Separation: Primary, Secondary, Tertiary

subllibrm

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
For what purpose would someone practice separation? Which level is appropriate?

You cannot have John MacArthur speak at your conferences because he spoke at a Charismatic conference.

That's how it works/ed ^

You cannot have John MacArthur speak at your conferences because he spoke at a Charismatic conference.

That's how it works/ed ^
Should I be banned because I attend a church associated with a pastor who came out of the Four Square denomination?

That's how it works/ed ^
Johnny Mac's separation from The Gospel Coalition is a good example of secondary separation and one I believe to be necessary.

Should I be banned because I attend a church associated with a pastor who came out of the Four Square denomination?
LOL YES! Oh yes! That is totally unacceptable!!!! Stone him!!! ;) Christians are so good at shooting their own.

For those who do practice separation at some level, does it only apply to other Christians? It's been a long time but I do recall the days when we were regularly challenged to separate (or be separate from ) the world. Are these two different concepts?

The way I understand it is as follows:

Any church who preaches the gospel and brings people to Christ are church we should pray for and they are not the enemy. That being said not all evangilistic churches are churches we would closely associate with. We tend to closely associate with people of like belief.

Primary seperation: Are church we would not closely associate with, share meetings with or have joint activities with, because their doctrine or possible lifestyle standards differ significantly from ours.

Secondary seperation: We would not have a preacher speak for us or we would not attend one of his conferences if he preaches for or closely associates with churches that preach doctrine that greatly differs from what we believe.

Sample: many seperated from Billy Graham when he started having Catholic, Morman, and Muslim religous leaders on his platform.

Tertiary Seperation: as I understand it, is avoiding others because of the friends and associates that that person has. Not so diffent from secondary seperation. This principal can be taken to friends of friends of friends ect.

Leaders of churches often prefer to associate with pastors, speakers and colleges that believe very similar to themselves.

Ecclesiastical separation: is the idea that there are times when a church must evaluate it's current or potential ties to individuals, other churches, organizations, or denominations because of the presence of unbiblical doctrines or practices. Some reference 2 Corinthians 6:17

These terms are all used in advanced Chemistry"

Separation of primary, secondary and tertiary amines by Hoffmann’s method

Last edited:
For those who do practice separation at some level, does it only apply to other Christians? It's been a long time but I do recall the days when we were regularly challenged to separate (or be separate from ) the world. Are these two different concepts?
I was taught they are two different concepts, but both apply.

We are suppose to be in the world, but not of the world. We should be Involved at work and in our community enough to be an influence, and encouragment and a Christian example, but not so involved that the world becomes our closest friends. Close enough to be a good testomony and have an inpact, but not so close that they are our closest friends. Not so close that we pick up on their lifestyles and their worldly and often sinful practices.

Matthew 5:13-16

13 Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Like our music choices, the doctrine of seperation is very nuance and subjective. I have my views, but I try to never judge others for their choices and views on the subject. I think If you are in the world (work, school, community) and no one can tell your a Christian, no one can tell that's something different about you, then you may want to review your testomony and your level of seperation. This is a decision for each person and each church to practice as they feel lead of the Lord and not for me to make for others.

I think Billy Graham had some real seperation issues, yet he likely led more people to the Lord than any man that has ever lived.

Johnny Mac's separation from The Gospel Coalition is a good example of secondary separation and one I believe to be necessary.
MacArthur distanced himself from TGC because the organization itself went off the rails. How is that secondary?

I would think secondary separation meant disassociation with individuals or groups that were themselves associated with TGC. Yet John Piper, who is part of TGC's leadership, was on the platform just a week ago at the Shepherd's Conference.

That's how it works/ed ^
Johnny Mac probably doesn't know someone has "separated from him and wouldn't care if he did. Or is this usually an action taken towards someone with whom you have previously cooperated?

How is that communicated and to who? In the practical sense why separate, who benefits, and how?

What is the risk of not separating?

Anyone think this thread is about anything other than trying to say Christians cannot campaign for Trump?
Sounds like it's an attempt to shame anyone who would vote for Trump. If that's the case separate from me now. My vote would be for Trump.

Sounds like it's an attempt to shame anyone who would vote for Trump. If that's the case separate from me now. My vote would be for Trump.
I'll take it a step further: it was the results of the Washington State primary, in which Mrs. abcaines and I voted, that cemented his nomination. 😎

I'll take it a step further: it was the results of the Washington State primary, in which Mrs. abcaines and I voted, that cemented his nomination. 😎
Thank you.

i;m already separated by 6 time zones from anyone on the east coast.... and at least 3 time zones from everyone on the west coast.. ....... and after one more time zone to the west it;s tomorrow already...... just west of midway and it;s 24 hours in the future.... ....(well.... not really the future but friday here and saturday over there...). ... to many that;s a mind boggling concept.... :unsure:

Last edited:
What is the risk of not separating?
Not being obedient to one’s conscience as it relates to fidelity to the gospel and Christ’s commands, speaking both ecclesiastically and personally.