Possible Reasons For Dropping the Baptist Name

Dr. Phil was a forum sock puppet from many years ago, one of the best ones we’ve ever had. His owner was quite intellectually formidable. I doubt you would have wanted to spar with him, and I am sure he would not suffer you.
I would definitely spar with him on economics and money.

Dr. Phil was a forum sock puppet from many years ago, one of the best ones we’ve ever had. His owner was quite intellectually formidable. I doubt you would have wanted to spar with him, and I am sure he would not suffer you.

Ryan DeBarr was a good man! I wish he would come back here and bring "Dr. Phil" with him! I tried but I don't think I did him justice! But do you like how I threw a little "Steven Anderson" in there as well (or did you catch that part)?

Ryan DeBarr was a good man! I wish he would come back here and bring "Dr. Phil" with him! I tried but I don't think I did him justice! But do you like how I threw a little "Steven Anderson" in there as well (or did you catch that part)?

He’s in Germany now, and though he was of a keen theologically persuasion and trained at Southern Seminary in the mid 2000s, he doesn’t seem to have put that aspect of his pursuits into practice as he moved into mid-life, but instead pivoted enthusiastically to urban renewal and economic development. On living in Germany now…

You know very little about me. This guy sounds like a lefty like AL Sharpton with a dash of religion.
Me being an Ashkenazi Jew it's rather doubtful he knows more than me about economics, money and engineering. My late father and I both held patents for our respective employers before we retired. Westinghouse for semiconductors and Caterpillar for large engines.

What on God's green earth is a sock puppet? (Other than the obvious reference to the improvised toy?)

What on God's green earth is a sock puppet? (Other than the obvious reference to the improvised toy?)

In Internet lingo, a "sock puppet" is a false second identity used for deception. It originally meant a fictitious identity created by a user to praise or defend his "real" one (e.g. "I've been reading this guy's posts, and I think he's got a valid point"). These days we also use "sock puppet" to refer to someone who creates a second identity to evade bans, stuff polls, or to caricature some opinion or position and make it look ridiculous.

The FFF's got a long history of sock puppets, especially of that last definition. As long as they're meant for humour rather than deception and are a poorly kept secret, they've been tolerated.

In Internet lingo, a "sock puppet" is a false second identity used for deception. It originally meant a fictitious identity created by a user to praise or defend his "real" one (e.g. "I've been reading this guy's posts, and I think he's got a valid point"). These days we also use "sock puppet" to refer to someone who creates a second identity to evade bans, stuff polls, or to caricature some opinion or position and make it look ridiculous.

The FFF's got a long history of sock puppets, especially of that last definition. As long as they're meant for humour rather than deception and are a poorly kept secret, they've been tolerated.
Sock Puppets can be amusing. Trolls need to be banished to eternal hellfire and damnation!

But sometimes it is amusing to keep around trolls just to jerk their chain!:cool:

Hugh Jass
i rmember that one...... and the hilarious pictures..... his story was just coming to an end back when i joined the forum..... .that was the days of the soup nazi and smellin-cigarettes... then when my dad retired from diving he created emptydivesuit.... but everyone knew who it was behind it.....

i rmember that one...... and the hilarious pictures..... his story was just coming to an end back when i joined the forum..... .that was the days of the soup nazi and smellin-cigarettes... then when my dad retired from diving he created emptydivesuit.... but everyone knew who it was behind it.....
Hugh was Phil Johnson, Johnny Mac’s right hand man for many years now.

I just remember in those days that there were a lot of zany characters on the FFF in general. I wasn’t very Internet savvy and had a hard time figuring out the whole sock puppet thing. That was made all the more difficult by the fact that there were actually some people who seemed like they were sock puppets, but actually were wacko enough to believe some of the stuff that sock puppets spoofed.

Last edited:
Hugh was Phil Johnson
I thought for the longest time that Hugh was either Jeri Massi, or another Ryan DeBarr sock due to his similarity to Phil Armenik.

I only caught on after I recognized, of all things, Phil J.'s Photoshop technique.

I thought for the longest time that Hugh was either Jeri Massi, …

OK, forgive the stream of consciousness, rambling as I meander down memory lane, but BASS was a Presbyterian, and that reminded me of a character that I hadn’t thought of for maybe 20 years, tachbuloth, who was also a Presbyterian if I remember correctly.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

OK, forgive the stream of consciousness, rambling as I meander down memory lane, but BASS was a Presbyterian, and that reminded me of a character that I hadn’t thought of for maybe 20 years, tachbuloth, who was also a Presbyterian if I remember correctly.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.
i think the old squirrel was a presbyterian too.... mr hall was an episcopalian ...he said the difference in the 2 was that wherever you see 4 episcopalians you will always find a fifth...:unsure:.. took me a while to figure that out until i saw the same joke told about irishmen....:rolleyes: ... yeah i;m slow sometimes... and a few of the sockpuppets had a great time leading me on.... ....oh well..... i still miss some of them..... .

wherever you see 4 episcopalians you will always find a fifth..
🤣 I first heard that one about Southern Baptists.

When I was in Pensacola, we referred to Episcopalians as Whiskypalians.

Around Idaho and Utah the joke goes: If you bring a Mormon fishing with you, how do you keep him from drinking all your beer? Bring a second Mormon.