Praise ...

Tim

Elect
Reaction score
God has placed in my path a very Godly Pastor to help me with my Church struggles right now.

It was just what I needed and I praise God for this assistance.

He isn't IFB and I can't believe the wealth of wisdom he has. He isn't a young guy, and perhaps that makes the difference.

But. It was exactly what me and my family needed right now.

Tim said:
God has placed in my path a very Godly Pastor to help me with my Church struggles right now.

He isn't IFB and I can't believe the wealth of wisdom he has. He isn't a young guy, and perhaps that makes the difference.

The mind reels with thoughts and reactions!  :D

subllibrm said:
Tim said:

Not being IFB would set off warning bells for me, with "B" being the least important, and "F" probably being the most important.... in other words, if his church is fundamental and independent, I'm not terribly concerned about them having "Baptist" in their church name.

But if it's not a fundamental church, that is huge to me.

Tim said:

I'm glad that your family is being helped, though.

Walt said:
subllibrm said:
Tim said:

Not being IFB would set off warning bells for me, with "B" being the least important, and "F" probably being the most important.... in other words, if his church is fundamental and independent, I'm not terribly concerned about them having "Baptist" in their church name.

He pastors what their website describes as, "an independent, baptist church that partners with the Mid-Atlantic Network of Baptist Churches and also voluntarily cooperating with the 40,000 churches of the Southern Baptist Convention to take the good news of the gospel to a needy world."

From what I have observed they are a independent evangelical Church that adheres to the fundamentals of the faith - unlike a certain bread of Churches that are IFB  in name with a reputation of being legalistic and extreme.

He is a graduate of Dallas Theological Seminary.

Tim said:
- unlike a certain bread of Churches that are IFB  in name with a reputation of being legalistic and extreme.

Stale bread?

Twisted said:
Tim said:
- unlike a certain bread of Churches that are IFB  in name with a reputation of being legalistic and extreme.

Stale bread?

Exactly! Some Churches have the fresh bread of life and others have stale. LOL

Tim said:
Walt said:
subllibrm said:
Tim said:

He pastors what their website describes as, "an independent, baptist church that partners with the Mid-Atlantic Network of Baptist Churches and also voluntarily cooperating with the 40,000 churches of the Southern Baptist Convention to take the good news of the gospel to a needy world."

From what I have observed they are a independent evangelical Church that adheres to the fundamentals of the faith - unlike a certain bread of Churches that are IFB  in name with a reputation of being legalistic and extreme.

To quote another, the problem with evangelical churches is generally not the truth that they preach, but rather the truth that is ignored.

In order not to offend, they get a smaller and smaller list of what they can preach.

Walt said:
Tim said:
subllibrm said:
Tim said:
subllibrm said:
Tim said:

Ruh roh Raggy!!!! :eek:

J. Vernon McGee is one of their graduates.

So are many women!  ;)

That is a problem?

Only when they grant pastoral degrees to women (they started this practice in, I think 1987 or 1988)

Interesting. I didn't realize they gave pastoral degrees now to women.

This pastor I have been talking with graduated way before 87'

Tim said:
Walt said:
Tim said:
subllibrm said:
Tim said:
subllibrm said:
Tim said:

Ruh roh Raggy!!!! :eek:

J. Vernon McGee is one of their graduates.

So are many women!  ;)

That is a problem?

Only when they grant pastoral degrees to women (they started this practice in, I think 1987 or 1988)

Interesting. I didn't realize they gave pastoral degrees now to women.

This pastor I have been talking with graduated way before 87'

I didn't know much about it; however, sometime in the mid-80s, I met the son of a pastor who had moved to the Dallas, TX area specifically to go to DTS.  Before he could start the program, they began admitting women to the pastoral program. In disappointment and protest, he didn't register, and eventually went back home.  I'm not sure what year it was, but I arrived in the DFW area in the summer of 1984 and left the area in the summer of 1987,  so it was between those dates. I think he left in early 1987, so he probably arrived in the spring of 1986 with the intention of signing up for the fall semester 1986.

So. We visited the Church pastored by my new pastor friend, and it was amazing on many levels (specially his Bible teaching). Well. Except the worship band - I am such a HYMN person! But. My kids liked singing to guitars and drums and actually having other kids in their Sunday School. The band wasn't that wild compared to other Churches we have visited in years past.

But, back at the home Church they are voting this Wednesday for an unacceptable interim pastor. I went online and found some messages he preached last year and found a gem where he preaches against video games. Not just violent ones. ALL VIDEO GAMES. Of course - he was the classic IFBxer that we have avoided for awhile now.

I am a timid person. Inside I want to stand up Wednesday and say just the right thing to defend why we don't need a man like this pastoring our Church. But - so many will appreciator his age and style and many will agree with his general doctrinal stands. I can at least object in my vote. Maybe share the message where he preaches against video games - but most will probably agree since they are 60+ and never touch them and know at least one kid who plays some violent game.

Part of me wants to just leave and burn the bridge!!!! UGGGG!

Tim said:
So. We visited the Church pastored by my new pastor friend, and it was amazing on many levels (specially his Bible teaching). Well. Except the worship band - I am such a HYMN person! But. My kids liked singing to guitars and drums and actually having other kids in their Sunday School. The band wasn't that wild compared to other Churches we have visited in years past.

But, back at the home Church they are voting this Wednesday for an unacceptable interim pastor. I went online and found some messages he preached last year and found a gem where he preaches against video games. Not just violent ones. ALL VIDEO GAMES. Of course - he was the classic IFBxer that we have avoided for awhile now.

I am a timid person. Inside I want to stand up Wednesday and say just the right thing to defend why we don't need a man like this pastoring our Church. But - so many will appreciator his age and style and many will agree with his general doctrinal stands. I can at least object in my vote. Maybe share the message where he preaches against video games - but most will probably agree since they are 60+ and never touch them and know at least one kid who plays some violent game.

Part of me wants to just leave and burn the bridge!!!! UGGGG!

It seems that your present church is out of synch with what you want in a church home...perhaps you should seriously and prayerfully consider burning the bridge.