Poor Snowflake - Whaaaa

Many people flooded the comments in support of the young woman who works in marketing, with several calling for a four-day work week.​

That 80% work week probably doesn't come with an 80% salary in their minds, either.

Brielle continued: 'I leave here and get on the train at like 7.30am and I don't get home until 6.15pm earliest. I don't have the time to do anything.'​

That's terrible! At my first full-time job, at a mine in northern Ontario, the company school bus that took me out to the minesite was only one hour earlier than that.

'I don't have energy to work out, like that's out of the window. I'm so upset. Oh my god.'​

Rule of thumb: When someone appends "oh my god" to her complaint, it automatically renders the complaint trivial.

She reflected that it 'could be worse,' stating: 'I know I could be working longer, but I get off and it's literally pitch black, like I don't have energy.'​

You think it's bad now, toots, wait until winter when they turn the clocks back.

Another commenter added: '40 hour work week was designed with a homemaker to take care of house tasks.

'We need dual incomes now, so that's not possible. No time for anything.'​

Yep. Women gained equal access to the workplace in the 1960s-70s, and since then the family wage has gone out the window, because instead of having a single breadwinner and a full-time homemaker, families were now dual-income and both spouses started working outside the home.

I don't think that's inherently bad. But if you don't like it, thank a feminist.

One person quipped: 'The other generations have gaslit themselves to say this was ok.'​

It is OK. You want to have fun, go on dates, meet friends and eat in nice restaurants? Wonderful. Me too. How do you bankroll those things? You earn money at a job.

That's the tradeoff.

If you can't hack being a 9-5 employee, start your own business and set your own hours. All the best in your future endeavours.

My nephew has wife + 2 kids. He commutes 60 miles each way to work 4 days per week (driving a pickup truck), works 10+ hours a day and still finds time to spend evenings with family and take his daughter to her softball tournaments on weekends. I don't know how he does it... He makes an INSANE amount of money plus full benefits. (He works for the Corps of Engineers.)

My nephew has wife + 2 kids. He commutes 60 miles each way to work 4 days per week (driving a pickup truck), works 10+ hours a day and still finds time to spend evenings with family and take his daughter to her softball tournaments on weekends. I don't know how he does it... He makes an INSANE amount of money plus full benefits. (He works for the Corps of Engineers.)
Much respect to him!

One of the main reasons I decided on going down the HR path and eschewing the courtroom path is because Iā€™d potentially be looking at up to 80 hours a week as a newbie. No thanks. I enjoy fishing, duck hunting and playing golf way too much for that nonsense. Of course the tradeoff is Iā€™ll never have to worry about making several hundred thousand dollars a year and whether my stock portfolio is diversified enough or not. Oh well. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

The answer is to live somewhere you dont have to spend 4 hrs a day commuting to work (unpaid).

As a recent college graduate 7 to 7 would take a little getting used too. Schedules on most college campuses are relaxed to say the least. For students who are notworking to pay their own way, it's even easier.

If she lived in a much smaller city it would be a 10 min walk or 5 min bicycle ride to and from work and she would have time to smell the flowers.

We are creating these situations by not requiring our kids to get up at a decent hr, not giving them responsibilities and not allowing them to face any hardship when they are young. I'm all for a 12 hr work day, but it should all be at work getting paid.

We could also discuss the mindless practice of accruing $200,000 in student debt to get a degree and a job you will likely not even like and may not pay well. On average it takes 20 years to pay off student loans in the US.

2 year technical degrees often pay just as well and come with zero debt and lots of job offers.

Try Vet tech, avionic tech, pharm tech, lab tech, HVAC tech, Wind Turbine Tech, Solar install and repair tech, Telecommunications Tech, medical equipment tech, MRI or CAT scan tech, ultra sound tech, auto tech, communication and networking tech, and data center tech to name a few. There is also a nationwide shortage or barbers, plumbers, tailors and Seamstresses.

The answer is to live somewhere you dont have to spend 4 hrs a day commuting to work (unpaid).

As a recent college graduate 7 to 7 would take a little getting used too. Schedules on most college campuses are relaxed to say the least. For students who are notworking to pay their own way, it's even easier.

If she lived in a much smaller city it would be a 10 min walk or 5 min bicycle ride to and from work and she would have time to smell the flowers.

We are creating these situations by not requiring our kids to get up at a decent hr, not giving them responsibilities and not allowing them to face any hardship when they are young. I'm all for a 12 hr work day, but it should all be at work getting paid.

We could also discuss the mindless practice of accruing $200,000 in student debt to get a degree and a job you will likely not even like and may not pay well. On average it takes 20 years to pay off student loans in the US.

2 year technical degrees often pay just as well and come with zero debt and lots of job offers.

Try Vet tech, avionic tech, pharm tech, lab tech, HVAC tech, Wind Turbine Tech, Solar install and repair tech, Telecommunications Tech, medical equipment tech, MRI or CAT scan tech, ultra sound tech, auto tech, communication and networking tech, and data center tech to name a few. There is also a nationwide shortage or barbers, plumbers, tailors and Seamstresses.
$200,000? Where on earth did you go to college? In Florida, junior college costs about $3,000 a year and state university is about $6,000. Even law school didnā€™t cost me that kind of money.

$200,000? Where on earth did you go to college? In Florida, junior college costs about $3,000 a year and state university is about $6,000. Even law school didnā€™t cost me that kind of money.
Average cost for state universities is 100k+ and private nearing what he stated at 200+.

Average cost for state universities is 100k+ and private nearing what he stated at 200+.
Well, yā€™all need to do whatever weā€™re doing in Florida. My college statistics are accurate because I verified before typing. I did junior college before going to university for junior/senior years. If a kid commutes from home, does freshman/sophomore years at juco, then state u for junior/senior years, the cost would be in the ballpark of $30K (thatā€™s including textbooks and fees) in Florida. Maybe in other states itā€™s astronomically higher. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

Well, yā€™all need to do whatever weā€™re doing in Florida. My college statistics are accurate because I verified before typing. I did junior college before going to university for junior/senior years. If a kid commutes from home, does freshman/sophomore years at juco, then state u for junior/senior years, the cost would be in the ballpark of $30K (thatā€™s including textbooks and fees) in Florida. Maybe in other states itā€™s astronomically higher. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø
Yeah, I took a similar route and would advise others of the non-silverspoon variety to do the same, but unfortunately there are plenty of folk going the route of paying for the on-campus regular university path, and in those cases theyā€™re entering the workforce heavily behind the eight-ball of debt. If it was a given that was my only option (assuming no scholarships, grants, or juco) I would go into the service or a skilled trade rather than start with that sort of albatross around my neck.

Yeah, I took a similar route and would advise others of the non-silverspoon variety to do the same, but unfortunately there are plenty of folk going the route of paying for the on-campus regular university path, and in those cases theyā€™re entering the workforce heavily behind the eight-ball of debt. If it was a given that was my only option (assuming no scholarships, grants, or juco) I would go into the service or a skilled trade rather than start with that sort of albatross around my neck.
I think twenty/thirty years ago, the thought process was everyone needed a college degree if they wanted to have a decent shot in life. I really donā€™t think that mentality still exists as much today. Colleges have gotten a reputation as being liberal conveyor belts, not to mention the cost vs reward is no longer seen as practical for many with non-specialized degrees. If a kid can spend a few months or just a year in an apprenticeship or in tech school and make good money, thereā€™s really no point in getting a bachelorā€™s degree. Of course, there are plenty of careers that require a college degree and then graduate education, but as Iā€™ve said before, even for my job a law degree is preferable, but not required.

I think twenty/thirty years ago, the thought process was everyone needed a college degree if they wanted to have a decent shot in life. I really donā€™t think that mentality still exists as much today. Colleges have gotten a reputation as being liberal conveyor belts, not to mention the cost vs reward is no longer seen as practical for many with non-specialized degrees. If a kid can spend a few months or just a year in an apprenticeship or in tech school and make good money, thereā€™s really no point in getting a bachelorā€™s degree. Of course, there are plenty of careers that require a college degree and then graduate education, but as Iā€™ve said before, even for my job a law degree is preferable, but not required.
Pretty much agree, though Iā€™d quibble a little about the degree of alleged detrimental impact of the liberal penchant in colleges today vs my experience. No doubt thereā€™s a lot of woke ideology in the humanities comparatively speaking, but that stuff ainā€™t affecting the periodic chart nor the Pythagorean theorem or engineering requirements that lead to high paying jobs.

No doubt thereā€™s a lot of woke ideology in the humanities comparatively speaking, but that stuff ainā€™t affecting the periodic chart nor the Pythagorean theorem or engineering requirements that lead to high paying jobs.

Don't be so sure.

Remember Francis Schaeffer's "line of despair." Ideas that have their start in philosophy (or, more generally, the humanities) find their way in to art, then music and the theatre and so forth, then the general world, and finallly into theology.

I don't think he was 100% right about that. The particular expression of Marxism underlying DEI (Diversity, Equity and Inclusivity) that you're calling "woke ideology" got to the church earlier--but now it's penetrated the STEM fields, which you would think were immune (what does multiplication have to do with race?) But we're just on the wrong side of Schaeffer's line, so we still think in absolutes.

I used to work at McDonnell Douglas/Boeing in Long Beach, CA.
I got up at 0300, was out the door at 0345, got to work at 0530, worked until 1530, got home around 1730. I lived in Moreno Valley, traveled 57 to 65 miles one way to work (dependent upon which way you wanted to go, sometimes the shorter way was snarled with an accident). The only saving grace is that it was a four day week/10 hour day. However, my Fridays were spent recuperating from the early mornings, long hours and ungodly commute.

Well, I know right now my wife is working 7 days a week because of the "end of the quarter" for Dell and Ceva Logistics. She drives over an hour one way to work, and it's almost two hours to get home. She often works six days a week. Depending on her work schedule, we go to bed at 8:30 p.m. and get up at 2 or 3 a.m. It's called adulting.

Remember Francis Schaeffer's "line of despair." Ideas that have their start in philosophy (or, more generally, the humanities) find their way in to art, then music and the theatre and so forth, then the general world, and finallly into theology.
That's pretty accurate. If you want an example of this kind of woke "thinking" pervading the sciences (not withstanding evolutionary biology) look at how far medical science has gone off the rails with a whole faction of medical practitioners thinking that gender reassignment "therapies" are appropriate for children.

Don't be so sure.

I don't think he was 100% right about that. The particular expression of Marxism underlying DEI (Diversity, Equity and Inclusivity) that you're calling "woke ideology" got to the church earlier--but now it's penetrated the STEM fields, which you would think were immune (what does multiplication have to do with race?) But we're just on the wrong side of Schaeffer's line, so we still think in absolutes.
Your viewpoint (and my originally stated one) is unequivocally correct. Woke has permeated STEM, and even mathematics isnā€™t immune. Thatā€™s the reason the governor of Florida had multiple math books eliminated from the public school system in our state. California is (in)famous for its ā€œwoke math,ā€ and itā€™s 100% in the university system, because it originated there before sliding down to the younger students: https://californiaglobe.com/fr/california-refuses-to-give-up-woke-math/amp/