Revival in North Carolina........

Escapee

Elect
Reaction score
I have seen more than one SBC person write of rejoicing over whatever God is doing in the NC revival.  Whether it is emotionalism or not only God knows. Some of the video I have seen, I wonder how anyone could criticize charismatics for the their emotion. Lots of yelling and running around.  Only God knows! Knowing some of the people under the tent, if this were a SBC evangelist with a praise band, many in this crowd would be calling it carnal and flesh driven! That's what I KNOW TO BE TRUE! :eek: 8)

Escapee said:
I have seen more than one SBC person write of rejoicing over whatever God is doing in the NC revival.  Whether it is emotionalism or not only God knows. Some of the video I have seen, I wonder how anyone could criticize charismatics for the their emotion. Lots of yelling and running around.  Only God knows! Knowing some of the people under the tent, if this were a SBC evangelist with a praise band, many in this crowd would be calling it carnal and flesh driven! That's what I KNOW TO BE TRUE! :eek: 8)

I had no idea!

Escapee said:

The Churches in my area that host C T Townsend are not necessarily the quiet type. They shout and don't just sing lethargic songs. They don't restrict CCM and are mostly KJV preferred. I don't know how the Church hosting this revival is like - but I have attended the local Camp Meeting services and it sounds similar.

What I do know is that the hearts behind many of the Churches here with that style seem genuine. That surly counts.

Tim said:
The Churches in my area that host C T Townsend are not necessarily the quiet type.

I first heard of CT on Facebook.  I watched one of his singing services and asked him why he sang such worldly music.  He blocked me.

Twisted said:
Tim said:
The Churches in my area that host C T Townsend are not necessarily the quiet type.

I first heard of CT on Facebook.  I watched one of his singing services and asked him why he sang such worldly music.  He blocked me.

https://twitter.com/preacherpearcy/status/627826538680029184

IMHO it's impossible at this stage to call it a revival,  let's  see the lasting effects it has on the community.

Looks like a pretty good meeting if you are into that style, while I rejoice at the testimony of those attending I could probably only stomach a service or two.

Thanks,

Bill

Billy said:
IMHO it's impossible at this stage to call it a revival,  let's  see the lasting effects it has on the community.

Looks like a pretty good meeting if you are into that style, while I rejoice at the testimony of those attending I could probably only stomach a service or two.

Thanks,

Bill

Which reminds me of this thought I shared in another thread.

20K plus at Passion is just a rock concert and compromising preachers but 2k at a IFB sponsored event is the beginning of a revival sent from God...hmmmmm

Billy

Billy said:
Billy said:

Thanks,

Bill

20K plus at Passion is just a rock concert and compromising preachers but 2k at a IFB sponsored event is the beginning of a revival sent from God...hmmmmm

Billy

I see and partially agree with your point.
However, I don't see anything spontaneous about the attendance at passion while this meeting 'exploded' numerically with no strategy or intention of so doing. In fact the leaders were astounded by the growing number of attendees.

And, the attendance has grown to closer to 4000 per night.

Billy said:
Billy said:

Thanks,

Bill

Billy

Exactly my point. Some of the guys posting pics with CT are as mean and legalistic as it gets!

Genuine revival ONLY comes when the Holy Spirit uses His word to convict hearts. Without the word of God, the people perish.

If people come and hear the word of God and come to an understanding of it, then the Holy Spirit is producing His work.

There are different styles, approaches and motivations in delivering God's word. If His word is not discernable, no matter how many gyrations are made, revival will not happen. I have been to way too many IFB rain dances for the Holy Spirit to know that they (like other evangelicals as well) typically do not preach the word with any lasting effect.

This world has more copies and translation the word of God available than any time in history, YET, our churches are not committed to it in preaching.

With that said, I am not going to cast my own judgment against this revival. I haven't been there nor have I listened to more than ten minutes of a video. I couldn't stomach the chuffing, huffing dance. Hopefully the word of God is being used and explained and I just didn't hear those sections.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Billy said:
Billy said:

Thanks,

Bill

Billy

However, I don't see anything spontaneous about the attendance at passion while this meeting 'exploded' numerically with no strategy or intention of so doing. In fact the leaders were astounded by the growing number of attendees.

Large numbers and rapid numeric growth is not necessarily a good metric for one to use when judging if a work is of The Holy Spirit.

I think a better measure is what happens to those that made decisions 30 or 40 years down the road.

Many  criticized Billy Graham in the 50s and 60s for his large revival meetings and his linking up with Catholics, yet I know many people who are vibrant Christians today who believed the gospel message in those Graham meetings. You just never know what may come of it.

bgwilkinson said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Billy said:
Billy said:

Thanks,

Bill

Billy

Large numbers and rapid numeric growth is not necessarily a good metric for one to use when judging if a work is of The Holy Spirit.

I think a better measure is what happens to those that made decisions 30 or 40 years down the road.

Many  criticized Billy Graham in the 50s and 60s for his large revival meetings and his linking up with Catholics, yet I know many people who are vibrant Christians today who believed the gospel message in those Graham meetings. You just never know what may come of it.

I never said numbers were a measure of judging the work of the holy spirt.
I was responding to someone else's comparison of attendance at Passion VS this meeting.

I, you, we don't know what will come of it in the future, which is why I'm not quick to judge it in the present!

Tarheel Baptist said:
bgwilkinson said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Billy said:
Billy said:

Thanks,

Bill

Billy

I never said numbers were a measure of judging the work of the holy spirt.
I was responding to someone else's comparison of attendance at Passion VS this meeting.

I, you, we don't know what will come of it in the future, which is why I'm not quick to judge it in the present!

Yes, I  guess that is the point, we don't know just by looking at those that are cooperating in the meetings or even listening to the preacher. I was against the change that Billy Graham made in the 50s when he started to include Catholic priests in his meetings, but several of the people that go to FBCH today and are faithful Christians were saved in those very meetings I used to criticize. I do regret my opposition to those Billy Graham meetings where we said liberals and compromisers could not do God's work. God can use anybody.

"The secret things belong unto the Lord our God" Duet. 29:29

Only God knows and he has not chosen to explain it to us. Our job is to tell the good news, His is to do the saving.

bgwilkinson said:
Yes, I  guess that is the point, we don't know just by looking at those that are cooperating in the meetings or even listening to the preacher. I was against the change that Billy Graham made in the 50s when he started to include Catholic priests in his meetings, but several of the people that go to FBCH today and are faithful Christians were saved in those very meetings I used to criticize. I do regret my opposition to those Billy Graham meetings where we said liberals and compromisers could not do God's work. God can use anybody.

So it's ok to build my crowd in a revival meeting by reaching out to include area Catholic priests and their parishes?