Phones and tablets

RAIDER

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
I have noticed that more and more people (especially the young crowd) do not carry their Bible to church, but rather a phone or tablet.  I am old school on this because of the notes I have in my Bible as well as liking to actually hold a book.  I do not think it is wrong or a sin to look at the Scripture on a phone or tablet.  Here would be my beef.  The temptation to look at other items on phone or tablet presents itself.  If you get an email or text it will show up and divert your attention.

Hacker Nation, what think ye?

You are correct on the distractions.

I recently learned that golf green fee sales are down.  The main reason:  smartphones.

RAIDER said:
I have noticed that more and more people (especially the young crowd) do not carry their Bible to church, but rather a phone or tablet.  I am old school on this because of the notes I have in my Bible as well as liking to actually hold a book.  I do not think it is wrong or a sin to look at the Scripture on a phone or tablet.  Here would be my beef.  The temptation to look at other items on phone or tablet presents itself.  If you get an email or text it will show up and divert your attention.

Well............I have over 20 Bibles that I could carry to services. But my phone with it's internet connections to many Bible sites has all I need for following along or for note taking, plus our church provides wifi.

I've started using my kindle app on my iPad to read books and still miss the turning of the page.

I never even considered using an app instead of turning to page such and such in the Scofield...

fishinnut said:
RAIDER said:

Well............I have over 20 Bibles that I could carry to services. But my phone with it's internet connections to many Bible sites has all I need for following along or for note taking, plus our church provides wifi.

Does your phone notify you when you get a text or email?

RAIDER said:
fishinnut said:
RAIDER said:

I put the phone on silent mode at church.

I always take my iPad with me to church. I use it to follow the Scripture and also to take notes of the sermon. The pastor once made a comment that I thought was a bit out of character for him so I googled it and, sure enough, I found the sermon that he had downloaded...That must have been a rare thing because he always has original material and it's easy to tell it is his own because he is not much of an erudite. 

Citadel of Truth said:
"original material" 

lost_emoticon.png

I once asked John Goetsch (he was coming to preach a meeting locally) to make sure to bring an "original" message (i.e one never preached before).  I got the oddest look!

But I understand your point.  While we all glean from others, we shouldn't make it so easy to find that out by doing a Google search.

RAIDER said:

If you want to be distracted or are willing to be, you can be distracted with a Bible in your hand as much as a tablet.

If you are going to use a phone/tablet, it's just a matter of resolving to only follow along in the Bible and ignore anything else.

I have no problems with using phones/tablets (I did it once when I left my Bible at home); however, I prefer a physical Bible.

Having said that, a huge benefit to an electronic Bible is searching...

fishinnut said:
RAIDER said:
fishinnut said:
RAIDER said:

I'm guessing you still get a pop up when you get an email or a text.

RAIDER said:
fishinnut said:
RAIDER said:
fishinnut said:
RAIDER said:

I use the phone for Scripture lookups about 1% of the services & put it in my pocket otherwise. Besides our pastor is well prepared & has the text on the 3 big screens.

fishinnut said:
RAIDER said:
fishinnut said:
RAIDER said:
fishinnut said:
RAIDER said:

I use the phone for Scripture lookups about 1% of the services & put it in my pocket otherwise. Besides our pastor is well prepared & has the text on the 3 big screens.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, you go to one of those churches where the pastor says. "Put your phones away and look up here!"

"All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient"

Using a phone or a tablet is not sinful in anyway, but it still is probably not the best option.

Distractions being number one.
Secondly, when I see people staring a phone while I preach, I usually assume they are playing Candy Crush or viewing Facebook :)
I prefer people bring their Bible's and use them while I preach, but I certainly can't demand it or condemn them for it.

cpizzle said:

Using a phone or a tablet is not sinful in anyway, but it still is probably not the best option.

Secondly, when I see people staring a phone while I preach, I usually assume they are playing Candy Crush or viewing Facebook :)
I prefer people bring their Bible's and use them while I preach, but I certainly can't demand it or condemn them for it.

Agree 100%!

RAIDER said:
cpizzle said:

Agree 100%!

Let's make a 100% button!

cpizzle said:

Yes, but this is an uncharitable assumption on your part, isn't it?  I don't have Candy Crush or Facebook on my phone.

People in underground churches often use secret Bible apps to read the Bible.

These people who are adamant that the Bible has to include paper need to shut up.

TheRealJonStewart said:

These people who are adamant that the Bible has to include paper need to shut up.

I don't think anyone on this thread has said it is wrong to read the Bible on an app. The discussion is on using an app during a church service in America. Does it add distractions.

RAIDER said:
TheRealJonStewart said:

I don't think anyone on this thread has said it is wrong to read the Bible on an app. The discussion is on using an app during a church service in America. Does it add distractions.

Since much of the Bible was not written on paper, it would not make much sense to demand that we read it only on paper today.  ;D

As far as distractions, yes, it can be distracting. Even if you have it on silent you will still see when a text or a phone call comes in. And, some phones on vibrate are just as loud as some ringtones. The only way not to see notifications during the service is to put the phone on airplane mode. But, most people will not do that because we think we're so important that people need to be able to reach us anytime anywhere. I'm including myself in that group.  8) 

Citadel of Truth said:
RAIDER said:
TheRealJonStewart said:

Since much of the Bible was not written on paper, it would not make much sense to demand that we read it only on paper today.  ;D

As far as distractions, yes, it can be distracting. Even if you have it on silent you will still see when a text or a phone call comes in. And, some phones on vibrate are just as loud as some ringtones. The only way not to see notifications during the service is to put the phone on airplane mode. But, most people will not do that because we think we're so important that people need to be able to reach us anytime anywhere. I'm including myself in that group.  8)

And if something is breaking on the forum, Raider needs to be able to contact us