RIP Ron (Patch the Pirate) Hamilton.

Sad news. I grew up hearing Patch cassettes and later DVDs.
His father in law, Dr Frank Garlock, had just passed away a week or two ago. Sad times for their family.

Their son also passed away a few years ago from suicide. His mom (Ron’s wife), has become a mental health advocate in IFB circles in recent years—she’s probably the first and only person I’ve heard of who had really tackled this subject in the IFB world. https://investedwithyou.com/faith-midst-tragedy-losing-child-mental-illness/
I am familiar with Ron's testimony about losing his eye to cancer and his writing of Rejoice in the Lord as a result. I never heard of this episode. Add the death of Frank, Ron's dementia and now death... this makes Ron's song all the more poignant. After reading Job, from which the song draws its chorus, I may have to dig it up and give a listen and reflect.

For those of you who remember patch the pirates
Their son also passed away a few years ago from suicide. His mom (Ron’s wife), has become a mental health advocate in IFB circles in recent years—she’s probably the first and only person I’ve heard of who had really tackled this subject in the IFB world. https://investedwithyou.com/faith-midst-tragedy-losing-child-mental-illness/
His condition could not be helped with therapy or treatment, but often in Fundamental Baptist circles I think mental illness and even learning disabilities are ignored. Seeking professional counseling, therapy or treatment is often discouraged. Those with learning disabilities often never receive the specialized education they need.

Like those in the military I think we put a stigma on those with mental health or depression issues and this discourage people from talking about what they are dealing with or seeking help.

I think Ron Hamilton has had a lasting impact for good on a generation of Christian young people. My children and grandchildren have been influenced greatly by his material. Patch will be missed, but his impact on a generation will live on.