Sanctification: Does it take effort?

FSSL

Staff member
Administrator
Doctor
Reaction score
Trinity Evangelical (now Trinity International) did a study in the 1990s which concluded that it took about 5 years of solid, daily, consistent and challenging Bible study and application to discern a difference in their "test group."

Three years after establishing the church in Corinth, Paul, the Apostle admonished the believers. He fully expected them to have developed in their sanctification. He admonished them in 1 Cor 3.1-2 "Brothers and sisters, I could not address you as people who live by the Spirit but as people who are still worldly?mere infants in Christ. I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready."

Later, Peter says "make every  effort." 2 Peter 1:5ff "For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.

10 Therefore, my brothers and sisters,[a] make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble, 11 and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."

So, the questions are: "Does Sanctification require effort?" "What are the efforts?"

Yes.

Philippians 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

I like the balance of the way David Martyn Lloyd-Jones explains it here:

"This illustrates a vital truth about our Christian life and warfare, about our development, about our growth in holiness and in sanctification. The two extreme schools of thought are patently quite wrong in their teachings and conclusions. Those who maintain that believers do everything in the Christian life are wrong; and those who say that believers have nothing to do but just 'look to Christ' and 'wait for Him to do it' are equally wrong. Because the Church is the body of Christ, and every single part and portion is vitally connected to Him as the life of all, every Christian has this power in him. But we must exercise the power; and as we exercise the power, we shall inevitably receive more power. If therefore you are conscious of failure and constant defeat, do not pray only that you may have strength and power; 'resist the devil' and 'mortify your members which are on the earth.' Do not expect the Lord Jesus Christ to take your lusts and passions out of you; do not expect Him to do all for you while you simply 'abide' in Him. Exercise the power that is in you. As a Christian the life of Christ is in you; realize this, and begin to use it, and to exercise it. Make use of your spiritual muscles, mortify the members of your body which have been used as instruments of sin; do all you can with all your might; and as you are doing so, increased power and energy will flow into you."

Does it take effort to:

1.  ..humble oneself?
2.  ...forgive others?
3.  ...love others as oneself?
4.  ...hunger and thirst for righteousness?
5.  ...extend mercy?
6.  ...love one's enemies?
7.  ...keep silent about individual accomplishments?
8.  ...avoid worry?
9.  ...confess personal sin?
10. ...attempt to follow Christ against our culture and even human nature?

I would suggest a big "yes".

Smellin Coffee said:
Does it take effort to:

1.  ..humble oneself?
2.  ...forgive others?
3.  ...love others as oneself?
4.  ...hunger and thirst for righteousness?
5.  ...extend mercy?
6.  ...love one's enemies?
7.  ...keep silent about individual accomplishments?
8.  ...avoid worry?
9.  ...confess personal sin?
10. ...attempt to follow Christ against our culture and even human nature?

I would suggest a big "yes".

Great post!

Well, it sure don't happen by osmosis.  ;D

I have running lately(after taking a few years off  :-[) but I have been listening to books on Audiobooks. I just finished the Mortification of Sin by John Owen.
The very act of mortification takes work and prayer. Be killing sin or sin will be killing you!

Well,, yeah.  It's a path of transformation, and that's never easy.  Lucky that God helps us with it.

Yes, it takes effort... but (as others have pointed out), we are not alone - we have help!

To be as honest and transparent as possible, I confess that the biggest effort is getting "me" out of the way. So many ways to say it but the idea from scripture of walking in the Spirit rather than the flesh is the crucial point.

Surrender.

Die to oneself.

Take up your cross.

They all point to the same goal. Less of me and more of Him until there is no "me" left.

"Live the christian on purpose with a purpose: It doesn't come by default"

{unless you're a calvinist}  :)

1 Corinthians 1:2 Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both their's and our's:

1 Corinthians 1:30  But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

Jude 1 Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called:

Acts 26:18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

Romans 15:16 That I should be the minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, ministering the gospel of God, that the offering up of the Gentiles might be acceptable, being sanctified by the Holy Ghost.

1 Corinthians 6:11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Mathew Ward said:
1 Corinthians 1:2 Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both their's and our's:

1 Corinthians 1:30  But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

Jude 1 Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called:

Acts 26:18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

Romans 15:16 That I should be the minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, ministering the gospel of God, that the offering up of the Gentiles might be acceptable, being sanctified by the Holy Ghost.

1 Corinthians 6:11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.
Positional sanctification and practical sanctification are not the same thing.

For instance, John 17:19.
John 17:19  And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.

One was a conscious act of Christ, the other was an act being performed on others, right in the same verse.

Consider 1 Thessalonians 5:23  And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Were they not sanctified wholly already? In one sense, yes, in another, no. 

2 Timothy 2:21  If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

Without the purging of "these", he is not sanctified.

The difference between positional and practical sanctification is a recurring  theme in Scripture

It takes effort to overcome, to deny evil is work, sin can be fun and attractive.

"Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;"