Question about HAC/FBC Auditoriums?

TommyBoy

Elect
Reaction score
Something I always wanted to know. I've seen sermons of Hyles preaching and the backdrop/choir seats behind him are yellow and while it's a good size stage it's not nearly as big as the one where I've seen Schaap/Larry Brown/Tony Hutson/Wilkerson etc preach. Are there multiple auditoriums there or was the main auditorium renovated?

example:

Hyles preaching in a smaller auditorium at HAC/FBC (looks like he's wearing sunglasses)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTjVoOJC9TY

The new "bigger" auditorium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y3_rXMbfGc

Old building.

New building.

Bro. Wilkerson brought a tour group to our church last year.  He was complimenting our auditorium.  I told him how Lowes had bought our property 10 years ago (before I was pastor) and built us a new building directly behind them.  I said, "the entire thing is paid for" then I smiled and asked him "is your building paid for?"  He took the joke graciously but genuinely sighed about the debt he is trying to pay off.  I told him I was there when they voted on the new building, but I didn't vote that night, so he couldn't blame me :)

Twisted said:
Old building.

New building.

And for some strange reason I can't remember what year the new building was completed.
Anyone, anyone? Maybe '05?

Old building. - On Sibley St. immediately east of Oakley St.

New building. On Sibley St. immediately west of Oakley St.

I believe the first service was 3/5/2005

Construction started in late 2003

I notice that for special events they use the old auditorium. I'm guessing it's because the new one would look too empty.

There is that, why do you need 6200 seats when only 1500 show up?

For some of us old-timers, the yellow one was the NEW auditorium; the old one had green carpet.  :) 

bgwilkinson said:

Have they considered building a wall and subleasing?

Twisted said:
bgwilkinson said:

Way too expensive.

No one would want to lease in downtown Hammond now anyway.

There is a vast oversupply of the commercial building space available now for pennies on the dollar.

100s of thousands of sq ft.

The few businesses that are in downtown Hammond are looking for a way to get out now and move South to Crown Point or Dyer-Schererville.

bgwilkinson said:
Twisted said:
bgwilkinson said:

Way too expensive.

No one would want to lease in downtown Hammond now anyway.

There is a vast oversupply of the commercial building space available now for pennies on the dollar.

100s of thousands of sq ft.

The few businesses that are in downtown Hammond are looking for a way to get out now and move South to Crown Point or Dyer-Schererville.

Sounds like more opportunities to tear down the wrong building for parking lots.

Least of These said:
For some of us old-timers, the yellow one was the NEW auditorium; the old one had green carpet.  :)

I remember the first service in the "doubled" auditorium in 1975 after meeting in the Civic Center for the winter and the large
red curtain that covered the baptistery.  I really liked the cross that was in the baptistery in the 1964 auditorium......I'm glad that
FBC chose to bring back a large cross in their present auditorium.

For those of you who never attended a service in the 1964-74 building, that was a great auditorium with very close seating.  The whole building had a seating capacity of 2,000 and the building only measured 100'x100'.  The choir loft could seat well over 100, whereas the new auditorium only could seat in the mid 80's, I believe.  FBC saw remarkable growth in the ten years that FBC met in this building.  (I wish that there were more pictures, or better yet, a video of this auditorium.  A few pics made it into the HB and early HAC yearbooks, and the occasional pic of a special event or wedding.)

tobytyler said:
.....I'm glad that FBC chose to bring back a large cross in their present auditorium. 

I remember that a question was asked during Q&A time on why there was no cross inside the auditorium.

Hyles went into motions like he was looking for one and gave some smart answer like, "If you really need on we can get you one".

Personally, there is no need of a cross or flags in an auditorium.  Just a preference.

Twisted said:
tobytyler said:
.....I'm glad that FBC chose to bring back a large cross in their present auditorium. 

I remember that a question was asked during Q&A time on why there was no cross.

Hyles went into motions like he was looking for one and gave some smart answer like, "If you really need on we can get you one".

Personally, there is no need of a cross or flags in an auditorium.  Just a preference.

There are hundreds of crosses in the bricks on the outer wall of the building.

bgwilkinson said:
Twisted said:
tobytyler said:

I've heard Bro Hyles say that also that they were on the outer wall of the whole building.  I think that the old cross from the 1964 auditorium was moved to the rescue mission on Calumet Avenue,  and then the mission burned down.  That cross was somewhat at an angle in the baptistery, and Bro Hyles cracked his head on it many times when he'd be up there baptizing.

One thing I've been wondering and maybe only Gail or Keith McKinney may know as they seem to be the church historians, how did FBC decide on a Hammond Organ for that building when the church had a pipe organ before that in the domed auditorium.  I remember that Mel Graves sold Hammond Organs and that may be the connection where the
church decided on that style and brand of organ, rather than purchasing an expensive pipe organ or an elctric organ with pipe like sound.  One thing for sure, is that purchase of the organ has been a great investment as that organ is 54 years old and still sounds as it did when it was purchased....although I don't know if the Spanish congregation uses it in its Sunday services.

bgwilkinson said:
Twisted said:
tobytyler said:

@BG -  Out of curiosity, did you vote for the new building?  No judgement here... I was pretty packed in the old one, and probably everyone was on board.... Just curious, did anyone suggest trying to somehow enlarge the 1975 auditorium?

bgwilkinson said:
Twisted said:
tobytyler said:

I updated my post to make it more clear.

WESLEY said:
bgwilkinson said:
Twisted said:
tobytyler said:

@BG -  Out of curiosity, did you vote for the new building?  No judgement here... I was pretty packed in the old one, and probably everyone was on board.... Just curious, did anyone suggest trying to somehow enlarge the 1975 auditorium?

Yes, even the fellowship hall was in use for morning services.
The old building had been thoroughly ruined with all the extra sardine-style seating.