everything...housing, utilities, insurance...both auto and health, and even life. The pastor got a new car every two years within reason. He had two weeks paid vacation every year....and they also allowed him to work outside of the church in roofing. That church only ran 75-80 people.

Our church is small; I'm not on the board of directors so I cannot say with absolute certainly what our pastor earns. He's over 65 and on Medicare. I'm to understand he gets a housing allowance and some kind of stipend. Beyond that, not a clue.

He recently shared with the congregation some of the things our church paid for over the past year... Including approximately $9000 for new (much needed) seating and $5000 for the fire victims in Maui. We also have $100,000 put aside for relocation to another building should the need arise. We are currently leasing the facility we are in.

I am one of the ones who count the offering each week. I do not pay attention to the checks other than to count how many are in the offering box. We have a bookkeeper on our board of directors and he handles that part. Two of us count the cash and sign off on the amount. From everything I have seen, we are financially solvent.

And that keeps coach refreshingly free of rich braggarts. Win-win.
I'm not a braggart. I only brag on the God who provides the prosperity.
I own nothing. I manage what God has blessed me with and when I please
him he gives me more to manage.

I'm not a braggart. I only brag on the God who provides the prosperity.
I own nothing. I manage what God has blessed me with and when I please
him he gives me more to manage.

This you?

No not really. I always fly first class keeps me away from the undesirables while flying.

I can see how God is front and centre in all your posts.

Boy the jealousy and the hypocritical criticism has no limit on this forum.

Our church is small; I'm not on the board of directors so I cannot say with absolute certainly what our pastor earns. He's over 65 and on Medicare. I'm to understand he gets a housing allowance and some kind of stipend. Beyond that, not a clue.

He recently shared with the congregation some of the things our church paid for over the past year... Including approximately $9000 for new (much needed) seating and $5000 for the fire victims in Maui. We also have $100,000 put aside for relocation to another building should the need arise. We are currently leasing the facility we are in.

I am one of the ones who count the offering each week. I do not pay attention to the checks other than to count how many are in the offering box. We have a bookkeeper on our board of directors and he handles that part. Two of us count the cash and sign off on the amount. From everything I have seen, we are financially solvent.
Your church will be solvent until the next pastoral sex scandal. If you don't believe me ask someone at the Southern Baptist Convention.

coverbd:​

You seem to be a bitter and angry man. cynical of the institution Jesus chose to die for (Ephesians 5:25) . I can see where you might not get along with other church members.

Perhaps God has blessed you financially so you can care for your wife's health issues.

Other he blesses with a large healthy family but perhaps less income

Yet others he blesses with influence and a wide reaching ministry.

God has blessed me hrough my job, which has allowed me to support mission works around the world

Be careful thinking God only blesses through financial means.

Last edited:
You seem to be a bitter and angry man. cynical of the institution Jesus chose to die for (Ephesians 5:25) . I can see where you might not get along with other church members.

Perhaps God has blessed you financially so you can care for your wife's health issues.

Other he blesses with a large healthy family but perhaps less income

Yet others he blesses with influence and a wide reaching ministry.

God has blessed me hrough my job, which has allowed me to support mission works around the world

Be careful thinking God only blesses through financial means.
To the contrary I'm not a bitter and angry man. After serving a 1 year prison sentence at Tennessee Temple prison with Ayatollah Roberson and his minions I was 19 years old and went to Houston Texas with $200 in my pocket. I bought my first home when I was 20 years old. I also bought a new 1976 Chrysler Cordoba. It was $7600. That was a sweet ride. The rest is history. I agree with you Adonai has several options and avenues to bless people besides finances. After all Adonai is sovereign.

Why are you jealous? You and others are a slave to the monetary system.
Everyday you get up and work for Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express plus car payments and house payments.
A debtor is always a slave to the lender. Mishlei (Proverbs) 22:7
"The rich rule over the poor,
and the borrower is slave to the lender"
I live debt free. I owe no man anything. You have no idea how that feels. I always kid my wife when we are out shopping that spending money is hard work. Lol
Roughly 1/2 the people in America don't have a $1000 in the bank for an emergency. Credit card debt is at record high levels
Yes I am free. People should try being a lender rather than a borrower. Their lives would be so much easier.

Boy the jealousy and the hypocritical criticism has no limit on this forum.
Oh my goodness...we have a bloviating Jackass back on the forum. Welcome back Vinnie!

Why are you jealous? You and others are a slave to the monetary system.
Everyday you get up and work for Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express plus car payments and house payments.
A debtor is always a slave to the lender. Mishlei (Proverbs) 22:7
"The rich rule over the poor,
and the borrower is slave to the lender"
I live debt free. I owe no man anything. You have no idea how that feels. I always kid my wife when we are out shopping that spending money is hard work. Lol
Roughly 1/2 the people in America don't have a $1000 in the bank for an emergency. Credit card debt is at record high levels
Yes I am free. People should try being a lender rather than a borrower. Their lives would be so much easier.
The only thing that you seem to be lending us is your braying!. Hee haw!