Sheriff on Boy

TheRealJonStewart

Elect
Reaction score
There was a press conference in the Antelope Valley with Chappell, Steve Knight (R-25), and Scott Wilk (R CA-38).

http://bpnews.net/46993/who-called-sheriff-on-boy-for-sharing-bible
https://twitter.com/PaulChappell/status/740315774150017024

I believe religion should be out of the public school but I do think sending a sheriff on a boy for this is a little too much... I have mixed opinion on this specific case.

[expletive removed by admin]

TheRealJonStewart said:
I believe religion should be out of the public school

Why? A ilttle boy talking about the Bible with another student is not Congress making a law respecting the establishment of religion. On the other hand, sending the cops to his place might well constitute abridging the free exercise thereof.

It is a well-established, constitutional right for students to practice their faith, spoken or written.
The case seems clear-cut to me.

On a related note: I am not a defender of Chappel or extreme IFBs. I will say, they have done some good for us in Michigan. If it were not for an IFBXr, we would not have the ease to homeschool our kids.

FSSL said:
It is a well-established, constitutional right for students to practice their faith, spoken or written.

On a related note: I am not a defender of Chappel or extreme IFBs. I will say, they have done some good for us in Michigan. If it were not for an IFBXr, we would not have the ease to homeschool our kids.

What did they do to help your home schooling?

TheRealJonStewart said:
FSSL said:

What did they do to help your home schooling?

They were the primary force to push the issue in Michigan. They took advantage of the mid 90's political atmosphere to have the laws and regulations relaxed. My family benefitted from those changes as well.

It was a huge "the sky is falling" fight back then. Interesting to note how few people care anymore. Between schools of choice, charter schools and homeschooling no one seems to even bat an eyelash at what/where/how kids are educated.

We don't have to have an umbrella school.
we have no reporting requirements.
We make our own diplomas

FSSL said:
We make our own diplomas

I have no doubt that you make that work well for your family...that is not the case for every family.

You are right. There are some that don't do well. Those families don't do well by their children in any schooling context.

I have two very dyslexic children that would have been placed into special ed in a public school setting. They have done extremely well being homeschooled.

LongGone said:
FSSL said:
We make our own diplomas

I have no doubt that you make that work well for your family...that is not the case for every family.

And?

Some people aren't very good at living life in general. What should we do about that?

subllibrm said:
LongGone said:
FSSL said:
We make our own diplomas

And?

Some people aren't very good at living life in general. What should we do about that?

Accountability is not a bad thing.  The reason we have laws is because some people aren't very good at living life in general.

LongGone said:
subllibrm said:
LongGone said:
FSSL said:
We make our own diplomas

And?

Accountability is not a bad thing.  The reason we have laws is because some people aren't very good at living life in general.

And?

Are you proposing something?