Principal doesn't pray for his graduates.

From what I can tell, Lowery was within his Constitutional rights to do and say what he did. He didn't force prayer on anyone and he has the freedom to proclaim his belief. Last week we had a Christian come in as a guest speaker for my daughter's Senior Banquet at a public school. He clearly announced his belief in Jesus Christ. He didn't direct it toward anybody nor use his message to influence but he stated what he believed. The assistant principal followed up with a brief statement that she also was a Christian.

Some of the parents there were uncomfortable but I'm glad these two said what they did. Kudos for this principal for taking his freedom of speech and using it.

I think if the athiests didn't create this kind of hoopla, it probably wouldn't have gone viral. Kinda glad they did as it bit them in the end. :)

Smellin Coffee said:
From what I can tell, Lowery was within his Constitutional rights to do and say what he did. He didn't force prayer on anyone and he has the freedom to proclaim his belief. Last week we had a Christian come in as a guest speaker for my daughter's Senior Banquet at a public school. He clearly announced his belief in Jesus Christ. He didn't direct it toward anybody nor use his message to influence but he stated what he believed. The assistant principal followed up with a brief statement that she also was a Christian.

Some of the parents there were uncomfortable but I'm glad these two said what they did. Kudos for this principal for taking his freedom of speech and using it.

I think if the atheists didn't create this kind of hoopla, it probably wouldn't have gone viral. Kinda glad they did as it bit them in the end. :)

Seems a clear-enough violation of the First Amendment to me, in some respects worse than normal because of the underhand way in which it was done. In fact, Lowery has now apologised for his behaviour.

Kevin Lowery said:
I sincerely apologize if any comments made in my speech offended anyone in the audience and our community, especially any of our students, and will strive to not let this happen again. Our district endeavors to fully comply with the laws and Constitution of the United States, and to provide quality education to all of our students. I wish each and everyone of the 332 fine young men and women who graduated that night the best in all of their endeavors.

As apologies go, it's a bit of a Falwell, although Lowery implicitly is admitting that his action is unconstitutional.

Now if Lowery had been an atheist and chosen to promulgate his atheistic views at the graduation, I would have considered that to be equally unconstitutional. Perhaps you disagree?

Headbutter of the Gods said:
Smellin Coffee said:

I think if the atheists didn't create this kind of hoopla, it probably wouldn't have gone viral. Kinda glad they did as it bit them in the end. :)

Seems a clear-enough violation of the First Amendment to me, in some respects worse than normal because of the underhand way in which it was done. In fact, Lowery has now apologised for his behaviour.

Kevin Lowery said:
I sincerely apologize if any comments made in my speech offended anyone in the audience and our community, especially any of our students, and will strive to not let this happen again. Our district endeavors to fully comply with the laws and Constitution of the United States, and to provide quality education to all of our students. I wish each and everyone of the 332 fine young men and women who graduated that night the best in all of their endeavors.

As apologies go, it's a bit of a Falwell, although Lowery implicitly is admitting that his action is unconstitutional.

Now if Lowery had been an atheist and chosen to promulgate his atheistic views at the graduation, I would have considered that to be equally unconstitutional. Perhaps you disagree?

There is a very fine line. Not having been there I can't say that he crossed it or didn't cross it. By what the article stated, he put his foot on it but not over it.

My wife and I started a non-profit organization to teach Bible classes in a local public school. Yes, a class that is recognized by our state as a History elective and students are given a school credit. I am very aware of what can and cannot be said in a public school concerning religion. Is it underhanded? Maybe, but despite many restrictions, it is Constitutional.

http://www.wral.com/bill-would-create-bible-study-elective-for-high-schools/12155972/

If Lowery had been an atheist and espoused those views publicly, I would have no problems with that as long as he wasn't trying to convert anyone to his atheism. When I lived in another state, my son's 6th grade teacher made it VERY clear he was an atheist. We spoke to him about our Christian faith and though we agreed to disagree, we didn't have a problem with it because even though he espoused his beliefs, he stated them as such and didn't push the kids to atheism. There was never an issue on our end. :)

If you need any evidence that atheists are morons, they think "Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion" means "school principals shall not mention God to students."

What I read of the principal it was more of a non apology.