Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
In Memory of
Sandra Mayo
October 8, 1956 - September 29, 2017

a10565e2-059a-43f8-8d62-658b8175d834.jpg

Obituary

Sandra was born on October 8, 1956, in Athens, Texas to parents Hilma David and Lillie (Mixon) Mayo and entered into eternal rest on September 29, 2017, at the age of 60. Sandra was known as "Sandy" by her family and friends. Sandy excepted the Lord Jesus Christ as her personal Savior in 1973. She graduated from Mesquite High School in 1975 and went to Hyles Anderson College in Crown Point, IN; where she was recognized in Who's Who in American Teachers. Sandy graduated from Hyles Anderson in 1979; finishing with a Master's Degree. She then went to work for Hammond Baptist Grade School in Hammond, IN; where she remained teaching for 37 years. During her teaching career, she taught 4th and 6th-grade students. She was the cheerleading sponsor for 15-20 years and mentored 60-80 cheerleading students every year. Sandy was the principal's favorite advisory teacher and always chose her to teach the student teachers. Money was tight as a teacher; she worked part-time for Mary Kay, delivering papers and she bred hamsters and sold them. Sandy had many talents; painting, playing the acoustic and electric guitar, 12 string acoustic guitar, banjo, and piano. She was a ghostwriter for Cindy Lail and was recognized in her books. Sandy also enjoyed writing poetry and was a published poet. She wrote a poem called "On The Threshold of a Dream" and the book her poem was published in was titled after her poem. It is in the National Library of Poetry and Library of Congress. Sandy also wrote other poems that were published. She loved animals; if her students had an injured pet, they would bring it to her and she would nurse it back to health. Sandy has taken care of everything from rabbits, ducks, turtle, frogs, and birds. She had an injured Robin that she nursed back to health and it lived for 16 years. Sandy also had a pet chicken and she loved her dog, Coco. She was a member of First Baptist Church in Hammond, IN. Sandy was very active in her church and was often a speaker at Christian organizations. She taught 2nd grade Sunday school class and 6th-grade girls on Sunday evening. Sandy was the sweetest, kindest, loving person on Earth. She was a servant for the Lord all her life and she is with the Lord now with her robe, crown and many, many jewels.
Sandy was preceded in death by her father Hilma David Mayo, brother Bobby David Mayo and step-father Charles Wayne Gage.
She is survived by her mother Lillie Gage of Mabank, sister Shelia Mayo of Mabank, sister Angie Hawkins and husband Nick of Mabank, brother Ronnie Mayo and wife Yvonne of Mesquite, brother Terry Mayo and wife Debra of Tool, sister-in-law Debra Mayo of Kemp, numerous nieces and nephews, aunts and uncles, other loving family members and many more friends.

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Sandra-Mayo&lc=9954&pid=186805796&mid=7580960#.WdauSeXfoZo.facebook

Sorry to hear this.  Didn't know her.

Sorry to hear she "excepted the Lord Jesus Christ".  I can't believe they made such a blunder in an obit.

I knew Sandy I'm sad she never married. I'm praying for her family!!

Twisted said:
Sorry to hear this.  Didn't know her.

Sorry to hear she "excepted the Lord Jesus Christ".  I can't believe they made such a blunder in an obit.

Also the semi colon after IN is totally egregious. It is not necessary after a state abbreviation and does not separate two thoughts that could stand alone as two separate sentences.

I'm sorry to hear this. She was my brother's  4th grade (I believe) teacher.

Condolences to her family and friends.

Meanest most hateful teacher I ever had in my entire life :)

Smellin Coffee said:
I'm sorry to hear this. She was my brother's  4th grade (I believe) teacher.

Condolences to her family and friends.

For those of you who did know her, Terri (Simpson) Cook and many other former students of Sandy Mayo commented on the life of Sandy Mayo.  This link will take you to Terri's Facebook page and the post began on September 29.    https://www.facebook.com/terri.cook.9638?ref=br_rs