Philip Yancey?

T-Bone

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
What do you think of him?  Where is he off & where is he right?  Thoughts?

loved his paintings.

:D

Okay, on a serious note, from his own website...

Would it be accurate to say that you do not believe God judges homosexual feelings, as heterosexuals experience these temptations too, but that you would consider acting on them and engaging in homosexual activity, either in the mind or in the flesh, to be sin according to the Bible?

It would be more accurate to say that I intentionally don’t take sides on this issue.  I’ve observed that as soon as a person does take sides, communication ends.  I hear from gay Christians who are very disappointed that I don’t condone their point of view, and I hear from traditional Christians who are very disappointed that I don’t condemn homosexual behavior.  As long as I get angry letters from both sides, I feel better.
http://www.philipyancey.com/q-and-a-topics/homosexuality

He says a lot of other good things, but this is enough for me to see his foundational philosophy of identifying sin is flawed.

ALAYMAN said:
loved his paintings.

Okay, on a serious note, from his own website...

Would it be accurate to say that you do not believe God judges homosexual feelings, as heterosexuals experience these temptations too, but that you would consider acting on them and engaging in homosexual activity, either in the mind or in the flesh, to be sin according to the Bible?

It would be more accurate to say that I intentionally don’t take sides on this issue.  I’ve observed that as soon as a person does take sides, communication ends.  I hear from gay Christians who are very disappointed that I don’t condone their point of view, and I hear from traditional Christians who are very disappointed that I don’t condemn homosexual behavior.  As long as I get angry letters from both sides, I feel better.
http://www.philipyancey.com/q-and-a-topics/homosexuality

He says a lot of other good things, but this is enough for me to see his foundational philosophy of identifying sin is flawed.

We posted it about the same time. :)

The fact he says " I refuse to take sides".....is a clear indication he's got some issues.

christundivided said:
We posted it about the same time. :)

Just like Dwight Yoakum, Always Late.....

The fact he says " I refuse to take sides".....is a clear indication he's got some issues.

yeppers

I read his book, The Jesus I Never Knew, many years ago.  I found it to be very thought provoking and good but I've never read anything else by him.  His writing style was a bit boring but he made some observations that I'd never really thought about regarding Jesus and to me, it was worth the read.

Marji said:
I read his book, The Jesus I Never Knew, many years ago.  I found it to be very thought provoking and good but I've never read anything else by him.  His writing style was a bit boring but he made some observations that I'd never really thought about regarding Jesus and to me, it was worth the read.

Yep.  Has to be one of the best books I've read.

Tom Brennan reviews one of Philip Yancey's books - it's an unfavorable review:

"Why conservative Christians let alone independent Baptists would look to such a man to explain and expound the Word of God is a mystery to me. . . . This blog post . . . is about where the wrong view of grace leads. It leads to repentance eliminated in favor of tolerance and forgiveness cheapened into permission. In a word, it leads to grace no longer being grace but rather being acceptance. Yancey can deny it all he wants, and your now-contemporary-used-to-be-fundamentalist friends can do the same. Their denials fade to the echoes of a whisper when confronted with their actions. What you believe changes how you live, and what you read changes what you believe."

Tom Brennan reviews one of Philip Yancey's books - it's an unfavorable review:

"Why conservative Christians let alone independent Baptists would look to such a man to explain and expound the Word of God is a mystery to me. . . . This blog post . . . is about where the wrong view of grace leads. It leads to repentance eliminated in favor of tolerance and forgiveness cheapened into permission. In a word, it leads to grace no longer being grace but rather being acceptance. Yancey can deny it all he wants, and your now-contemporary-used-to-be-fundamentalist friends can do the same. Their denials fade to the echoes of a whisper when confronted with their actions. What you believe changes how you live, and what you read changes what you believe."
I agree. He should not be teaching us anything about Grace. Neither should Chuck Swindoll. Swindoll had a famous book called Grace Awakening. It had very little to do with grace, if we see grace theologically as Unmerited favor, or God's pouring out blessings on us from the overflow of his eternal Self-Sufficiency. Swindoll's book basically talked about shaking off the shackles of legalism and embracing liberty.