Protest Sunday at FBC

When your under lawsuit, under no circumstances are you to meet with the plantif without your lawyers and theirs for that matter.

She came armed with a camera crew. No top exective of any company, organization or church would have taken that meeting.

At this point there was no use to meet with her. What were they suppose to do or say, its been 50 years.

Not implying FBCH has handled this situation correctly in the past, but at this point what is Wilkerson suppose to do.

The answer is for the police to be called every time there is credible suspicion or an accusation. Cooperate fully and let law enforcment do their job.
Was there a lawsuit at this time? This may have been a great opportunity for FBCH to avoid one! They saw to it with their response.

This is the fundamental problem with FBCH and many other IFBx ministries! When a problem arises, they "Lawyer Up" and "Circle the Wagons" in an effort to protect the 501c3 entity and if they have to throw those who are truly THE CHURCH under the bus, so be it!

If there was an active lawsuit, they could kindly remind Nanette that they would be unable to meet without lawyers present and they could've communicated this via phone communication before she ever set foot on the property.

Was there a lawsuit at this time? This may have been a great opportunity for FBCH to avoid one! They saw to it with their response.

This is the fundamental problem with FBCH and many other IFBx ministries! When a problem arises, they "Lawyer Up" and "Circle the Wagons" in an effort to protect the 501c3 entity and if they have to throw those who are truly THE CHURCH under the bus, so be it!

If there was an active lawsuit, they could kindly remind Nanette that they would be unable to meet without lawyers present and they could've communicated this via phone communication before she ever set foot on the property.
We don't know how many phone conversations had already happened before she showed up with a film crew for the tv documentary.

There was nothing to gain from meeting with her and giving her footage for a TV expose.

We don't know how many phone conversations had already happened before she showed up with a film crew for the tv documentary.

There was nothing to gain from meeting with her and giving her footage for a TV expose.
With the right response, FBCH could've taken the wind right out of the sails of the "Let us Prey" crew and if they (the documentary) kept their transparency, they would have to concede that things may be changing and perhaps the new regime is trying to make things right. I think this is all that Nanette wanted! Pastor Wilkerson could've given them a statement not much different from what he made before the protest.

Now if the audio of the interaction were doctored or made up (plausible scenario) in order to make FBCH look bad, they are well in their right to sue for defamation and I would take FBCH's side regarding this! I have listened to several episodes of the "Preacher Boys" podcast and I am led to believe that Eric Skwarczynski is more anti-abuse than he is anti-IFB as shown that he is quite gracious towards IFB pastors who are on his podcast and who are on the same page with him regarding the ending of abuse in their ranks! I therefore do not believe that they were intentionally trying to make the IFB look bad. The IFB (those represented) did so all on their own.

With the right response, FBCH could've taken the wind right out of the sails of the "Let us Prey" crew and if they (the documentary) kept their transparency, they would have to concede that things may be changing and perhaps the new regime is trying to make things right. I think this is all that Nanette wanted! Pastor Wilkerson could've given them a statement not much different from what he made before the protest.

Now if the audio of the interaction were doctored or made up (plausible scenario) in order to make FBCH look bad, they are well in their right to sue for defamation and I would take FBCH's side regarding this! I have listened to several episodes of the "Preacher Boys" podcast and I am led to believe that Eric Skwarczynski is more anti-abuse than he is anti-IFB as shown that he is quite gracious towards IFB pastors who are on his podcast and who are on the same page with him regarding the ending of abuse in their ranks! I therefore do not believe that they were intentionally trying to make the IFB look bad. The IFB (those represented) did so all on their own.
So you think they showed up with cameras and a film crew to give FBC Hammond a chance to look good for the documentary? Lets go film FBCH doing the right thing to counter everything we plan to air to the public. Let weaken our whole narrative with some film footage?

So you think they showed up with cameras and a film crew to give FBC Hammond a chance to look good for the documentary? Lets go film FBCH doing the right thing to counter everything we plan to air to the public. Let weaken our whole narrative with some film footage?
Regardless of the intentions of the documentary crew, FBCH could have responded better but instead played right into their hand - if such was their intention (to make FBCH look bad).

I would have politly said our Pastor meets with people by appointment only, here is his secretaries phone number. I would have said she would be glad to talk with you about scheduling an appointment. They could have said it politly and kindly and wished them all a great day.

I suspect if Bro. Wilkerson was the one who spoke to them that is exactly what he would have said. My understanding is he always has a good temperment and is kind to everyone but I could be wrong.

I can't imagine taking the helm of an institution in the wake such a scandal.

Agree with most of the posts here. We watched the "Let Us Prey" show. I watched Wilkerson's statement.

I am very happy with Wilkerson's statement. He acknowledges that people have been hurt (easy to do now that Schaap went to prison), but does not implicate the church further by stating which scenarios or name names. He stands with victims. He hates abuse. He points out that people who have been hurt should call the police, not the church. But, if you do call the church, we will direct you towards the police. It really is a smart response. He makes the statement that he cannot speak about the 130 years of history (smart to go all the way back, instead of just back to Davie-boy), but that this is our position going forward.

All the people who really want an acknowledgement of guilt and a statement that the church is going in a new direction, just got it. There is no way they can really give any more of a statement than what they just received.

In regards to the crowd wanting to have an open forum on a sidewalk... that is absolutely impossible. He did a good job telling the people to call for a meeting.

In regards to the lady on the show walking in to the church with cameras... of course she is going to be told to leave and this was the whole purpose of her walking in because it makes good television to say "they kicked me out." Anyone who walks in without an appointment and with camera crew in tow is going to be sent away. Duh.

Wildomar is their own worst enemy. Goddard is goofy as can be. He chooses the absolute worst response to the whole situation every time. He took the teaching of loyalty and a leader's responsibility to lead and went WAY too far. But this is his own doing.

Proof that the "Preacher Boy Podcast" guy is atheist?

I know he is bitter and is grinding his own axes, but atheist?

I also liked the way that Wilkerson pointed out the number of people who have attended the church.

40 million people have come to the church.
25% of girls have been abused
16% of boys have been abused
30% of abuse takes place in a church (second to schools at 39%)
90% of abusers are trusted people

Statistically Speaking.....
If 1/2 of those 40 million are boys and the other girls...
1.5 million girls should have been abused at FBCH
.96 million boys should have been abused at FBCH

Understanding that 50 years ago, society as a whole did not know how to respond to allegations....

Speaking purely statistically, it is amazing we are talking about less than 100 cases and the show could only find 5 ladies to put on.

How big was the protest? 10 people like on the show at Wildomar?

It's still a great opportunity for churches and parents to re-enforce background checks for all childrens workers, to review and strengthen safety procedures & precautions and to talk to our children and grandchilren about abusive behaviour and what to watch for. They should know they can always come to parents and granparents whenever things they don't understand happen. Communication with our children and grandchildren is even more important than it has ever been.

One child who might be mistreated or abused is too many. Each of these cases should be examined and safeguards put in place around the country to prevent them from ever happening again in any ministry. I can only hope the threat of serious jail time would act as a deterrent in the future, but I have my doubts.