Revival Fires Falling In West Virginia ? Called The Greatest Spiritual Awakening

bgwilkinson

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Has anyone got any info on this.

"Old Path" guys have been trying to work up something like this for many years.

Are IFB churches, especially "old paths" involved with this reval? Would the "old paths" people approve?

http://www.viralbeliever.com/news/revival-fires-falling-in-west-virginia-called-the-greatest-spiritual-awakening-in-their-history/

screenshot-www.viralbeliever.com-2016-05-03-05-19-01.jpg

Some of the buzzwords used in the article (and the invitation to read "marvelous Kathryn Kuhlman quotes") suggest that this is another flash-in-the-pan charismatic "revival."

Reminds me of that Pelagian Finney.

He has left us many books on how to work up a revival.

Although my husband lives 5 minutes from "our" hospital, he has been driving to that basic Southern WV area for a year to work a few weeks each month because they can't find people in his specialty to live there.  The area has been saturated with  Bible teaching for years so most people have heard the gospel.  Coal mines in the area are closed or idled.  Drugs are out of control,  crime is increasing, hopelessness is setting in as people realize that their economic plight has little chance of changing.  I was there a few weeks ago and the desperation is palpable. 

Yes, people are turning to the Lord.  My husband has led 2 young men to the Lord this month (God gave the increase) and the spiritual interest among hospital workers has increased.  I have no idea about "revival fires" or the people who are involved in the meetings.  I just know the people are suffering and looking for answers.

bgwilkinson said:
Has anyone got any info on this.

"Old Path" guys have been trying to work up something like this for many years.

Are IFB churches, especially "old paths" involved with this reval? Would the "old paths" people approve?

http://www.viralbeliever.com/news/revival-fires-falling-in-west-virginia-called-the-greatest-spiritual-awakening-in-their-history/

screenshot-www.viralbeliever.com-2016-05-03-05-19-01.jpg

I have a very difficult time believing that most fundamental baptists I have known would even call it a revival if the people involved did not become like them. That means they could not have certain musical instruments, they would have to dress a certain way, and they would have to embrace a kjv position or it would be dismissed as not really a revival. This is one of the reasons I am not all that enamored with evangelists and people who know exactly how to bring revival to a church and nation. (even though they have never seen it)

I also have a difficult time believing that a lot of the old guard pentecostals would embrace or condone a spiritual revival if it did not include 'the baptism of the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues.'  I have heard this phrase about 3 times an hour if I ever listen to Son Life radio. (Jimmy Swaggart)

There seems to be something unusual going on in West Virginia.

Ransom said:
BALAAM said:
I also have a difficult time believing that a lot of the old guard pentecostals would embrace or condone a spiritual revival if it did not include 'the baptism of the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues.'  I have heard this phrase about 3 times an hour if I ever listen to Son Life radio. (Jimmy Swaggart)

Ask, and ye shall receive.

West Virigini Outpouring Sees Thousands of Conversions, Healings and Holy Ghost Baptisms (Charisma News)
Ok, then the ifb world will never see it as true revival.

I hope that they see hundreds of thousands of people saved--literally.

It was once estimated that during the Passover, there would be a million people in Jerusalem. If that is true, then not even 1/3 % got saved on Pentecost.

During the heydays of Charles Spurgeon and D.L. Moody, most people in London and Chicago never attended their churches and never got saved. Neither city turned Christian.

The Bible never talks about revivals. It talks about getting people saved and having them grow afterwards.

If the charismatics are getting people saved, that's wonderful.

Y'all got it wrong anyway.

It is properly called West - BY GOD - Virginia

JrChurch said:
... Coal mines in the area are closed or idled.  Drugs are out of control,  crime is increasing, hopelessness is setting in as people realize that their economic plight has little chance of changing.  I was there a few weeks ago and the desperation is palpable. 

Yes, people are turning to the Lord. ...I have no idea about "revival fires" or the people who are involved in the meetings.  I just know the people are suffering and looking for answers.

Emphasis and edits mine.

Interesting observation about hopelessness in the apparent spiritual awakening in WV .  As "chance" would have it I have just been studying through Acts 16 on the Gospel going to Philippi. On the narrative of the jailer with the burning question "...what must I do to be saved?..." I felt compelled to discover as best the text allows what drove the jailer to ask that question with the apparent urgency and fervency that he did ("...called for a light...sprang in...came trembling...fell down before Paul...").

What he was NOT responding to is actually a little easier to discern.  He was not responding to:
1) the testimony of Paul and Silas as he did not know it; he was given the charge to secure them from the magistrates and, as far as the text is concerned, that is the only interaction he had with them.
2) the singing and praying; he was clearly asleep until the earthquake awakened him
3) the earthquake; Actually the earthquake and its results--"...all the doors were opened...every one's bands were loosed..."--drove him to suicide and not the Savior

Mere seconds from death with his sword at his belly Paul's words "...do thyself no harm for [because] we are all here..." provided him something that drove him to his question.  That something was hope.  His situation was hopeless to the point of suicide, but hope for that hopelessness compelled him to ask "what must I do to be saved?"

I don't know anything about what is going on in WV, but hopelessness does seem to till the ground to receive the Gospel seed.  And if that is the case I am thankful for hopeless situations.

Anchor said:
JrChurch said:
... Coal mines in the area are closed or idled.  Drugs are out of control,  crime is increasing, hopelessness is setting in as people realize that their economic plight has little chance of changing.  I was there a few weeks ago and the desperation is palpable. 

Yes, people are turning to the Lord. ...I have no idea about "revival fires" or the people who are involved in the meetings.  I just know the people are suffering and looking for answers.

Emphasis and edits mine.

Interesting observation about hopelessness in the apparent spiritual awakening in WV .  As "chance" would have it I have just been studying through Acts 16 on the Gospel going to Philippi. On the narrative of the jailer with the burning question "...what must I do to be saved?..." I felt compelled to discover as best the text allows what drove the jailer to ask that question with the apparent urgency and fervency that he did ("...called for a light...sprang in...came trembling...fell down before Paul...").

What he was NOT responding to is actually a little easier to discern.  He was not responding to:
1) the testimony of Paul and Silas as he did not know it; he was given the charge to secure them from the magistrates and, as far as the text is concerned, that is the only interaction he had with them.
2) the singing and praying; he was clearly asleep until the earthquake awakened him
3) the earthquake; Actually the earthquake and its results--"...all the doors were opened...every one's bands were loosed..."--drove him to suicide and not the Savior

Mere seconds from death with his sword at his belly Paul's words "...do thyself no harm for [because] we are all here..." provided him something that drove him to his question.  That something was hope.  His situation was hopeless to the point of suicide, but hope for that hopelessness compelled him to ask "what must I do to be saved?"

I don't know anything about what is going on in WV, but hopelessness does seem to till the ground to receive the Gospel seed.  And if that is the case I am thankful for hopeless situations.
Paul answered a question he didn't ask, which is often the job of the Gospel Witness.

earnestly contend

BALAAM said:

I find this opinion interesting because I have been IFB for decades and I never once wondered if this is "true" revival.  When I read about this young man and others, I literally prayed for the Lord to guide and protect these young people. 

JrChurch said:
BALAAM said:

I find this opinion interesting because I have been IFB for decades and I never once wondered if this is "true" revival.  When I read about this young man and others, I literally prayed for the Lord to guide and protect these young people.

Well, I guess time will tell.