Saving Faith: Does it come from God or yourself?

I believe saving faith...

• Something that resides in myself

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FSSL

Staff member
Administrator
Doctor
Reaction score
Alayman introduced this topic in the Semipelagian thread and I don't want it to get lost. I believe the discussion is great! It is certainly worthy of discussion.

Alayman and I debated (or still are debating) Ephesians 2:8, which I contend is a good passage that teaches that saving faith is a gift from God (among many other things, obviously). That is not the only passage that teaches this... here are others:

• your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God’s power. 1 Co 2:5.
  • For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe in him, but also to suffer for him Php 1:29.
  • His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 2 Pe 1:3
  • I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief! Mk 9:24.
  • fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, Heb 12:2.

I believe saving faith is a gift from God but Ephesians 2:8 is not my proof text. Grace THROUGH Faith is the gift. This passage presents grace and faith as two sides of a coin, if you will.

I would also assert that it doesn't take much faith. "The Lord answered, “If you had faith even as small as a mustard seed, you could say to this mulberry tree, ‘May you be uprooted and be planted in the sea,’ and it would obey you!" It's not the amount of faith you have, it's where that faith is placed.

Also, faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. No amount of faith will save unless it comes from God's Word.

The natural man puts faith in stuff all the time. Atheists have tremendous faith but they are lost because that faith is in themselves, not God.

Therfore, saving faith is always accompanied by grace. Without grace, saving faith has nothing to adhere to.

A pertinent quote…

Men are saved by grace. . . and that salvation which has its origin in grace is not won from God, nor is it wrung from Him; “His is the gift.” Look at salvation in its origin—it is “by grace.” Look at it in its reception—it is “through faith.” Look at it in its manner of conferment—it is a “gift.” For faith, though an indispensable instrument does not merit salvation as a reward; and grace operating only through faith, does not suit itself to congruous worth, nor single it out as its sole recipient. Salvation, in its broadest sense, is God’s gift.—John Eadie

How many Arminians does it take to change a light bulb?

Answer: Only one, but first, the light bulb must really want to be changed.

How many Calvinists does it take to change a light bulb?

Answer: None, so sit down young man, if God wants the lightbulb changed He will change it Himself.
None. God loved the lightbulb from eternity past.

Non-Calvinist— And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

What do God's salvation and a new light bulb have in common?

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of Lights." James 1:17

What more proof does one need, than this?

Romans 12:3
For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

"Be humble, because God gave you your faith"?

Alayman and I debated (or still are debating) Ephesians 2:8, which I contend is a good passage that teaches that saving faith is a gift from God (among many other things, obviously). That is not the only passage that teaches this... here are others:

• your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God’s power. 1 Co 2:5.
  • For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe in him, but also to suffer for him Php 1:29.
  • His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 2 Pe 1:3
  • I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief! Mk 9:24.
  • fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, Heb 12:2.
By His grace & by His help, I add...

John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Matthew 11:25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes. 26 Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight. 27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. 21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Our believing in Jesus Christ is the result of the father drawing us unto the Son to reveal His Son to us so we can believe in Him, thus our believing in Jesus Christ a manifested work of God.

Hope it’s okay if I jump in and share my two cents.
I would also assert that it doesn't take much faith. "The Lord answered, “If you had faith even as small as a mustard seed, you could say to this mulberry tree, ‘May you be uprooted and be planted in the sea,’ and it would obey you!" It's not the amount of faith you have, it's where that faith is placed.
That’s a good point I haven’t heard anyone mention yet, “it doesn’t take much faith.”
I’d say you’re right. Faith is either genuine saving faith our faith in our faith which does not save.

Also, faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. No amount of faith will save unless it comes from God's Word.
What do you mean? Faith is generated from the word?
If so, I have to disagree.
The natural man puts faith in stuff all the time. Atheists have tremendous faith but they are lost because that faith is in themselves, not God.
Yes they have faith in their faith.
Therfore, saving faith is always accompanied by grace. Without grace, saving faith has nothing to adhere to.
Would you explain this? I’m not following.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hope it’s okay if I jump in and share my two cents.
Absolutely. We've been waiting for you to do so.

What do you mean? Faith is generated from the word?
If do, I have to disagree.
Romans 10:17: So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Essentially, someone can have faith of some sort but if that faith isn't fashioned or informed by the Word, it's useless.

Would you explain this? I’m not following.
Grace is more than God having mercy on a sinner. God told Paul in 2 Corinthians, "My grace is sufficient for you; My strength is made perfect in weakness."

When my wife had cancer nearly 10 years ago, before we knew her prognosis, we had a choice to make: were we going to fight this tooth and nail and in our own understanding or were we going to trust a loving God regardless of the results and let Him sustain us by His grace? Fortunately, we chose the latter and in faith, we experienced God's grace like never before. It was not an easy year for us but I wouldn't trade the trials of that year for all the comfort that we missed out on. Our faith made depending on His grace possible and that was more of a blessing than any amount of comfort could have provided.

Absolutely. We've been waiting for you to do so.
Oh okay. 😎
Romans 10:17: So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Essentially, someone can have faith of some sort but if that faith isn't fashioned or informed by the Word, it's useless.
But scripture does not of itself generate faith. If that were the case, everyone who hears it would have saving faith.

Faith comes and increases on hearing the word from a regenerate heart. This I can agree with.