Sanctification

Santification is,

• Total voters
I think Sproul agrees with Calvin that it is Monergistic. But I could be wrong.

The Institutes Book 3 Chapter 4 9-11.

(Those who are regenerated, justified by faith alone, 9-11)
9. Also, True believers do no good works of themselves

Now let's examine what righteousness is possessed by those whom we have placed in the fourth class. We confess that while through the intersession of Christ's righteousness, God reconciles us to Himself, and by free remission of sins accounts us righteous, his beneficence is at the same time joined with such a mercy that through his Holy Spirit he dwells in us and by his power the lusts of our flesh are each day more and more mortified; we are indeed sanctified, that is, consecrated to the Lord in true purity of life, with our hearts formed to obedience to the law. The end is that our special will may be to serve his will and by every means to advance his glory alone.

But even while by the leading of the Holy Spirit we walk in the ways of the Lord, to keep us from forgetting ourselves and becoming puffed up, traces of our imperfection remain to give us occasion for humility. Scripture says: There is no righteous man, no man who will do good and not sin [Eccl. 7:21, Vg.; cf 1 kings 8:46]. What sort of righteousness will they obtain, then, from their works? First, I say that the best work that can be brought forward from them is still always spotted and corrupted with some impurity of the flesh, and has, so to speak, some dregs mixed with it. Let a holy servant of God, I say, choose from the whole course of his life what of an especially noteworthy character he thinks he has done. Let him well turn over in his mind its several parts. Undoubtedly he will somewhere perceive that it savors of rottenness of the flesh since our eagerness for well-doing is never what it ought to be but our great weakness slows down our running in the race. Although we see that the stains that bespatter the works of the saints are plainly visible, though we admit that they are only the slightest spots, they will not offend God's eyes, before which not even the stars are pure [Job 25:5]?
We have not a single work going forth from the saints that if it be judged in itself deserves not shame as its just reward.

Sanctification, monergistic or synergistic?
Synergistic.

we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. (Eph. 2:10)

Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. (Phil. 2:12-13)​

God has saved us for good works that we are to do. We cooperate with divine grace to accomplish our sanctification. But it is God in us that has prepared those works for us, and he alone guarantees their success.

Romans 6:13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

2 Timothy 2:21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

Wow, I guess I'm alone in believing Sanctification is monergistic. :giggle:

Depends on how you're defining it. Positional sanctification, being set apart, is concurrent with justification, is God's work, and that's monergistic. Progressive sanctification, being made Christ-like over time, is something we cooperate with, so it's synergistic.

Depends on how you're defining it. Positional sanctification, being set apart, is concurrent with justification, is God's work, and that's monergistic. Progressive sanctification, being made Christ-like over time, is something we cooperate with, so it's synergistic.
Thanks for your reply. :)

But I believe the part we do is the fruit of the Spirit's work in our lives.

Thanks for your reply. :)

How does this philosophical perspective prevent an understanding that we are nothing more than an automaton?

Not quite. But my company is no compliment to you here, LOL.

If one could call his suckling cooperation with his nurse, then maybe our sanctification is synergistic.

How does this philosophical perspective prevent an understanding that we are nothing more than an automaton?
Well, you would be doing them of your own free will, because you desire to. The more you are sanctified, mortify the flesh, and become more Christlike, the more your desire is to do good.
IMO, if you believe you must do good, working with God, for sanctification and conforming yourself to his image, then all of salvation is not of God, you play a small part.

Well, you would be doing them of your own free will, because you desire to. The more you are sanctified, mortify the flesh, and become more Christlike, the more your desire is to do good.
IMO, if you believe you must do good, working with God, for sanctification and conforming yourself to his image, then all of salvation is not of God, you play a small part.
We’re using some similar terminology but not connecting at the same destinations. Christians have been quickened. That means our spirit has been made alive (I imagine so far you don’t disagree). Our live spirit now has the power by faith in the Spirit (Who we now possess) to engage our will and do good. Seems simply synergistic, while at the same time acknowledging He deserves all the glory for empowering and enabling us, no bragging on ourselves is merited.

Sure.

But if the Bible issues a particular command for the people of God, and you refuse to do it, will the Holy Spirit do it for you?

:)
But if the Bible issues a particular command for the people of God, and you refuse to do it, will the Holy Spirit do it for you?
I'm not sure where you got that impression.
Of course, the Spirit doesn't do it for you.

We are not glorified yet, therefore we are not perfect and will at times refuse to do certain things. We still have the law of sin in us.

Are we talking about two different things?

Do you have a specific command in mind?

I like Donne's prayer.

Batter my heart, three-person'd God, for you
As yet but knock, breathe, shine, and seek to mend;
That I may rise and stand, o'erthrow me, and bend
Your force to break, blow, burn, and make me new.
I, like an usurp'd town to another due,
Labor to admit you, but oh, to no end;
Reason, your viceroy in me, me should defend,
But is captiv'd, and proves weak or untrue.
Yet dearly I love you, and would be lov'd fain,
But am betroth'd unto your enemy;
Divorce me, untie or break that knot again,
Take me to you, imprison me, for I,
Except you enthrall me, never shall be free,
Nor ever chaste, except you ravish me.

We’re using some similar terminology but not connecting at the same destinations.
Yes, I see that, and that's okay.
Christians have been quickened.
(y) That's why we are Christians.
That means our spirit has been made alive (I imagine so far you don’t disagree).
Nope, not at all.
Our live spirit now has the power by faith in the Spirit (Who we now possess) to engage our will and do good.
Our faith (gift of faith) is in Christ. I believe that is what you meant.

Seems simply synergistic, while at the same time acknowledging He deserves all the glory for empowering and enabling us, no bragging on ourselves is merited.
So, all God had to do was accept your faith and Bam! your now of to the races using your faith, working with God?

….

Our faith (gift of faith) is in Christ. I believe that is what you meant.

No, that’s not what I meant. I believe Scriptures teach us that our faith to live the Christian life comes from the power of the Spirit in us (Gal 5:16-18 et al).

Warren Weirsbe said, “What God the Father planned for you, and God the Son purchased for you on the cross, God the Spirit personalizes for you and applies to your life as you yield to Him.”

That is a pithy way of describing the agency of the Godhead in our salvation.
So, all God had to do was accept your faith and Bam! your now of to the races using your faith, working with God?
“God accepting your faith” (assuming you’re talking about regenerating faith) is monergistic (per Calvinistic tenets which I don’t exactly subscribe to, but that is off-topic for your OP). But in regards to “our faith” in the sense of our progressive sanctification I do believe Scripture teaches we mus work out our salvation with fear and trembling.

No, that’s not what I meant. I believe Scriptures teach us that our faith to live the Christian life comes from the power of the Spirit in us (Gal 5:16-18 et al).

Warren Weirsbe said, “What God the Father planned for you, and God the Son purchased for you on the cross, God the Spirit personalizes for you and applies to your life as you yield to Him.”

That is a pithy way of describing the agency of the Godhead in our salvation.

“God accepting your faith” (assuming you’re talking about regenerating faith) is monergistic (per Calvinistic tenets which I don’t exactly subscribe to, but that is off-topic for your OP). But in regards to “our faith” in the sense of our progressive sanctification I do believe Scripture teaches we mus work out our salvation with fear and trembling.
Okay, thankyou for explaining your understanding. :)

Do you have a specific command in mind?
If you need one, "be baptized."

But I think you've seen my point. Do we agree that we are not passive in our sanctification, as we are in regeneration?

If you need one, "be baptized."

But I think you've seen my point. Do we agree that we are not passive in our sanctification, as we are in regeneration?
Do we work with God in our salvation?