SBC passes sexual abuse of children resolution, should all churches do the same?

sword

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
In light of the number of church sexual abuse cases in recent yrs., should all Baptist churches publically pass similar resolutions & what else can be done to protect young people?

Southern Baptist Resulation passed this summer:

ON SEXUAL ABUSE OF CHILDREN June 2013

WHEREAS, The Bible is clear in its affirmation that children are a gift from the Lord (Psalm 127:3–5); and

WHEREAS, The Lord Jesus demonstrated His love for children by encouraging them to follow Him, correcting those who hindered them, and condemning those who harmed them (Matthew 18:3–6; Mark 10:13–14); and

WHEREAS, The sexual abuse of children remains an ever-increasing criminal offense with more than 1.8 million reported victims of sexual abuse by more than 750,000 child abuse perpetrators identified in the United States alone; and

WHEREAS, Tragically, instances of sexual abuse have been perpetrated within Southern Baptist congregations, churches of other denominations, and other Christian ministries; now, therefore, be it

RESOLVED, That the messengers to the Southern Baptist Convention meeting in Houston, Texas, June 11–12, 2013, call upon Southern Baptists to stand with our Lord Jesus in loving and protecting children as He does; and be it further

RESOLVED, That we remind all Southern Baptists of their legal and moral responsibility to report any accusations of child abuse to authorities in addition to implementing any appropriate church discipline or internal restoration processes; and be it further

RESOLVED, That we likewise call upon all Southern Baptists to cooperate fully with law enforcement officials in exposing and bringing to justice all perpetrators, sexual or otherwise, who criminally harm children placed in our trust; and be it further

RESOLVED, That we strongly urge Southern Baptist churches to utilize background checks like those provided through LifeWay Christian Resources (www.lifeway.com/backgroundchecks), databases of sexual predators such as the US Department of Justice sex offender database linked at SBC.net (www.SBC.net/localchurches/ministryhelp.asp), or other relevant resources in screening all potential staff and volunteer workers, particularly those who minister to children and youth; and be it further

RESOLVED, That we encourage pastors and church leaders to develop and implement sound policies and procedures to protect our children; and be it further

RESOLVED, That we encourage all denominational leaders and employees of the Southern Baptist Convention to utilize the highest sense of discernment in affiliating with groups and or individuals that possess questionable policies and practices in protecting our children from criminal abuse; and be it finally

RESOLVED, That we urge all Southern Baptists to pray for children who are victims of abuse, to stand for their protection from abuse, and to support safe and healthy children’s ministries in our churches and communities.

Unwashed pagans.

In this perverse generation it seems necessary to take action. Whether it be in form of passing a resolution or just taking the obvious steps in the resolution. I think it is also necessary for us to  stop blindly trusting in the church to protect our children while we leave the sheep with the wolves. I should be a no brainer that church positions that give adults power over children are very attractive to predators and we should all stay vigilant in protecting the precious gifts that God has granted us.

sword said:
In light of the number of church sexual abuse cases in recent yrs., should all Baptist churches publically pass similar resolutions & what else can be done to protect young people?

It's a good resolution. If churches don't pass it, they should certainly follow it.

Though I don't even understand why the question has to be asked. (Notwithstanding FBCH's ongoing love affair with its cadre of kiddie rapists - we all know they're a twisted parody of an actual church.)

Ransom said:
sword said:

It's a good resolution. If churches don't pass it, they should certainly follow it.

Though I don't even understand why the question has to be asked. (Notwithstanding FBCH's ongoing love affair with its cadre of kiddie rapists - we all know they're a twisted parody of an actual church.)

Sexual abuse in churches is not new & is not limited to one church or group of churches. A quick internet check will prove this.

At least the SBC is openly recognizing the problem & are publicly stating what they are going to do about it. My point is it's a start & better than saying "IT HAS NOT OR CAN NOT HAPPEN IN OUR CHURCH". I'm by no means a southern Baptist but I commend them for addressing this issue.

Is it common sense, YES

Yes, it's a good resolution.  And I pray ALL churches will follow it, resolution or not, as has been already stated.

I'm a relatively new Christian (saved in 2004).  One thing I have noticed...Christians can be quite naive.  Perhaps this is because many Christians raised from birth in the church have not been exposed to the darker side of human existence.  But their sheltered experience is far from reality.

In this day and age, we must be hyper-vigilant.  Not only are there are wolves already in our midst, more knock on our door every day.

I know it's a contentious subject, but I believe we should resolve, as the Church Universal, to disallow child molesters into our neighborhood churches.  No, I'm not advocating to cut them off from ministry altogether...but I am declaring that they should not be allowed into the same churches we invite our children into.

Every church should be a safe place for its members.

Therefore, I advocate for a church that is a safe for people who have abused children...a child-free church.  I envision such a church to be similar to a prison ministry.  There is a Pastor who will be given a burden for these particular people...   

yes, yes, yes.

Passing a resolution is nice.  Many churches in many groups make all sorts of public statements.  You do know that the resolution is really for legal purposes, right?

JS preached against fornication on the same day he was having an affair with a young girl.  It is not that the churches will not speak against the sin, it is that it still takes place.  Measures must be taken to prevent such issues.

Binaca Chugger said:
yes, yes, yes.

Passing a resolution is nice.  Many churches in many groups make all sorts of public statements.  You do know that the resolution is really for legal purposes, right?

JS preached against fornication on the same day he was having an affair with a young girl.  It is not that the churches will not speak against the sin, it is that it still takes place.  Measures must be taken to prevent such issues.

I agree totally & completely.

My point is a clear resolution can be a good first step in the long journey toward child safety.

It acknowledges the problem & that it could happen at your church. It also outlines the moral & legal obligation to not ignore the problem. Lastly it outlines suggestions for prevention and a course of action if abuse occurs.

My hope is each church would not only state their obvious position regarding abuse but would also develop a detailed prevention plan. 

Clearly words alone accomplish nothing. 

Excerpts from original SBC resolution on abuse:

The sexual abuse of children remains an ever-increasing criminal offense with more than 1.8 million reported victims of sexual abuse

Tragically, instances of sexual abuse have been perpetrated within Southern Baptist congregations, churches of other denominations, and other Christian ministries

That we remind all Southern Baptists of their legal and moral responsibility to report any accusations of child abuse to authorities in addition to implementing any appropriate church discipline or internal restoration processes

That we likewise call upon all Southern Baptists to cooperate fully with law enforcement officials in exposing and bringing to justice all perpetrators, sexual or otherwise, who criminally harm children placed in our trust; and be it further

That we strongly urge Southern Baptist churches to utilize background checks

That we encourage pastors and church leaders to develop and implement sound policies and procedures to protect our children