Philippians 1:6 - What do you think?

PFFlyer

Elect
Reaction score
May I have your thoughts?

Philippians 1:3-6  3 I thank my God upon every remembrance of you,  4 Always in every prayer of mine for you all making request with joy,  5 For your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now;  6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

What is the work that He has begun?

What is the day of Jesus Christ?  The ?catching away??  The return of the King in glory?  Something else?

By the way, Howdy Everybody!  It's been a while!

Compare this with 2 Thess 2:2 
2 not to be soon shaken in mind or troubled, either by spirit or by word or by letter, as if from us, as though the day of Christ had come.

The "day of Christ" refers to the 2nd Coming of the Lord for His church (2 Cor 1:14; Phil 1:6).  The "day of the Lord" (1 Thess 5:2) refers to the judgment of the ungodly.  Check out the Old Testament references to the "Day of the Lord."

PFFlyer said:

What is the day of Jesus Christ? 

-sanctification, becoming like Christ

-in this case I think "day of Jesus Christ" refers to the end times; IOW, the Holy Spirit will continue to lead us on into sanctification until the time comes when we lay this flesh aside, the world and the devil are defeated, and we fulfill that for which we have been predestined: being conformed to the image of Christ.

...and it is good to "see" you again.

PFFlyer said:
May I have your thoughts?

Philippians 1:3-6  3 I thank my God upon every remembrance of you,  4 Always in every prayer of mine for you all making request with joy,  5 For your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now;  6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

What is the work that He has begun?  Here he is referencing the history of the Philippian church recorded in Acts 16 .  The work begun was the work of the Gospel (grace), first seen in Lydia, then the possessed damsel, and in the jailer.  Obviously that beginning Gospel that saved has been the Gospel that sanctifies as evidenced by 2:12--"...you have always obeyed...in my presence...but...much more in my absence..."
What is the day of Jesus Christ?  The ?catching away??  The return of the King in glory?  Something else? It is a general reference to a completion date--when Christ reigns

By the way, Howdy Everybody!  It's been a while!

Hope this helps

Seems the context indictes that their support of Paul is what he is referencing in verses 6.

Tom Brennan said:
PFFlyer said:

-in this case I think "day of Jesus Christ" refers to the end times; IOW, the Holy Spirit will continue to lead us on into sanctification until the time comes when we lay this flesh aside, the world and the devil are defeated, and we fulfill that for which we have been predestined: being conformed to the image of Christ.

What he said.

Mathew Ward said:
Seems the context indictes that their support of Paul is what he is referencing in verses 6.

I don't think so.  Paul is making request for:  fellowship in the Gospel; Confidence

Binaca Chugger said:
Mathew Ward said:

I don't think so.  Paul is making request for:  fellowship in the Gospel; Confidence

The word fellowship in verse 5 is the key term (koino?nia) and it means (1) ?joint participation in?; (2) ?fellowship in? or (3) an idiom for giving money (cf. Phil. 4:15; Rom. 12:13; 15:26; 2 Cor. 9:13; Gal. 6:6; 1 Tim. 6:18), therefore, it may refer to this church?s monetary gift to Paul (cf. 1:7; 4:10, 14?18).

Tom Brennan said:
PFFlyer said:

I cannot add much to this... clearly, the work that has begun in us is the work to make us more Christ-like.  We know that this will not be complete until the return of Christ, when the dead saints will be resurrected, and the live saints will be caught up in the air to be with Him.  Thus, the "day of Christ" must refer to that time when when the work is done.

Mathew Ward said:
Binaca Chugger said:
Mathew Ward said:

The word fellowship in verse 5 is the key term (koino?nia) and it means (1) ?joint participation in?; (2) ?fellowship in? or (3) an idiom for giving money (cf. Phil. 4:15; Rom. 12:13; 15:26; 2 Cor. 9:13; Gal. 6:6; 1 Tim. 6:18), therefore, it may refer to this church?s monetary gift to Paul (cf. 1:7; 4:10, 14?18).

If so, it is not really a gift to Paul for his personal luxury, but participation in his ministry of sharing the Gospel abroad.  Volumes could be written on the term "Fellowship in the Gospel."

Binaca Chugger said:
Mathew Ward said:
Binaca Chugger said:
Mathew Ward said:

If so, it is not really a gift to Paul for his personal luxury, but participation in his ministry of sharing the Gospel abroad.  Volumes could be written on the term "Fellowship in the Gospel."

Definitely...

Does the sanctification process continue into the Millennial reign for the saints?

PFFlyer said:
Does the sanctification process continue into the Millennial reign for the saints?

Not for those who will be ruling i.e. the raptured Church. Sanctification is the process that produces holiness, and they/we will already be entirely sanctified/holy. But there will be natural humans (for lack of a better term) who get saved in the Tribulation and live right through into the Millennium. For them the process of sanctification will continue like it does now with us until death.