Ronald Reagan and gun control

Mr. Hall

Elect
Reaction score
In 1991 former President Reagan wrote an opinion piece in the New York Times in support of the yet-to-be passed Brady Bill:

"This level of violence must be stopped. Sarah and Jim Brady are working hard to do that, and I say more power to them. If the passage of the Brady bill were to result in a reduction of only 10 or 15 percent of those numbers (and it could be a good deal greater), it would be well worth making it the law of the land."
http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/29/opinion/why-i-m-for-the-brady-bill.html

In 1994 former presidents Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, and Ronald Reagan  signed a letter sent to all House members urging approval of a ban on the manufacture, sale, and possession of combat-style assault weapons:

May 3, 1994

To Members of the U.S. House of Representatives:

We are writing to urge your support for a ban on the domestic manufacture of military-style assault weapons. This is a matter of vital importance to the public safety. Although assualt weapons account for less than 1% of the guns in circulation, they account for nearly 10% of the guns traced to crime.

Every major law enforcement organization in America and dozens of leading labor, medical, religious, civil rights and civic groups support such a ban. Most importantly, poll after poll shows that the American public overwhelmingly support a ban on assault weapons. A 1993 CNN/USA Today/Gallup Poll found that 77% of Americans support a ban on the manufacture, sale, and possession of semi-automatic assault guns, such as the AK-47.

The 1989 import ban resulted in an impressive 40% drop in imported assault weapons traced to crime between 1989 and 1991, but the killing continues. Last year, a killer armed with two TEC9s killed eight people at a San Francisco law firm and wounded several others. During the past five years, more than 40 law enforcement officers have been killed or wounded in the line of duty by an assault weapon.

While we recognize that assault weapon legislation will not stop all assault weapon crime, statistics prove that we can dry up the supply of these guns, making them less accessible to criminals. We urge you to listen to the American public and to the law enforcement community and support a ban on the further manufacture of these weapons.

Sincerely,

Gerald R. Ford

Jimmy Carter

Ronald Reagan
http://articles.latimes.com/1994-05-05/news/mn-54185_1_assault-weapons-ban
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/12/20/1172314/-Ronald-Reagan-Assault-weapons-ban-must-be-passed

$

Well, if Ronald Reagan felt that way, then, gawrsh, every conservative should agree.

aleshanee said:
.........certain democrats want to add too many people to that list.....basically anybody they disagree with or who gives them a hard time.... (like NRA members for instance...)......

Please name some of these democrats and provide quotes of their statements that support your position..

$

Seems to be working. California, as a state, has the strictest laws governing "combat style" weapons.

qwerty said:
Seems to be working. California, as a state, has the strictest laws governing "combat style" weapons.

I'm pretty sure making your own pipe bombs isn't legal in California, too.  Maybe we need more "pipe-bomb-free zone" signs.

The Rogue Tomato said:
I'm pretty sure making your own pipe bombs isn't legal in California, too.  Maybe we need more "pipe-bomb-free zone" signs.

I hear there is going to be a ban on metal pipe next. PVC only.... until someone is killed by a potato gun, then they will been all pipes. Outhouses only.

qwerty said:
The Rogue Tomato said:

I hear there is going to be a ban on metal pipe next. PVC only.... until someone is killed by a potato gun, then they will been all pipes. Outhouses only.

Nah, we just need the appropriate signs.  Even if a suicide bomber doesn't obey the law, I'm sure his moderate Moslem friend will keep him in line.

"Hey, Achmed Mohammed Al-Dente, don't you see the sign?  It says this is a suicide vest-free zone."

"Allahu Akbar, thank you, bruh, I didn't notice that.  Let's go next door and blow up innocent people.  We can't do it here."

Three things every proposed law should have asked of it:

1 - Have you adequately defined the terms being used?
2 - Will the proposed legislation sufficiently address the problem being corrected?
3 - What are some possible unintended consequences of the proposed legislation?

The overwhelming majority of  the time, I find these questions have not been asked. For example, in this particular case:

1 - How have you defined "assault weapon"?
2 - How will this prevent access for those seeking these weapons for the purpose of committing harm? As to the OP, the letter explicitly pointed out that the earlier regulatory action did not slow down crime rates, just shifted the means.
3 - Among others, the law could be too broadly interpreted and result in the seizure of weapons that do not fit the original criteria. The law could be considered a erosion of Constitutional protections, namely the 2nd and 10th amendments.

I personally am glad there was never a federal ban on assault-style Stooge eye-poking. That's always a laugh.

qwerty said:

California also has open borders with Arizona and Nevada.

$

Mr. Hall said:
qwerty said:

$

Half of gun crimes in California are committed with guns bought legally in California. 

Mr. Hall said:

$

But CA has laws banning magazines greater that 10 rounds. So the laws should have prevented this tragedy...or are you saying they should have more laws? Maybe a law against murder would help? Maybe Arizona and Nevada should have a law against murder like California.

qwerty said:
But CA has laws banning magazines greater that 10 rounds. So the laws should have prevented this tragedy...or are you saying they should have more laws?

Leftists must be ultra-naive idealists who think that if you make enough laws, terrorists and murderers will find it too inconvenient to break all of them and just give up on their crimes.

Mr. Hall said:
JrChurch said:
Very few, if any  advocates of better regulation of firearms would want to take Grandma's gun away or object to her use of it in that situation.  Neither the Brady Bill or a ban on military-style assault weapons would do so.

$
Amendment II
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The government does not need to infringe upon granny's right to bear arms.  Period. 
What you advocate is threatening the security of her free state. 

Mr. Hall said:
qwerty said:

$

Once Trump is done building the Mexican wall, he can just turn north and wall off California, Oregon and Washington. Problem solved and your excuse gone.

aleshanee said:
Mr. Hall said:
aleshanee said:
.........certain democrats want to add too many people to that list.....basically anybody they disagree with or who gives them a hard time.... (like NRA members for instance...)......

Please name some of these democrats and provide quotes of their statements that support your position..

$
hillary clinton .... "you know, the NRA and iranian terrorists are the same thing..."....... october 9, 2015

linda stasi ...... state department must list gun-loving NRA as terrorist organization........ october 3, 2015 ...

wayne bradley ......."the NRA are terrorists, pure and simple.......".......october 2, 2015.....

You misquoted Hillary:  the actual quote was:

?You know, the NRA?s position reminds me of negotiating with the Iranians or the communists,"

She did not call the NRA a terrorist organization or say anything about adding the NRA to the No fly list or Terrorist Watchlist.

Linda Stasi.  She wrote that, part tongue in cheek I'm sure.  No one is seriously considering adding the NRA to the Terrorist Watchlist.

Who the h*ll is Wayne Bradley?  How do you know he's a Democrat?  Yes, he wrote that but said nothing about adding the NRA to the Terrorist Watchlist.

Very misleading posts:  Little substance.

$

Original intent of the Framers:

We need assault weapons to take on the S.W.A.T. teams that are being sent to disarm us.
We are to remain armed, in case it becomes necessary to overthrow the U.S. Gov., which it has.  Assault rifles would be a must.

No other argument matters. 
No society is truly free, until every citizen is armed.

For those of us who took the oath, to defend the Constitution, the necessity of being armed to the point of being capable of defending it from domestic enemies causes us to obtain the very weapons that those domestic enemies would ban.

Earnestly Contend

aleshanee said:
Who the h*ll is Wayne Bradley?  How do you know he's a Democrat?  Yes, he wrote that but said nothing about adding the NRA to the Terrorist Watchlist.

well if you don;t know who he is.... then how do you know what he did or didn;t say?........... i;m afraid i;m going to have to consider your evaluation of his remarks invalid........

I found him in the same place you did:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/hillary-clinton-gun-control_560e85d7e4b0af3706e05b04

You quoted an obscure individual commenting in response to a Huffington Post article.  And again, he said nothing about adding the NRA to the Terrorist Watch list.

$