Proving Your Protestant beliefs using Scripture only

donnie

Elect
Reaction score
Was advised to move this to a new thread,  so here you go......

With all the talk about Catholic verses Protestant beliefs,  the argument from the Protestant side always comes down to  this catch phrase..."prove that with scripture".

When I asked the same catch phrase on one of the most important doctrines..."The Trinity",  seems not one could answer.  So I ask here...again.....

Do you have scriptural support for proving the Trinity Doctrine?  Please prove all of these attributes of this doctrine with scripture ONLY...

(1) ALL of it the Father is 100% God
(2) the Son is 100% God
(3) the Holy Spirit is 100% God
(4) All are co-equal
(5) All are co-powerful
(6) All are co-existing
(7) All are omniescient (IOWs exist inifitously and outside of time and space)
{8} That All live in All time and space

Prove that without using the Tradition of the early church fathers,  as a Catholic would do...........

donnie said:

"For on him God the Father has set his seal" (John 6:27).

"Jesus answered, 'If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say, "He is our God"'" (John 8:48)

Per the words of Jesus, the Father is God. QED.

(2) the Son is 100% God

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God" (John 1:1)

"To them belong the patriarchs, and from their race, according to the flesh, is the Christ, who is God over all, blessed forever. Amen" (Rom. 9:5).

"To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ" (2 Peter 1:1).

According to the apostles John, Paul, and Peter, Jesus Christ is God. QED.

"But Peter said, 'Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back for yourself part of the proceeds of the land? While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not at your disposal? Why is it that you have contrived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to man but to God'" (Acts 5:3-4)

Lying to the Holy Spirit is lying to  God. Hence the Holy Spirit is God. QED.

(4) All are co-equal
(5) All are co-powerful
(6) All are co-existing

4-8 are inferred by good and necessary consequence from 1-3. QED.

Next question?

It's kind of funny that his requested proof didn't even address Trinitarianism vs. polytheism, since that could be an implied solution that is still extremely heretical. :)

Ransom said:
donnie said:

"For on him God the Father has set his seal" (John 6:27).

"Jesus answered, 'If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say, "He is our God"'" (John 8:48)

Per the words of Jesus, the Father is God. QED.

(2) the Son is 100% God

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God" (John 1:1)

"To them belong the patriarchs, and from their race, according to the flesh, is the Christ, who is God over all, blessed forever. Amen" (Rom. 9:5).

"To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ" (2 Peter 1:1).

According to the apostles John, Paul, and Peter, Jesus Christ is God. QED.

"But Peter said, 'Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back for yourself part of the proceeds of the land? While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not at your disposal? Why is it that you have contrived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to man but to God'" (Acts 5:3-4)

Lying to the Holy Spirit is lying to  God. Hence the Holy Spirit is God. QED.

(4) All are co-equal
(5) All are co-powerful
(6) All are co-existing

4-8 are inferred by good and necessary consequence from 1-3. QED.

Next question?

These verses do not prove that all three are One.......use scripture to prove all three are one and don't extenuate by throwing a few verse around that have nothing to do with the trinity........

donnie said:
Prove that without using the Tradition of the early church fathers,  as a Catholic would do...........

How did the early church fathers prove it? 

donnie said:
These verses do not prove that all three are One.......use scripture to prove all three are one and don't extenuate by throwing a few verse around that have nothing to do with the trinity........

Ahem.

donnie said:
Do you have scriptural support for proving the Trinity Doctrine?  Please prove all of these attributes of this doctrine with scripture ONLY...

Those are your parameters. I proved all of those attributes. You don't get to move the goalposts by adding extra attributes.

You set a challenge, and it was met. You failed to stump the ignorant Prots. Too bad. Own it.

donnie said:

29 Or is God the God of Jews only? Is he not the God of Gentiles too? Yes, of Gentiles too, 30 since there is only one God

So if the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God, and there is only one God, then all three are one.

Ransom said:
donnie said:

Ahem.

donnie said:

Those are your parameters. I proved all of those attributes. You don't get to move the goalposts by adding extra attributes.

You set a challenge, and it was met. You failed to stump the ignorant Prots. Too bad. Own it.

The goalpost are firmly set.............and, you did not prove with scripture the trinity...................

BTW,  not trying to stump anyone,  just making the point that sola scriptura is man made and on the same lines of what you prots condemn............

The Rogue Tomato said:
donnie said:

29 Or is God the God of Jews only? Is he not the God of Gentiles too? Yes, of Gentiles too, 30 since there is only one God

So if the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God, and there is only one God, then all three are one.

29 would prove against the trinity..........so why did you use it?

Your second statement is the use of logic,  I said to use scripture.......So...you have used a verse that states there is ONE God,  proven with the word "He",  not "they",  and then you used logic which could be seen as along the same lines as using tradition...a no no for prots..........

donnie said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
donnie said:

Your second statement is the use of logic,  I said to use scripture.......So...you have used a verse that states there is ONE God,  proven with the word "He",  not "they",  and then you used logic which could be seen as along the same lines as using tradition...a no no for prots..........

I used scripture.  You apparently don't understand how to interpret scripture.  No scripture can contradict other scripture.  So Father=God, Son=God, Spirit=God is true, and Only One God is also true.  The only way to reconcile them without contradiction is to conclude that all three are one God.  Hence, the trinity.

donnie said:
Your second statement is the use of logic,  I said to use scripture.......

Oh, brother.

If you think that the Protestant doctrine of sola Scriptura disallows the use of logic to interpret the Bible, then you don't actually know what sola Scriptura actually says.

Go educate yourself. Start by understanding the phrase, "due use of the ordinary means."

Buh-bye, troll.

"I said use scripture...oh, and you aren't allowed to read."

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
Titus 2:13 looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus,

The Rogue Tomato said:
donnie said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
donnie said:

I used scripture.  You apparently don't understand how to interpret scripture.  No scripture can contradict other scripture.  So Father=God, Son=God, Spirit=God is true, and Only One God is also true.  The only way to reconcile them without contradiction is to conclude that all three are one God.  Hence, the trinity.

You used a scripture that harmed your argument more than helped it,  it didn't prove anything other than you feel you have the liberty to read into a verse any way you wish.....  And again....why do you keep resorting to logic when trying to prove a premise  supposedly using only scripture............

Ransom said:
donnie said:
Your second statement is the use of logic,  I said to use scripture.......

Oh, brother.

If you think that the Protestant doctrine of sola Scriptura disallows the use of logic to interpret the Bible, then you don't actually know what sola Scriptura actually says.

Go educate yourself. Start by understanding the phrase, "due use of the ordinary means."

Buh-bye, troll.

Then using your statement here.....you as a protestant should have no problem with the magisterium......

Just so you know,  calling me a troll doesn't bolster any of the garbage you try to pass off as fact......

Recovering IFB said:
Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
Titus 2:13 looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus,

And this has what to do with proving the Trinity?   

donnie said:
But...no goal and no points.........

Yes, I was thinking that this "challenge" of yours seemed rather pointless. That's pretty good. You should make sure you get "no goal and no points" engraved on your headstone.