SBC No Longer To Disqualify Candidates Who Speak In Tongues

This sort of thing is a part of the reasons of my departure of the SBC. There are so many problems in the SBC these days.

Ironically, this comes under the leadership of David Platt. Really saddened to hear it. I can tell you it wouldn't fly in my SBC church..,

If only the "tongues" referred to here were discernible languages (such as Acts 2 is clearly indicating) there wouldn't be a problem.  Gibberish doesn't glorify Christ , nor does it edify anyone. 

The sad thing is I know more.people who were once part of Pentecoastal/charismatic congregations who are now completely out of Christianity than I do folks who actually stayed in Pentecostalism and have grown spiritually. 
"Tongues" are merely an ego-trip by which someone can flaunt how spiritual they wish to appear to others.  It's a diversion designed to turn people from the Gospel to self-glorification and self-worship.  Truly dangerous. 

So, the concept is: To expand our missions outreach, we should expand our heresy?

Binaca Chugger said:
So, the concept is: To expand our missions outreach, we should expand our heresy?

Yea, kinda like "Everyone pray this prayer after me and you will all go to heaven."

Escapee said:
Binaca Chugger said:

Yea, kinda like "Everyone pray this prayer after me and you will all go to heaven."
So you believe that one heresy is okay because another group practices a different heresy?

LookToChrist said:
If only the "tongues" referred to here were discernible languages (such as Acts 2 is clearly indicating) there wouldn't be a problem.  Gibberish doesn't glorify Christ , nor does it edify anyone. 

The sad thing is I know more.people who were once part of Pentecoastal/charismatic congregations who are now completely out of Christianity than I do folks who actually stayed in Pentecostalism and have grown spiritually. 
"Tongues" are merely an ego-trip by which someone can flaunt how spiritual they wish to appear to others.  It's a diversion designed to turn people from the Gospel to self-glorification and self-worship.  Truly dangerous.

I think this is probably pretty close to reality. I have heard people speak in different languages and there is almost nothing that I can detect. I have also heard people speak in  'tongues' and it just seemed to be the same type of language pattern over and over. Much like babbling but it always sounded similar. I think I could do it with a little practice. ;)

Our SBC church has its own missionaries. The same problems exist among IFBs. I was at an 1989 IFB conference where a missionary got plenty of Amens and Hooyahs for walking on hot coals and performing miracles. At Northland, in 1999, a Mission Board executive claimed to have wondrous things happen to him in Vietnam.

Signs and Wonders are accepted among IFBS but not the tongue speak.

As for me, I reject it all and just try to align myself with a church that does not directly support these wackos. Associations, Fellowships and Conventions all have their problems.

All I have to say about this is, jollo alo honda kidiber ekapoodie beeyoo.

Speaking in tongues has long been allowed by the IFB man of God as "God told me" statements. 

I would have a very hard time speaking without my tongue.

No  surprise really. They or at least Acts 29 Network accept and teach continualism.  I'd like to ask them if we have apostles, prophets and gifts of healing (which isn't elders anointing with oil and praying for healing) too.

Like so many things said about the SBC...it's not quite as bad as some seem to infer...SBC is definitely not turning charismatic...from the International Mission Board website...

Q: What has changed related to speaking in tongues and private prayer languages?

A: A person who has spoken in tongues or may have a private prayer language is not automatically disqualified for missionary service. Further, IMB may still end employment for any missionary who places “persistent emphasis on any specific gift of the Spirit as normative for all or to the extent such emphasis becomes disruptive” to Southern Baptist missions work.

Q: Does this change mean that IMB missionaries will now speak in tongues and/or promote speaking in tongues around the world?

A: This is definitively not what this change means. Trustees voted this week specifically on the base qualifications for potential IMB missionaries in the church, not on the practical work of actual IMB missionaries on the field. This is a critical distinction, for over the course of appointing, training, and supervising missionaries, IMB addresses many significant theological, missiological, ecclesiological, and practical issues, including the use of tongues. Though these issues may not affect our base qualifications, they do affect our everyday work.  Through careful appointment, training, and supervisory processes, IMB ensures that every missionary remains resolutely focused on making disciples and multiplying churches in ways that faithfully represent Southern Baptist theology, missiology, ecclesiology, and practice.

T-Bone said:
Like so many things said about the SBC...it's not quite as bad as some seem to infer...SBC is definitely not turning charismatic...from the International Mission Board website...

Q: What has changed related to speaking in tongues and private prayer languages?

A: A person who has spoken in tongues or may have a private prayer language is not automatically disqualified for missionary service. Further, IMB may still end employment for any missionary who places “persistent emphasis on any specific gift of the Spirit as normative for all or to the extent such emphasis becomes disruptive” to Southern Baptist missions work.

Q: Does this change mean that IMB missionaries will now speak in tongues and/or promote speaking in tongues around the world?

A: This is definitively not what this change means. Trustees voted this week specifically on the base qualifications for potential IMB missionaries in the church, not on the practical work of actual IMB missionaries on the field. This is a critical distinction, for over the course of appointing, training, and supervising missionaries, IMB addresses many significant theological, missiological, ecclesiological, and practical issues, including the use of tongues. Though these issues may not affect our base qualifications, they do affect our everyday work.  Through careful appointment, training, and supervisory processes, IMB ensures that every missionary remains resolutely focused on making disciples and multiplying churches in ways that faithfully represent Southern Baptist theology, missiology, ecclesiology, and practice.

Sounds okay to me. I can think of worse (not saying ppl is bad) things people can do with their free time.

From the report of the decision, it appears that the driving factors in this decision are numbers and money... what the Scriptures say just isn't that important, apparently.