Returned to the Compound

Jim's college eventually had over 500 students. Counting their families, that alone would have given him a good crowd. Pushing his bus ministry, Jim probably was running over 1,000.
One of Jim's great failures was running off his staff members. In the 22 months I was there, we had over 100% turn-over in staff, and almost all left because of Jim's abuse. We had better academics than Hyles-Anderson, better spiritual attitudes among the students, and a better high school than Hammond Baptist. But Jim drove off his best teachers, pulling down the quality of everything.
Talking to some of my former students over the decades (mostly on Facebook) it appears that Jim's behavior got steadily worse, and he began making more demands of his congregation.
How sad. Some people are just born to manage, not lead. Vineyard's success at Hammond and Thomas Road seems to indicate that he was one of those men.

The former pastor of my church who was the Executive Vice-President of OBC was there from 1979 to 1986. According to what you have said, am I safe to assume that those years would have been during the institution's growth or peak?

Finally, do all you old "OBC hands" think that it will ever close, or will WHBC (now HGBC) continue to sponsor it in a reduced form?

OldJudge, the fellow you're talking about would have arrived about the time I left. I don't know the exact years of Jim's peak, but it probably was while he was there, and he might have been a good influence.

Keeping the college open when their handful of students was mostly staff kids is difficult to justify. There is no way possible that those students were getting a quality education. And why would you go to a college run by a failed church?

How sad. Some people are just born to manage, not lead. Vineyard's success at Hammond and Thomas Road seems to indicate that he was one of those men.

The former pastor of my church who was the Executive Vice-President of OBC was there from 1979 to 1986. According to what you have said, am I safe to assume that those years would have been during the institution's growth or peak?

Finally, do all you old "OBC hands" think that it will ever close, or will WHBC (now HGBC) continue to sponsor it in a reduced form?
They will always keep it open in some form so that they can say they have a school and college. It is the same reason the academy is still open in its feable form.
The hayday was probably late 90's early 2000's when 25 buses ran every week with 75-100 kids or more each bus, college had close or over 500 and dorms were being built, a freshmen class of almost 300 students, Youth Conference would run 1,500 easy, but then came the "Israel Year" and that is went everything began to implode.

Jim's college eventually had over 500 students. Counting their families, that alone would have given him a good crowd. Pushing his bus ministry, Jim probably was running over 1,000.
One of Jim's great failures was running off his staff members. In the 22 months I was there, we had over 100% turn-over in staff, and almost all left because of Jim's abuse. We had better academics than Hyles-Anderson, better spiritual attitudes among the students, and a better high school than Hammond Baptist. But Jim drove off his best teachers, pulling down the quality of everything.
Talking to some of my former students over the decades (mostly on Facebook) it appears that Jim's behavior got steadily worse, and he began making more demands of his congregation.

They were on fire when Caleb Garraway and Michael Shaver were preacher boys and when Joel McCarty and THE Jesse Jackson didn't become snowflakes who worship black criminals. Caleb G is keeping the home fire's burning and the OBC legacy. He credits Jim and Tom as mentors.

"The Israel Year"?
Let me list the things for you:
1. An entire year of messages Sun AM, PM, Wed, SS, Soulwinning, Chapel, Special Services, etc. Absolutely no sermons from or on anything but Israel out of Ezekiel 35-37
2. An Israel conference
3. Multiple trips to Israel and the war zone of Israel. It was in one of these where He told the Israel leaders to tell Bush to go to H***.
4. A rally near Bush's home in Crawford, TX. Literally brought out the Secret Service
5. Showing videos of Islamist chopping peoples heads off, blood, blades, and all. Literally making people sick as they watched it.
I am sure there is more I have blocked in my mind.

2005 was the year that Jim Vineyard became obsessed with stopping Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's plan to withdraw Israeli troops and settlers from the Gaza Strip. He organized mass rallies and protests to try to stop the withdrawal.

For many years, we as fundamentalists were propagandized and brainwashed to "Stand With Israel" and to blindly support all actions and policies of the Israeli government. But when Sharon and the Israeli parliament decided that Israel was over-extended in the Gaza Strip and that it would be to the strategic advantage of Israel to withdraw, then the big-shot Christian Zionists like Jim Vineyard and Pat Robertson went nuts about it and started lobbying against Sharon to try to stop the withdrawal. Moral of the story - we are to support Israel only as long as they follow the script written for them by the Christian Zionist televangelists and Armageddon Theologians, leading up to the deaths of 2/3 of all the Jews, but if Israel deviates from that suicidal agenda that has been prescribed for them by foreign meddlers like Vineyard, then we are supposed to oppose Israel. See this link for documentation of Vineyard's and Robertson's meddling:

Misguided Theology Makes Bad Foreign Policy - Antiwar.com Original

2005 was the year that Jim Vineyard became obsessed with stopping Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's plan to withdraw Israeli troops and settlers from the Gaza Strip. He organized mass rallies and protests to try to stop the withdrawal.

For many years, we as fundamentalists were propagandized and brainwashed to "Stand With Israel" and to blindly support all actions and policies of the Israeli government. But when Sharon and the Israeli parliament decided that Israel was over-extended in the Gaza Strip and that it would be to the strategic advantage of Israel to withdraw, then the big-shot Christian Zionists like Jim Vineyard and Pat Robertson went nuts about it and started lobbying against Sharon to try to stop the withdrawal. Moral of the story - we are to support Israel only as long as they follow the script written for them by the Christian Zionist televangelists and Armageddon Theologians, leading up to the deaths of 2/3 of all the Jews, but if Israel deviates from that suicidal agenda that has been prescribed for them by foreign meddlers like Vineyard, then we are supposed to oppose Israel. See this link for documentation of Vineyard's and Robertson's meddling:

Misguided Theology Makes Bad Foreign Policy - Antiwar.com Original

Around that time 2005-2010 OBC was on fire. When Caleb Garraway and Michael Shaver were preacher boys studying under Vineyard and street preaching. Before Joel McCarty and THE Jesse Jackson (Stone) became snowflakes who worship black criminals.