Smellin Coffee said:
Saved by Grace said:
To reject the Word means you have rejected the Son.

THE WORD did become flesh .....

So while the Physical copy of the Bible isnt physically God ( that role was fulfilled by Jesus ) it is just as important

There are some similarities

Both are alive Matt 28:6 Heb 4:12
Both Are loved by the Father
Both are eternal in their being Col1:17; Ps 119;89
Neither contradict each other
Both are exalted Ps 138;  Phil2

Context. "Word" in John was capitalized either by the translators or added later on. It is NOT at all saying Jesus is the Bible. "Logos" is the Greek word and to maintain context, one would have to read the entire Gospel of John as "word = Jesus" and it just doesn't fit.

And certainly, "word" is NOT mentioned as a specific canon in any of the references you give.

"And the word became flesh..." This means, the word of God (the very nature and promises of God) were fulfilled in the coming of Jesus. Jesus is the fulfillment of "the word" and not the "logos" itself.

So your logic is not only flawed, but idolatrous.

I mostly agree with your assessment on the "word" in the 1st chapter of John's gospel.  However, how would you explain 1 John 5:7 - "For there are 3 that bear record in heaven, the Father, The Word, and the Holy Ghost, and these three are one."  The "Word" is obviously referencing Christ here.  (BTW...you might need a KJB to find this verse :))

cpizzle said:
  (BTW...you might need a KJB to find this verse :))

Exactly. Which is why Trinitarian theology (right or wrong exegesis) was a bias forced into the text by the KJV translators. That alone should tell one translational biblical inerrancy is an impossibility. :)

Source

Walt said:
I was listening to a message, and I was brought up a bit short by the following quote - wanted to get opinions here.

The speaker was holding a KJV Bible:

This has come directly from the very mouth of God, and in all reality, the very Bible that you hold in your hands; it is the written form of Jesus Christ.  And for us to reject any portion of this book right here is in some way, somehow to reject a portion of the Lord Jesus Christ.?

My question would be why are you listening to a moron like that preach! Find some good Bible preaching!

I very much like the tenor of the conversation here. To be honest when I read the OP, as the quote proceeded, I got a real spooky feeling coming over me. That seemed what the preacher wanted to produce. Was it our Christ Who called the Holy Spirit an it in Romans 8:26?

Escapee said:
Walt said:
I was listening to a message, and I was brought up a bit short by the following quote - wanted to get opinions here.

This has come directly from the very mouth of God, and in all reality, the very Bible that you hold in your hands; it is the written form of Jesus Christ.  And for us to reject any portion of this book right here is in some way, somehow to reject a portion of the Lord Jesus Christ.?

My question would be why are you listening to a moron like that preach! Find some good Bible preaching!

Ya. You southern Baptist like to listen to Stevie Anderson

:) :)

Escapee said:
Walt said:

I feel that I can reveal this now... the speaker was Caleb Garroway.

(and I'm listening to it because I have friends who attend the church and I want to know what they are being taught).

I feel that I can reveal this now... the speaker was Caleb Garroway.

(and I'm listening to it because I have friends who attend the church and I want to know what they are being taught).
Glad you got to hear the World Famous Caleb G. He's not a compromiser like Billy Graham and he's not a woke liberal.

He's pulling America...

Glad you got to hear the World Famous Caleb G. He's not a compromiser like Billy Graham and he's not a woke liberal.

He's pulling America...
Still not sure if you're into hero worship or just nursing a root of bitterness.

FWIW, seems to be a lot of that around here—bitterness, that is. Should probably rename this the Non-fundamental Forums. :cool:

Out of curiosity, which edition of the KJV was the guy referring to? They have minor differences, you know.

Still not sure if you're into hero worship or just nursing a root of bitterness.

FWIW, seems to be a lot of that around here—bitterness, that is. Should probably rename this the Non-fundamental Forums. :cool:
He’s a Troll.
Your best bet is to ignore him and his socks…or reply with sarcasm.

If the speaker is using the passage to assert that the KJB is the only pure translation, he is making a very irrational comment. If he is talking about the Bible in general, he is still wrong, and yet right.

Wrong: Jesus is not the Word incarnate. The Bible is not the physical manifestation of Jesus.

Right: If you reject the Word, you are rejecting Jesus. There is sound reason for believing that Jesus and the Word are one.

If the speaker is using the passage to assert that the KJB is the only pure translation, he is making a very irrational comment. If he is talking about the Bible in general, he is still wrong, and yet right.

Wrong: Jesus is not the Word incarnate. The Bible is not the physical manifestation of Jesus.

Right: If you reject the Word, you are rejecting Jesus. There is sound reason for believing that Jesus and the Word are one.
I'm not sure I believe either of these... the Bible says of Jesus... "And the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us". Jesus is called the Word of God in other places of the Scripture. I think that's just a name and doesn't imply that Jesus is the Bible incarnate; I believe Jesus is God incarnate, and the Bible testifies of Him.
We can only learn about Jesus through the Bible, so I agree that one cannot accept Jesus and reject the Bible entirely. But there are many who claim to believe in Jesus and do not accept everything in the Bible... do you say that they are not believers?
I believe that the speaker was talking about rejecting the KJV, and I have problems with that. While I am pro-KJV, I would never say that one who rejects the KJV is rejecting Christ.

Jesus is the Truth. The Bible is the truth about the Truth. It contains no doctrinal error. It is the word of God as the words of the prophets are called the word of God. But it is not the Word of God as the Son is the Word.

That is idolatry. I think it significant that we're presented with only three instances in which God gave direct written communication to man. The first was the Decalogue. But the tablets containing God's writing were broken at the foot of Sinai, and Moses carved new ones. The second was the writing on the plaster of the wall to Belshazzar, and the third, if this can be counted, was when Jesus wrote on the ground when the woman entrapped in adultery was brought to Him.

Each instance of God's direct written communication was on progessively unstable media and quickly erased. Could you imagine the idolatry if we had the original tablets presented by God to Moses, or even Moses's tablets? What if the plaster in Babylon were discovered? Or even the place where Christ wrote in the dust?

We do not have the original autographs of the biblical texts, lest we make idols of them.

What we have are copies of copies, and translations thereof. That we have reliable copies and faithful translations is the work of God, but it is also His work that they contain some copyist errors and passages that can only be guessed at, and yet no doctrinal or historical error.

KJVOism is the IFB equivalent of papal inerrancy and veneration of relics.

I can't believe I find myself agreeing with Ekk on something.

Ekk would like some of World Famous Caleb Garraway's sermons. He's Pulling America.