Private prayer language

I got some hits from "Mark Anderson, Ashland Christian Fellowship" so I guess this is where he is or was anyway?

https://fb.watch/idNkPKVgNo/
Right... that sounds correct.

Ok... I looked up Ashland Christian Fellowship. It is clearly not a CC affiliated church. The current pastor is Cody Smith. The link you posted has Mark Anderson on a video dated July 2020. All subsequent videos are Cody or someone else.

The website is similar in style and layout to that of another church in the area that I looked up when trying to find Mark. Apparently, Mark retired or went to another church in the last 2.5 years.

Last edited:
Wow. There's a name from the past...

No, I didn't. The Rogue Valley is the opposite corner of Oregon from where I was. I know they came out of Jon Courson's church. Margi was quite disillusioned by Jon's leadership style. While he had some sound teaching, I was still a bit leery of him. The way he "cleaned house" with Margi's husband and other staff members kind of confirmed my leeriness of him.

I cannot remember his name but both him and Marji struck me as the real deal. Last I remember of them, they were dealing with their daughter's passing from cancer. I hope and pray they are still serving the Lord wherever they are. Wasn't his name Mark? I think it was. You have caused many memories to come flooding back!

Well said about Marji being "the real deal", she is one of the people on the old FFF who always spoke with Christ-like comportment no matter how ugly and into mud the conversations got.

Do the Calvary Chapels still emphasize date-setting prophetic speculation, like Chuck Smith used to do, or have they moved on from all that? In 1978 Smith wrote, "I believe that the generation of 1948 is the last generation. Since a generation of judgment is forty years and the Tribulation period lasts seven years, I believe the Lord could come back for His Church any time before the Tribulation starts, which would mean any time before 1981. (1948 + 40 – 7 = 1981).”

As of 2012 Smith was still making predictions, but he was no longer so definite on the date-setting: “We’re on the verge of, it looks like, a war in the Middle East that could expand into a global conflict of nuclear proportions. The economy is tanking. Many nations are on the verge of bankruptcy and our own nation is so many trillions of dollars in debt. It’s just amazing. . . . How can you make, you say, all these dire predictions with a smile on your face? Well, because the outlook for the Church is very bright. We’re almost there and I know how this story ends and that it’s always comforting when you know that it ends and ‘they all lived happily ever after.’”

In other words, the bad news is good news because it means the Rapture is near.

Do the Calvary Chapels still emphasize date-setting prophetic speculation, like Chuck Smith used to do, or have they moved on from all that? In 1978 Smith wrote, "I believe that the generation of 1948 is the last generation. Since a generation of judgment is forty years and the Tribulation period lasts seven years, I believe the Lord could come back for His Church any time before the Tribulation starts, which would mean any time before 1981. (1948 + 40 – 7 = 1981).”

As of 2012 Smith was still making predictions, but he was no longer so definite on the date-setting: “We’re on the verge of, it looks like, a war in the Middle East that could expand into a global conflict of nuclear proportions. The economy is tanking. Many nations are on the verge of bankruptcy and our own nation is so many trillions of dollars in debt. It’s just amazing. . . . How can you make, you say, all these dire predictions with a smile on your face? Well, because the outlook for the Church is very bright. We’re almost there and I know how this story ends and that it’s always comforting when you know that it ends and ‘they all lived happily ever after.’”

In my time with CC, I've never heard of this until recently.

Of course, if he was date setting, he was wrong. The teaching I've heard from both CC and Baptists is Christ's return is imminent. Could be today, could be further down the road. Everything the Word has said would be in place is in place for Him to come after His Church. In no sermon I've heard has anyone defined what the "last generation" is. There is general agreement that 1948 does mark a point of fulfillment of prophesy but it is erroneous to say Christ is coming after His Church by such and such a date. Again, what I am citing is taught in Baptist and CC circles.

BTW, I have no problems with his 2012 quote. We are to live in anticipation of His soon coming. The first century church certainly did. Such anticipation leads to holy living. I'd rather be accused of saying "The end is near!" rather than, "Where is the promise of His coming?"

Last edited:
In my time with CC, I've never heard of this until recently.

Of course, if he was date setting, he was wrong. The teaching I've heard from both CC and Baptists is Christ's return is imminent. Could be today, could be further down the road. Everything the Word has said would be in place is in place for Him to come after His Church. In no sermon I've heard has anyone defined what the "last generation" is. There is general agreement that 1948 does mark a point of fulfillment of prophesy but it is erroneous to say Christ is coming after His Church by such and such a date. Again, what I am citing is taught in Baptist and CC circles.

BTW, I have no problems with his 2012 quote. We are to live in anticipation of His soon coming. The first century church certainly did. Such anticipation leads to holy living. I'd rather be accused of saying "The end is near!" rather than, "Where is the promise of His coming?"
I believe the "Parable of the fig Tree" is key to something (of what, I am not certain) but how is this to be applied? Some say when Israel once again became a sovereign nation in 1948 while others say after they captured Jerusalem in 1967. Fact of the matter is, Israelis (Jews) are a largely secular people and the scriptures in Ezekiel speak of Israel being regenerated and having their heart of stone replaced with a heart of flesh so is this the point at which the fig tree brings forth its leaves and shows sign of life?

But yeah, everything was pretty crazy back in the 1970s and this was pretty much all you heard about from all the "Jesus People" and Hal Lindsey's book was flying off the shelves. Very special time for me though because in 1981, I heard the message of the Gospel from one of these "Jesus Freaks" who was also telling me that Christ's return was imminent. I still believe in the imminence of Christ's return as did Christ's apostles!

Yes, BR, I've heard what you have. I was saved in 1981 and it was 1983 before I began getting into the Word. I'd always heard the religious nuts talking about end times but never paid attention to it. My first solid exposure to end times teaching was a sermon by Adrian Rogers, "As in the days of Noah..." I've been living in anticipation since then. I've formed various opinions about the signs of the times but always relegated them to sanctified speculation.

I got some hits from "Mark Anderson, Ashland Christian Fellowship" so I guess this is where he is or was anyway?

https://fb.watch/idNkPKVgNo/
Ok... here's a link to a podcast from a couple years ago...

It's LONG; I thought I'd never watch the whole thing but it was so engaging I did.

Now I understand why Marji ended up on the FFF.

Somehow I thought Mark was on staff at Applegate. My memory did not serve me correctly.

The example you cited isn't so much a Pentecostal thing as it is a Dispensational Pre-Millennialism thing.

Ok... here's a link to a podcast from a couple years ago...

It's LONG; I thought I'd never watch the whole thing but it was so engaging I did.

Now I understand why Marji ended up on the FFF.

Somehow I thought Mark was on staff at Applegate. My memory did not serve me correctly.
"Take the temperature of your wife"

I would add, if your wife is a virtuous woman.

His wife certainly is.
So is mine.

If a man begins to question his wife's choices, he needs to remember he was one of them.
I don't often question my wife's decisions since I AM one of them.