Proper use of the American flag at church

Mr. White

Elect
Reaction score
I am interested in hearing your opinion concerning the use of the American flag at church. Personally, I have become more and more convicted by its use at my church, and am curious if others see it as a worthy issue.
My church currently displays both the American and Christian flag, with the Christian flag flown under the American flag. My thoughts are, as apart of the kingdom of God, the American flag has no business being flown on church property, and definitely not above the Christian flag.

I don't have an issue with the American flag being flown on church property, but I don't feel it should be on the platform, in constant view of people who are worshiping.

I have more problems with people pledging allegiance to it (or even the Christian flag) as our allegiance should be to Christ and Americanism is anti-God, IMHO.

Smellin Coffee said:
I don't have an issue with the American flag being flown on church property, but I don't feel it should be on the platform, in constant view of people who are worshiping.
I have more problems with people pledging allegiance to it (or even the Christian flag) as our allegiance should be to Christ and Americanism is anti-God, IMHO.
Because etiquette requires the American flag be the top flag on any flag pole I personally would not fly the Christian flag outside. This is not because I'm not proud of the Christian flag and what it represents I just would not want it to be displayed in a less prominent position. We have both flags displayed equally on each side of the platform, but do not do the pledges for any regular services. I thinks this reflects the biblical balance of being both a citizens & christian. 

Remember we are to render unto Caesar that which is Caesars. We have much to be thankful for and up to the point that it conflicts with the Bible I am very loyal to the United States and thank God every single day he allowed me to be born here. If you?re un-thankful for the country in which you live there are 195 other choices.

I believe you can be a loyal, patriotic American and still be true to your first calling as a Christian. I don't think there is any question where our first loyalty should be. Unlike Rome we have the privilege of electing our leaders and lobbing them to make good choices. I believe to be good steward of this right requires us to do our part to influence Washington. If every christian would make their voice heard we could effect the direction of our nation. 

Smellin Coffee said:

I actually (gulp) agree with Smellin' on this.

(Excuse me, I need more meds)

sword said:
I believe you can be a loyal, patriotic American and still be true to your first calling as a Christian. I don't think there is any question where our first loyalty should be. Unlike Rome we have the privilege of electing our leaders and lobbing them to make good choices. I believe to be good steward of this right requires us to do our part to influence Washington. If every christian would make their voice heard we could effect the direction of our nation. 

I do agree with you. I believe there is a difference between pledging allegiance to a country and loyalty to that country. Being loyal might mean standing against the wrong within that country because it is still in the best interest of that country. And ultimately if our allegiance is to a country not of this world, we should look at this country in a secondary manner. An ambassador can respect the country in which he lives, be loyal to its culture yet not be allegiant to it.

I think it's alright too have one on the property, but the American flag is meant to unite Americans. When you have visitors from outside the country, that sort of unity isn't there, as we all unite under Christ.

Tatterdemalion said:
I think it's alright too have one on the property, but the American flag is meant to unite Americans. When you have visitors from outside the country, that sort of unity isn't there, as we all unite under Christ.
Other than Missionaries, do you get a lot of visitors from other countries.

I know some churches from New York, California & Florida who do get a lot of foreign visitors, but it is very unusual for us. They are always welcome, it is just rare that we have them.

sword said:
Tatterdemalion said:
Other than Missionaries, do you get a lot of visitors from other countries.

I know some churches from New York, California & Florida who do get a lot of foreign visitors, but it is very unusual for us. They are always welcome, it is just rare that we have them.

They come by somewhat frequently, usually Canadian believers traveling through or coming to speak for a single service or series of services.