Paul Chappell: Why I recommend 1 Year of Bible College

BALAAM said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Walt said:
Just John said:
I know, I know...call me cynical but I think it just might be that "one year" is a good start at getting 'em for four years! So jaded am I.

Perhaps jaded = experienced... there HAVE been schools that harp on not quitting and going for a real degree, and on and on.  ("Tales from the Temple" comes to mind). Someone who only comes for one year should not be pressured into going for 2 years, or  more.

Now on a positive note. I looked around at the sermon section on Chappels church and listened to one on "False Teachers". It wasn't one that one would expect from many in "the movement". Only name he mentioned was Benny Hinn which we could all agree on. He didn't allude negatively to "neo's" or "seeker-friendly" or "megachurches", etc. He preached just from the text. I was pleasantly surprised. I know he has advocated not preaching on preferences, not being angry, having grace. I know in earlier days he did not always exhibit these things but I haven't always been as right as I am now either. :)  Is he considered a "compromiser" yet?

Apparently, he used to send his staff to the "seeker-friendly" conferences.

I think he is compromising, hoping to have a huge following / influence.

Compromising what?
In methodology?

This is one area that I, no IFB basher, simply do not understand their mindset.
What is wrong with listening to someone who doesn't share your philosophy of ministry? I've heard IFB big wig Pastors mock those who would read John MacArthur commentaries.

IMO Chappell is the best of the entire IFB bunch, but I would not send my daughter to his school. But I wouldn't hesitate to read his material or listen to his sermons.

Let me try to enlighten you. In ifb speak 'change' (ostensibly of any kind) is one of the cardinal sins right up there with drunkenness and adultery. One of the things instilled in your mind that to 'change' is to compromise and therefore always bad. I heard JH say many times just decide what you believe right now and don't ever change. Now, that means that a 19 year old college student is to decide at 19 that he knows and understands everything about the Bible and what it teaches and to 'change' anything is akin to blasphemy. In order to accomplish this you are absolutely never supposed to read any books not written by ifb (ifbx) authors and never go to a conference or fellowship with any non-ifb types. (good luck if you ever feel like reading books)

...and you better not do any independent Bible study devoid of an IFBx mentor to carefully guide you in all IFBx truth.

Oh, and don't pay any attention to God's Holy Spirit who is to be our guide...just ignore the clear teaching of scripture.

...and check with other IFBx brethren to see if they approve.

Just remember Independent does not really mean independent thinking but rather group think of the not a denomination denomination.

bgwilkinson said:
...Independent does not really mean independent thinking but rather group think of the not a denomination denomination.

The NADD!  The term is catching on!

just clipping another coupon. ;D

I planned to attend one year  of Bible college to appease my parents.  I graduated and have been in ministry every since (with one hiatus).  After finishing high school, I was open to serving God with my life, I just thought a different avenue may be more beneficial to God than ministry.  Looking back, I'm glad I chose ministry.  There are others like me who go for 1 year and decide to stay, graduate and pursue the ministry.  These are normally people who are already open to the concept of a life in ministry before they go. 

There are many others who have been sent for one year in hopes that God would "get a hold of the kid" while at Bible college.  These are typically drop-outs who cause more problems at the school than they do anything else.  Let them stay home and pursue some other career.  If parents and pastors and church laity couldn't help them, neither will they listen to the Bible college teacher.

Building a solid foundation and developing spiritual discipline?  No.  This is what should be happening in the home.  It is the God-ordained responsibility of the parent to build and develop spiritual discipline.  To use Bible words - Bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

Deeper study and understanding?  Yes.  Dedicating 54 class hours to studying "The Life of Christ" or "Genesis" will much more deeply open up an understanding of Scripture.  However, this could be done through the internet as well, if one is so inclined.

Develop life long relationships?  I guess we are all different.  The only person I have talked to in the past 2 decades that I personally knew in Bible college are my family.  I did meet my wife there, so she falls in the category of family.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Walt said:
Just John said:
I know, I know...call me cynical but I think it just might be that "one year" is a good start at getting 'em for four years! So jaded am I.

Perhaps jaded = experienced... there HAVE been schools that harp on not quitting and going for a real degree, and on and on.  ("Tales from the Temple" comes to mind). Someone who only comes for one year should not be pressured into going for 2 years, or  more.

Now on a positive note. I looked around at the sermon section on Chappels church and listened to one on "False Teachers". It wasn't one that one would expect from many in "the movement". Only name he mentioned was Benny Hinn which we could all agree on. He didn't allude negatively to "neo's" or "seeker-friendly" or "megachurches", etc. He preached just from the text. I was pleasantly surprised. I know he has advocated not preaching on preferences, not being angry, having grace. I know in earlier days he did not always exhibit these things but I haven't always been as right as I am now either. :)  Is he considered a "compromiser" yet?

Compromising what?
In methodology?

What is wrong with listening to someone who doesn't share your philosophy of ministry? I've heard IFB big wig Pastors mock those who would read John MacArthur commentaries.

IMO Chappell is the best of the entire IFB bunch, but I would not send my daughter to his school. But I wouldn't hesitate to read his material or listen to his sermons.

I think he was preaching against the very "seeker-friendly" leaders while sending his staff to learn from them... this was the hypocrisy...

Not sure how I feel about going to certain people to get advice.  On one hand, I do believe that I can learn something from anyone.  At the same time, the Bible cautioned against being spoiled by "philosophy and vain deceit" after the traditions of men or after the rudiments of the world.  I think some of the philosophies these men propound are exactly this.  To be fair, I have heard plenty of IFB leaders use men's philosophy - especially in the area of converts - that it is all a matter of numbers.  This stinks of human reasoning and not Scripture.

BALAAM said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Walt said:

Compromising what?
In methodology?

Let me try to enlighten you. In ifb speak 'change' (ostensibly of any kind) is one of the cardinal sins right up there with drunkenness and adultery. One of the things instilled in your mind that to 'change' is to compromise and therefore always bad. I heard JH say many times just decide what you believe right now and don't ever change. Now, that means that a 19 year old college student is to decide at 19 that he knows and understands everything about the Bible and what it teaches and to 'change' anything is akin to blasphemy. In order to accomplish this you are absolutely never supposed to read any books not written by ifb (ifbx) authors and never go to a conference or fellowship with any non-ifb types. (good luck if you ever feel like reading books)

This is a great summary.  Some change is "going bad" (like in decay); other change is necessary (churches don't have posts for tying up horses these days, for example); other change is good - I like being able to text and email encouragement to members of our church.

Walt said:
BALAAM said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Walt said:

Compromising what?
In methodology?

This is a great summary.  Some change is "going bad" (like in decay); other change is necessary (churches don't have posts for tying up horses these days, for example); other change is good - I like being able to text and email encouragement to members of our church.

Agreed.
So, you don't disdain reading the Swindolls, MacArthurs or the John Pipers in one's study?