Should pastors do this?

NKJV1982

Elect
Reaction score
Before this election for President, should pastors speak from the pulpit to encourage their members to vote, and should they tell what the difference is between the two candidates. Can they do this without endorsing a candidate?

Sure.  They can endorse too if they want.  Why not?  Of course they might split the church.

Black churches do it all the time.

Should they? No.

Can they? Yes.

NKJV1982 said:
Before this election for President, should pastors speak from the pulpit to encourage their members to vote, and should they tell what the difference is between the two candidates. Can they do this without endorsing a candidate?

Pastors should absolutely encourage members to vote.

It is possible to educate about the difference between candidates without endorsing one (implicitly, not necessarily explicitly). When one lists differences with "good" or "bad" attributes applied to them, one is endorsing.  But it is possible to list the differences the candidates have without labeling one or the other as good or bad.

I do not want to hear political endorsements from the pulpit....period!

Billy

NKJV1982 said:

Should pastors speak from the pulpit to encourage their members to vote? Yes

Should they tell what the difference is between the two candidates? Yes

Can they do this without endorsing a candidate?Yes

Now can they endorse a candidate? Of course they can.

Since we live in a country we we can have a say so in the government, we should use that privilege to do so.

If a candidate favors killing children in the 9th month of pregnancy and a pastor does NOT preach against it - he is a hireling.

Liberty1 said:
If a candidate favors killing children in the 9th month of pregnancy and a pastor does NOT preach against it - he is a hireling.

Are you suggesting that during every election cycle preachers must preach about abortion?

One sermon?

A series?

Wall to wall condemnation?

subllibrm said:
Liberty1 said:

Are you suggesting that during every election cycle preachers must preach about abortion?

One sermon?

A series?

Is it not Biblical to preach against immorality in government?
Shall we look at some examples?

Liberty1 said:
subllibrm said:
Liberty1 said:

One sermon?

A series?

So why limit it to abortion?

subllibrm said:
Liberty1 said:
subllibrm said:
Liberty1 said:

One sermon?

A series?

So why limit it to abortion?

I wonder how many in our good churches have no problem with abortions, or homosexuals getting married.

I think if we knew how many things people really don't care about, we would be surprised.

Last Wednesday night I denounced both candidates as unfit for the presidency.  I was speaking on Solomon's prayer at the temple dedication where he asked for vindication for the righteous and justice upon the  guilty.  It is not justice for either one of these candidates to be rewarded with the presidency with all of their immorality, corruption, and dishonesty. 

I told them that I understood if they voted for "the lesser of 2 evils" but we should be demanding that they all step aside. 

The biggest thing I want them to understand is that our hope is not in politics.  We will survive Trump or Clinton. 

cpizzle said:
The biggest thing I want them to understand is that our hope is not in politics.  We will survive Trump or Clinton.

Well... depends upon what you mean by "We" - there is no guarantee from God that America will go on, or even be a blessed nation. In fact, given our level of sin (approaching to Sodom & Gomorrah), it is only because of His mercy that "we" (nationally) are not destroyed.

Certainly the Christian's hope is in the Lord, not in a particular person or party.  "We" as Christians have a certain, blessed future to look forward to, regardless of what happens to our country.

Walt said:
NKJV1982 said:

Pastors should absolutely encourage members to vote.

It is possible to educate about the difference between candidates without endorsing one (implicitly, not necessarily explicitly). When one lists differences with "good" or "bad" attributes applied to them, one is endorsing.  But it is possible to list the differences the candidates have without labeling one or the other as good or bad.

What Walt said!