Preaching Gospel Messages EVERY SERVICE?!

Lighthouse

Elect
Reaction score
I realize that the gospel is the greatest story ever told, but is it wrong to loathe going to church and hear it 4 times a week?
Last Sunday School: Going through the ABC of Christian growth- Obedience (after salvation became at salvation)
Sunday AM: Salvation
Sunday PM: Parable Of The Pearl Of Great Price
Midweek: Jeremiah 36-37 = Salvation
Sunday School: still in the growth book....still on Obedience....still about how to obey the gospel and get saved
Sunday AM: a mind boggling unstudied rant about the end times...tripping over himself in him stating what position he held....and then (from what I gathered was an outline from a commentary) opposing himself
and his position as he declared why everyone else's view of the 2nd coming is wrong....Ending up in a Salvation Message.
Sunday PM: Parable of the Net (Matthew 13:47-50 which resulted in a salvation message. Funny thing, it totally opposed the stance he claimed to hold to earlier that day.

I want to pull him aside and just share with him from experience but I dont think its going to help.

My guess is that you speaking to him would just make you a target that he will use in his next rant about people in the church that hate the Gospel and are the antichrist.  Many years ago I was on staff with a Pastor who always preached an evangelistic message...I told him that he was preaching to the choir in our small church and that our people needed to be fed, time to move on to the meat.  Needless to say it did not go over well...he would not change his approach...so I soon moved on.  Evangelism needs to be done, but for the most part the gathering at the church is for the equipping of the saints.

Lighthouse said:
I realize that the gospel is the greatest story ever told, but is it wrong to loathe going to church and hear it 4 times a week?
Last Sunday School: Going through the ABC of Christian growth- Obedience (after salvation became at salvation)
Sunday AM: Salvation
Sunday PM: Parable Of The Pearl Of Great Price
Midweek: Jeremiah 36-37 = Salvation
Sunday School: still in the growth book....still on Obedience....still about how to obey the gospel and get saved
Sunday AM: a mind boggling unstudied rant about the end times...tripping over himself in him stating what position he held....and then (from what I gathered was an outline from a commentary) opposing himself
and his position as he declared why everyone else's view of the 2nd coming is wrong....Ending up in a Salvation Message.
Sunday PM: Parable of the Net (Matthew 13:47-50 which resulted in a salvation message. Funny thing, it totally opposed the stance he claimed to hold to earlier that day.

I want to pull him aside and just share with him from experience but I dont think its going to help.

You can fix some of this by not having services 4 times a week. :)

I have nothing against a salvation offering every service but to solely focus in the beginning of our journey doesn't help with some of the problems we face. The writer of Hebrews said this....

Heb 6:1  Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
Heb 6:2  Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
Heb 6:3  And this will we do, if God permit.

Exactly T-Bone and Praise, that is spot on. I have personally been told NOT to attempt to have new convert Bible studies or discipleship studies with some of the new people who would benefit greatly because that is the Pastor's job. I told him according to scripture, the great commission was for every believer not the pastor. He began "marking off his territory" as it were. I put my hands up and said "okay okay...but I should also tell you that as of today, I am backing out of "giving the gospel to every creature" as well.

T-Bone, are you near Pheonix?

While there is value in preaching the Gospel at an assembly in order to clear up possible misconceptions, it's misses the real purpose of the assembly.  We meet together for mutual edification, the building up of the saints, etc.  Preaching the gospel/salvation message is (for the most part) for unbelievers, not an assembly of believers.  If you have to reach so many people in your assembly with the Gospel over and over again, then there's something wrong with your assembly. 

Lighthouse said:
Exactly T-Bone and Praise, that is spot on. I have personally been told NOT to attempt to have new convert Bible studies or discipleship studies with some of the new people who would benefit greatly because that is the Pastor's job. I told him according to scripture, the great commission was for every believer not the pastor. He began "marking off his territory" as it were. I put my hands up and said "okay okay...but I should also tell you that as of today, I am backing out of "giving the gospel to every creature" as well.

T-Bone, are you near Pheonix?

Any Pastor who believes it is solely his job to disciple new believers is not being biblical...we are all to be about making disciples.  I am just outside of Phoenix in a community called Fountain Hills.

The Gospel is my answer for not just salvation, but also sanctification.  It is the foundation upon which my faith is built, the roof for shelter in storms and the fence for safety from enemies.  I would highly recommended reading The Gospel Primer.  This new understanding of the Gospel helped bring me out of performance based Christianity.

That said, not every sermon should be completely evangelistic.  There are other purposes to Bible preaching.

The Rogue Tomato said:
While there is value in preaching the Gospel at an assembly in order to clear up possible misconceptions, it's misses the real purpose of the assembly.  We meet together for mutual edification, the building up of the saints, etc.  Preaching the gospel/salvation message is (for the most part) for unbelievers, not an assembly of believers.  If you have to reach so many people in your assembly with the Gospel over and over again, then there's something wrong with your assembly.

Well said!!

The gospel of Jesus should unquestioningly be at the absolute center of any teaching to a Christian, from the absolute baby requiring pure milk to the veteran who is thriving on meat.

Of course, the gospel of Jesus is infinitely more than "Get Jesus so you don't end up in Hell."

rsc2a said:
The gospel of Jesus should unquestioningly be at the absolute center of any teaching to a Christian, from the absolute baby requiring pure milk to the veteran who is thriving on meat.

Of course, the gospel of Jesus is infinitely more than "Get Jesus so you don't end up in Hell."
I totally agree.

The Rogue Tomato said:
You rock in this thread !  ;D

Binaca Chugger said:
rsc2a said:

I totally agree.

The "Gospel" message is more than just evangelism. It encompasses the entire scope of God's revelation to man. There really isn't any separating the "Gospel" message and the "discipleship" message. However, the OP is correct. I posted the words the writer of Hebrew wrote over a thousands years ago. I'm sure.... they had the same problem the OP points out. There are things to "move" onto. You can't argue with the Scriptures. Well.... you can..... but it won't do you any good.