Present church culture

Anchor

Elect
Reaction score
Saw an ad for the upcoming new late night comedy show starring Pete Holmes, of whom I know nothing about.  However, his schtick was something like "I may look like a youth pastor, but...".  I found it intriguing that what promises to be a routinely decadent, debauched late night comedy show would identify in such a way.  So I did a Google search and found the following clip:

http://www.comedycentral.com/video-clips/063u7p/stand-up-pete-holmes--youth-pastor

Does this say anything about the way our modern church culture is perceived by the degenerate masses?

If so, is this the perception that is being intentionally set forward, a sad by-product of what just is, or a matter that needs to be addressed for the sacred name of Christ and His church and for the furtherance of the kingdom?

Thoughts?

My thoughts....

The dude IS not funny based on that one clip.

The joke of being a youth pastor seemed of little context to any particular kind of church or in the context of being humorous IMO.

Has no more relevancy about youth pastors than Hispanics being named "Juan".

No greater meaning to get stirred up about IMO.

I have no doubt that the quest for "relevance" in church culture has created an irrelevant church that gives the world much to mock.  I don't think the world really cares to have a cheap imitation of itself.

That being said, I really wouldn't have gotten that just from that video.  He made three quips that could be tied to youth ministers:
1) They are really nice guys.
2) They play guitars.
3) They ask for testimonies.

None of those things are necessarily bad or a part of what's wrong with hipster church culture.

pastorryanhayden said:
I have no doubt that the quest for "relevance" in church culture has created an irrelevant church that gives the world much to mock.  I don't think the world really cares to have a cheap imitation of itself.

That being said, I really wouldn't have gotten that just from that video.  He made three quips that could be tied to youth ministers:
1) They are really nice guys.
2) They play guitars.
3) They ask for testimonies.

None of those things are necessarily bad or a part of what's wrong with hipster church culture.

His reference to the rainbow strap almost made me smile.  His testes joke was supposed to be funny, but it wasn't.

aleshanee said:
i agree with just john..... i didn;t think anything he said was funny..... :-\.....  it;s obvious he;s his own biggest fan because he laughed harder at his jokes than anyone else did.....he even got choked up laughing at himself....

if guys like him are drawing an audience...  and what he;s doing is the future of stand up comedy....then people out there looking for entertainment must be really bored.......  :-\

The existence of this forum is proof if that.

I just watched his commercial and was bored. Don't want to see a show with him. What ever happened to shows like Red Skelton? Carol Burnett? (miss Tim Conway)

BALAAM said:
I just watched his commercial and was bored. Don't want to see a show with him. What ever happened to shows like Red Skelton? Carol Burnett? (miss Tim Conway)

Red Skelton died in 1997.  I don't think he'll be making any more shows, although you never know, what with the popularity of zombie shows.

aleshanee said:
BALAAM said:

never saw her show.... but carol burnett lives here in a mansion on kupikipikio .. right next to jim nabors just above the surf break known as black point.... never saw his show either but i did see reruns of gomer pyle and we used to see him all the time walking through waikiki and around kapiolani park.. ... i don;t think i ever saw carol burnett in public.... if i did i didn;t recognize her .... she has probably seen us though because we sometimes surf black point as well as kaikoo and mahoneys in clear view of the water front mansions at black point.....

Must you add a "I live in paradise and you don't -nanananana" into every topic??

Just kidding, I enjoy reading them.  Keep it up.

My family really enjoyed the Carol Burnett Show.  It was one of the shows that we watched as a family and rarely missed.  Tim Conway was a hoot!  Unfortunately, I don't think this style of program would be popular today. 

That's a shame, truth be told.