Prayer

Tom Brennan said:
sword said:
Mark 11:24 - Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive [them], and ye shall have [them].

If I only had the faith to believe this much every time.

This is the single hardest verse about prayer in the Bible for me to process and live. I'm not even sure I understand it well. It's also one of the few I've never preached on b/c of what I just said. But it sure in in there, isn't it?

Maybe it was given only to the twelve.  :)

Luke 18:1
And he spake a parable unto them to this end,
that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;

Prayer is part of the armour of God.
Eph. 6:10-20

Verse 18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit,
and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

fishinnut said:

While I am not nor ever will be expert at this, I have found that modern technology with phone apps has helped me tremendously toward fulfilling the ALWAYS part of this verse. 

I also once posted on the FFF before this one about praying for someone - a forum member - when I saw a car with a license plate from the same state where he lived.  I was almost ridiculed by some (not all) other posters for doing that. 

However, as I drive around town, I notice a friend alongside me or in a lane or stop signal opposite, I still breathe a prayer for them, or sometimes just when I see a car like a friend's car with strangers in it, I pray for that friend.  I believe God brings those folks to my mind - not only to THINK of them, but to PRAY for them. 

patriotic said:
fishinnut said:

While I am not nor ever will be expert at this, I have found that modern technology with phone apps has helped me tremendously toward fulfilling the ALWAYS part of this verse. 

I also once posted on the FFF before this one about praying for someone - a forum member - when I saw a car with a license plate from the same state where he lived.  I was almost ridiculed by some (not all) other posters for doing that. 

However, as I drive around town, I notice a friend alongside me or in a lane or stop signal opposite, I still breathe a prayer for them, or sometimes just when I see a car like a friend's car with strangers in it, I pray for that friend.  I believe God brings those folks to my mind - not only to THINK of them, but to PRAY for them.

To go on with this theme, a very convicting statement once made about prayer by my pastor was, "Praying for someone is not just thinking about that person or keeping them in your thoughts."  I found that very helpful in reminding me to PRAY - actually ask God to bless that friend, keep him safe, healthy, etc., when his name comes to mind. 

patriotic said:
fishinnut said:

I also have reminders like you mentioned that trigger thoughts of someone, which often leads to prayer.

Sometimes on Mondays...instead of Wednesdays.  :)

Teri in NC said:
patriotic said:
fishinnut said:

I also have reminders like you mentioned that trigger thoughts of someone, which often leads to prayer.

Yet, our heavenly Father hears regardless of our mixing up the days.

patriotic said:
Teri in NC said:
patriotic said:
fishinnut said:

Yet, our heavenly Father hears regardless of our mixing up the days.

The Holy Spirit translates with we mean so it is always right even when we mess up.

bgwilkinson said:
The Holy Spirit translates with we mean so it is always right even when we mess up.

Are you into that case of vintage Binaca again?

Thus is one of many of my favorites concerning prayer.

1 John 2:1-2

My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: and he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but for the sins of the whole world.

Thanks be to the Lord Jesus Christ that we have a backup in prayer and petitioning!

This is another great reason to get to know Him. Jesus is more that our fire escape from the punishment established for our sin!

I have hesitated to post on this thread even weighing in my heart what I could share. The scriptures I find in the Bible that are prayers themselves speak volumes to my heart and impact my prayer life. 

Nehemiah - for the Jews to return to their land (Nehemiah 1:4-11) Now it came about when I heard these words, I sat down and wept and mourned for days; and I was fasting and praying before the God of heaven. And I said, "I beseech Thee, O Lord God of heaven, the great and awesome God, who preserves the covenant and lovingkindness for those who love Him and keep His commandments, let Thine ear now be attentive and Thine eyes open to hear the prayer of Thy servant which I am praying before Thee now, day and night, on behalf of the sons of Israel Thy servants, confessing the sins of the sons of Israel which we have sinned against Thee; I and my father's house have sinned.

Paul - Paul - for the Ephesians (Ephesians 3:14-21) For this reason, I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man; so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen.

I once preached this as "My Prayer for Our Church." I hope it helped the people.

fishinnut said:

Someone has set this verse to music, and the song is beautiful. Mandy and I sing it in church occasionally.

Tom Brennan said:
fishinnut said:

Someone has set this verse to music, and the song is beautiful. Mandy and I sing it in church occasionally.

What??? No video recording of your singing together with your wife????? 

We want one!  :)