Preaching Embellishments at College

Do you think the believers at Jerusalem had any issues with Philips Ethiopian Eunuch story?  :) 

RAIDER said:
Mathew Ward said:
RAIDER said:
Binaca Chugger said:
RAIDER said:
Bruh said:
RAIDER said:
Dr. Hyles had some great stories.  I can't say that I know any of them were embellished or not.

LOL! Come on Radiar.

Can you give me an example that you know was embellished?

Every soul winning numbers total.

We speculate with no proof.

And Dave is innocent :)

No, there is proof there.

Not according to Jack if you didn't see it it  didn't happen or maybe we should just take Jack's word about Dave ;)

Mathew Ward said:
RAIDER said:
Mathew Ward said:
RAIDER said:
Binaca Chugger said:
RAIDER said:
Bruh said:
RAIDER said:
Dr. Hyles had some great stories.  I can't say that I know any of them were embellished or not.

LOL! Come on Radiar.

And Dave is innocent :)

No, there is proof there.

Not according to Jack if you didn't see it it  didn't happen or maybe we should just take Jack's word about Dave ;)

No, we've got proof on this one.

My personal favorite:

"I was crying uncontrollably." 

Uncontrollably?  Really?

"While I was preaching on sin, I began to cry uncontrollably." 

Ummmm....no...I don't think so. 

I don't remember who it was... Now that I'm thinking of the "story" I'm 99% sure it was David Gibbs...
He said he was supposed to be on a diet of some sort and was drivinv through Texas and got a pack of twinkies, which he said he knew he should have.. blah blah blah... Well he bit into it and it was all green and maggot infested, so he spit it out and threw it with other trash out the window. Well when he threw it out it snagged on his wedding ring and pulled it off... I can believe all of this it's this next 1/2 is where I was like really... Are you just making this up or retelling a joke like it was a real life story. So he continues that he stopped his car and was out looking for it on the side of the road and there was tall grass ect all over it, as he's searching a truck driver pulls over and asks what is he doing, and just stands there watching. After a bit he asked the trucker what he was doing there which the trucker said "Getting ready to watch you die... this whole area is infested with rattlesnakes", right after he said that he said it was like a switch rattles started going off all around him. I think he said there was some running and snakebites avoided (as in he saw them trying to bite him). It ended with him calling a fried with a weed whacker and metal detector and he found the ring.

I found that to be hard to believe.

Techmedic said:
I don't remember who it was... Now that I'm thinking of the "story" I'm 99% sure it was David Gibbs...
He said he was supposed to be on a diet of some sort and was drivinv through Texas and got a pack of twinkies, which he said he knew he should have.. blah blah blah... Well he bit into it and it was all green and maggot infested, so he spit it out and threw it with other trash out the window. Well when he threw it out it snagged on his wedding ring and pulled it off... I can believe all of this it's this next 1/2 is where I was like really... Are you just making this up or retelling a joke like it was a real life story. So he continues that he stopped his car and was out looking for it on the side of the road and there was tall grass ect all over it, as he's searching a truck driver pulls over and asks what is he doing, and just stands there watching. After a bit he asked the trucker what he was doing there which the trucker said "Getting ready to watch you die... this whole area is infested with rattlesnakes", right after he said that he said it was like a switch rattles started going off all around him. I think he said there was some running and snakebites avoided (as in he saw them trying to bite him). It ended with him calling a fried with a weed whacker and metal detector and he found the ring.

The hardest part to believe was the Twinkies being green and maggot infested.  :)

RAIDER said:
Techmedic said:

The hardest part to believe was the Twinkies being green and maggot infested.  :)

You speculate with no proof.

Bruh said:
RAIDER said:
Techmedic said:

You speculate with no proof.

I was jesting.  :)

RAIDER said:
Binaca Chugger said:
RAIDER said:
Bruh said:
RAIDER said:

LOL! Come on Radiar.

you want a list of every person that stretched the truth?  I can give you several, the internet isn't big enough for all the names.  Not speculation.

How about this: EddyL would total the numbers of the teen marathon at night.  We would leave.  On Sunday, the number was always rounded up.  Always.

I find it amazing that both JS and David Gibbs had a horse when they were kids. They both were in charge of cleaning out the stable. They both put fresh straw over the excrement they were to shovel out. They both watched the floor get closer to the ceiling. When found out they both had to chip away at the solidified build up. Not saying that I doubt this, bit I have heard both of them tell the same story.

Baptist City Holdout said:
I find it amazing that both JS and David Gibbs had a horse when they were kids. They both were in charge of cleaning out the stable. They both put fresh straw over the excrement they were to shovel out. They both watched the floor get closer to the ceiling. When found out they both had to chip away at the solidified build up. Not saying that I doubt this, bit I have heard both of them tell the same story.

I don't recall this exact story by either of those two, but I have been privileged to hear a long list of preachers. I have also been around long enough in my 29 years to have heard more than one tell a "true, personal story" that was, for all practical purposes, exactly like another's " true, personal illustration".

It's sad that people who are supposedly called to proclaim Truth are so comfortable with lying.

rsc2a said:
It's sad that people who are supposedly called to proclaim Truth are so comfortable with lying.

If they didn't try to one up each other would anyone still be interested in listening to boring Bible instruction? {sarcasm off} :D :D

bgwilkinson said:
rsc2a said:

If they didn't try to one up each other would anyone still be interested in listening to boring Bible instruction? {sarcasm off} :D :D

"Rather than showing you how glorious Jesus is, let me try to impress you with old wives' tales."

Binaca Chugger said:
RAIDER said:
Binaca Chugger said:
RAIDER said:
Bruh said:
RAIDER said:

LOL! Come on Radiar.

you want a list of every person that stretched the truth?  I can give you several, the internet isn't big enough for all the names.  Not speculation.

How about this: EddyL would total the numbers of the teen marathon at night.  We would leave.  On Sunday, the number was always rounded up.  Always.

I don't think you understand how the Internet works...  :eek:

RAIDER said:
Techmedic said:

I think the embellishment was him throwing Twinkies out the window.

That's almost like RY saying he forgot to eat.

Teri in NC said:
RAIDER said:
Techmedic said:

I think the embellishment was him throwing Twinkies out the window.

That's almost like RY saying he forgot to eat.

As much as he likes food a few maggots and a little fungi wouldn't  stop him.

After all maggots would be fresh meat and fungi would be equivalent to sauteed mushrooms.

I heard Jack Hyles say more than a few times that every church in America had their eyes on fbch and the way fbch went was the way America would go.

Several times I heard speakers say that others who travel around 'America' say that the only glimpse of revival and life was hac and a few of its graduates.

Now after years and years I have found out that even most of Lake County Indiana does not and never did have their eyes on fbch, don't know where it is, know nothing about it except for gossip, and know nothing of jh and have never heard him preach.