Question about jail ministry.

ALAYMAN

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Yesterday me and a fellow preacher went to our regularly scheduled jail ministry.  Our time slot to appear and minister is 3-4PM.  For the second time in the last couple of months we were told to wait (for an indefinite time).  The wait period has not been due to disruptions in the jail.  This time it was because another minister had missed his appointed time earlier in the week and wanted to make it up to the inmates so he slid in at some time before us.  We were told he'd be out a few minutes after our normal appointed time.  We waited a half hour and he still had not came out, with no indication from the jailer when he would come out. When the jailer first told us of the need and reason for the wait we politely asked if he'd try to politely let the fellow know we were waiting, but he declined and said something like "some of the inmates look forward to seeing him just like some look forward to seeing you all".  We elected to leave after waiting for a half hour.  How would you handle such situations?

If I have time to wait then wait I shall. If I have another obligation looming, I move on and hope to reschedule.

The jail I minister in will often have delays/cancellations. Usually we're fortunate if we are even told why. I never question. I realize that I'm in there as a guest and at the good graces of the administration. Remember, it's not your time, it's theirs.

I would have waited about thirty minutes and then left. I would politely let the guards know that I was going and that I'd be back next week. If it happened again the next week, I'd schedule an appointment with the administration and discuss the situation. I would not get into a debate with the guards. They have it tough enough without me adding to the negative mix.

Seems like there should be a point of contact who you could ask about this situation.  I am assuming this is not a federal institution as they usually have chaplains and staff that handle the schedule.

ALAYMAN said:
Yesterday me and a fellow preacher went to our regularly scheduled jail ministry.  Our time slot to appear and minister is 3-4PM.  For the second time in the last couple of months we were told to wait (for an indefinite time).  The wait period has not been due to disruptions in the jail.  This time it was because another minister had missed his appointed time earlier in the week and wanted to make it up to the inmates so he slid in at some time before us.  We were told he'd be out a few minutes after our normal appointed time.  We waited a half hour and he still had not came out, with no indication from the jailer when he would come out. When the jailer first told us of the need and reason for the wait we politely asked if he'd try to politely let the fellow know we were waiting, but he declined and said something like "some of the inmates look forward to seeing him just like some look forward to seeing you all".  We elected to leave after waiting for a half hour.  How would you handle such situations?

They must have been from hac!

I was in the jail ministry for many years and rarely missed a service. I was never late. We usually arrived around 8:00 - 8:15 and our service was from 9:00 to 10:00. One Sunday I didn't get there until 8:30 and when I went to the place that we had held services for approximately 10 years, one of my good old hac fellow students had taken over and had his own service going. When I asked him what was going on he just said that he didn't think I was going to show up. (he started nearly a half hour early)

JrChurch said:
Seems like there should be a point of contact who you could ask about this situation.  I am assuming this is not a federal institution as they usually have chaplains and staff that handle the schedule.

It is the county jail, and like you (and others) have said, respectfully trying to talk to whoever is responsible for scheduling is obviously the most appropriate response.  I guess I am just a bit leery of the fellow who held us up, because both times it has happened it was on this one fellows watch, and some of the inmates said some things about him that might lead me to believe it's a personal thing.  Don't get me wrong, I don't put too much stock in the inmates opinion, but sometimes ya just bet funny vibes from people, and he gives me that sort of impression. 

Regardless, I'll probably just see if it happens one more times before I try to talk to somebody in charge about it.