Salem Witch Trials

Jubal Sackett

Elect
Reaction score
Am reading The Witches Salem,1692 by Stacy Schiff. It's an account of the Salem witch trials of 1692-93. Growing up the New England Puritans, especially the Mathers,  were held up as heroes by the Xer powers that were. I'm still trying to figure out why.  The authorities violated almost every rule of British juris prudence. All were convicted on hearsay and were executed. This with the local ministers taking an active role in the prosecution. Things suddenly came to a screeching halt when accusations were made against members of the Mather family.

Jubal Sackett

Jubal Sackett said:
Am reading The Witches Salem,1692 by Stacy Schiff. It's an account of the Salem witch trials of 1692-93. Growing up the New England Puritans, especially the Mathers,  were held up as heroes by the Xer powers that were. I'm still trying to figure out why.  The authorities violated almost every rule of British juris prudence. All were convicted on hearsay and were executed. This with the local ministers taking an active role in the prosecution. Things suddenly came to a screeching halt when accusations were made against members of the Mather family.

Jubal Sackett

You're having trouble figuring out why?

Cotton Mather's Diary was used to make a sort of bio.
It is an excellent addition to any set of insights into Salem.

Sent from my C6730 using Tapatalk

prophet said:

This book is written from court transcripts which do survive. I would like to read Mather's diary. I bet it's wild.
Due to the chaos in the courtroom he reporter often had to go back at a later time and fill in what was said. It was a circus.

Jubal Sackett

The diary probably says, "So, logically--  If she weighs the same as a duck... she's made of wood. And therefore? A witch!"

The Rogue Tomato said:
The diary probably says, "So, logically--  If she weighs the same as a duck... she's made of wood. And therefore? A witch!"

She turned me into newt!

subllibrm said:
The Rogue Tomato said:

She turned me into newt!

A newt?

Well, I got better...

prophet said:

In one of my lit classes, we read excerpts from Samuel Sewall's diary. Sewall was a magistrate during the witch trials, and is the only person of whom we have a record of an apology for his part in them.

Ransom said:
prophet said:

In one of my lit classes, we read excerpts from Samuel Sewall's diary. Sewall was a magistrate during the witch trials, and is the only person of whom we have a record of an apology for his part in them.
I haven't read this, yet. 

Bucket list+1